Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB port issue

gregm1948

I just got a use Helix and everything was going fine til I tried to hook up to the iMac via USB.  The USB cable does not fit snugly into the port on the machine.  In fact, it dangles downwards.  I tried 3 other cables so that's not the issue.  It is so loose that it won't connect with the computer at all.  I've tried holding it in place with no success.  I do have a ticket into Line 6 but I hope maybe someone here has experience with this and has a solution!

On 9/21/2019 at 10:38 PM, gregm1948 said:

I just got a use Helix and everything was going fine til I tried to hook up to the iMac via USB.  The USB cable does not fit snugly into the port on the machine.  In fact, it dangles downwards.  I tried 3 other cables so that's not the issue.  It is so loose that it won't connect with the computer at all.  I've tried holding it in place with no success.  I do have a ticket into Line 6 but I hope maybe someone here has experience with this and has a solution!

8 hours ago, Levite777 said:

same issue here man.. im following this thread:)

I really cannot understand what exactly the problem is?

Doesn’t fit snugly and dangles down?

You tried 3 other cables so that’s not the issue?

It’s not exactly clear what is not the issue, cables or socket?!

None of the cables work, or do they, but they all dangle down? (that’s the force of gravity!)

A cable is a cable, it either works or it doesn’t.

If there is no physical break In the cable and it has the correct plug/terminals they simply plug in, unless the socket is broken.

Does it look damaged?

With something so vague as the information supplied here, you really need to grab your phone and take a picture because this is just... 

Yeah, right.

On every device I've ever used with the squared USB port, the end of the cable clicks into place.  That includes the HX Effects I have.  The cables lock into the jack, no problem . On the Helix, the plug end just barely stays in, dangling downward.  It is visibly larger than the one on the HX Effects.  I found a Mickey Mouse solution, however.  I cut a thin piece of electrical tape, wrapped it around the jack itself, which then fit more secureley into port/socket .   Once I did that, I plugged the other end into a USB hub, which Line 6 apparently does not recommend.  Worked like a charm.  HX Edit now sees my unit and I can do all the functions on the computer.  

7 hours ago, gregm1948 said:

I cut a thin piece of electrical tape, wrapped it around the jack itself, which then fit more secureley into port/socket .

Hi,

Well, jury rigging the cable may work as a temporary solution, but for safety’s sake, I would seriously recommend that you have the unit repaired by a qualified tech. Until then take care, as any disturbance to the connection will cause data loss and “device not recognised” messages - and that way madness lies!

10 hours ago, gregm1948 said:

On the Helix, the plug end just barely stays in, dangling downward.  It is visibly larger than the one on the HX Effects. 

There is something wrong with the USB port on the Helix if what you are saying it accurate. Just like any other USB B port... the cable should lock in firmly. 

On 9/21/2019 at 4:38 PM, gregm1948 said:

I just got a use Helix and everything was going fine til I tried to hook up to the iMac via USB. 

I assume you mean "got a USED helix".... maybe that is why the person sold it! If they were rough on it and broke the USB port then they may have thought they could never update again... pawning if off on you! 

A qualified tech can fix that in the heartbeat... take the unit in for service.

• 7 months later...

This is a VERY common problem.

I don't own one single piece of gear that uses the square USB Type B connectors that hasn't had a problem. As far as connectors go it's a bad mechanical design. I've played with cables and even yanked out old jacks and put in new ones that from the get go were just as bad as the old ones. Unless the pins are busted/flattened/lost tension changing the jack doesn't do anything.

Yes ... the plug (male) locks into the jack (female) ... but that doesn't solve the problem.

There are 2 basic problems ...

1) Excessive side/side and up/down play. The jack simply doesn't fit the plug well ... and it's universal.

2) The width of the 4 plug conductors.

I've found no differences in jacks (female) but all plugs (male) are not the same. The exterior metal section is the ground and some are long and some are short ... the difference is about 1/8 inch. Long ones wobble around more than short ones because they don't seat as well in the jack ... about 1/8 inch of the metal ground sticks out past the surface of the jack. I've had long plugs that when fully locked into the jack can still be pulled in and out about 1/8 inch with zero resistance. This lousy fit lets the jack dangle down at an angle and/or be pulled to the side and it's so wobbly that even a slight movement of the jack can result in loss of power or data to the equipment. The shorter jacks are only slightly better in this regard but the fit is still lousy and they're only just slightly less prone to dropping connections.

I've seen two styles of the 4 conductors in the plug. Some are a little skinny and others are slightly wider. It's a subtle difference but when you can see the plugs side by side the difference is apparent. The plugs with the wider conductors are less prone to dropping connection due to the lousy fit.

Paying attention to these subtleties when you buy your cables can help with the problem ... but fact is ... the square USB Type B jack to plug fit will still be lousy. Once dropping connection becomes too frustrating about the only thing you can do is jam something into the gap to tighten up the fit or ditch the square USB Type B scheme for something that fits tighter. Replacing the Type B jack will buy you time if you're lucky but will not fix the problem.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...