Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod HD500x midi control ability

jeffmcalpin62

Hello all,

I hope you all can help me with an unusual question. I currently own a Pod HD500x, a Variax JTV 69, an M13, and a recent purchase of a Blackstar ID Core 100 amp to compliment my Fender Blues Jr. My question is that I'm thinking of purchasing the HX FX for some of the newer effects and IR capabilities and I do NOT want to rid myself of any of the old equipment due to saved presets, (Yes I'm a bit Lazy to recreate) and in the case of the Pod, Variax connectivity. Can I use the Pod to control and change presets on the Pod itself and the M13 and HX FX  while using my Variax? I play simple acoustic shows, but also play within a cover band that covers a vast catalogue. The M13 is on a shelf in a Gator case and I intend to put the HX FX in the case on a shelf as well. I like using only one amp and with the Blackstar could use channel switching, which I know the HX can do, but not certain about the Pod's ability to control as well as all the others.

I'm looking for routing, connection help with whatever is possible as well as any tutorials on programming the Pod to control everything. I wish the HX had Variax connectivity, but only my Pod does and I have to have it.

Thank you for reading and hopefully helping me!

9 hours ago, jeffmcalpin62 said:

Can I use the Pod to control and change presets on the Pod itself and the M13 and HX FX  while using my Variax?

it should be possible, by chain linking the devices via MIDI, with the POD first as MIDI master control.

every time you change preset on the POD it automatically transmits a program change via MIDI following a predefined table of values.

eg bank 1 preset A --> MIDI program change #000,

bank 1 preset B --> program change #001, and so on..

just organize the presets in the other connected devices so that they follow the same order.

as for your new digital amp blackstar, if you buy the HX FX you can connect it to it to get the channel switching, while the HX FX will in turn be controlled via MIDI from the POD (MIDI master control in all the chained devices)

9 hours ago, jeffmcalpin62 said:

I like using only one amp and with the Blackstar could use channel switching, which I know the HX can do, but not certain about the Pod's ability to control as well..

Your amp can be controlled directly by devices like HX FX, but not directly by the POD.

To control directly your amp with the POD you need an additional device, ie a Control Switcher, like shown in the following clip:

but if you add the HX FX to your arsenal you don't need anymore a Control Switcher

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

Thank you for the response @hurghanico! It is a good start for me. I need to do more homework on how to route everything now and programming the changes into my POD. I've had the M13 for some time, but never used it for midi and the Pod is also new to me with regards to midi as I've never had a need for it until now.