Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Stomp vs Headrush Gigboard

tforest

I am a Line 6 user and have enjoyed my HD500 board for many years.  I realize though I only use about 10% of its capability and I'd like to downsize to something smaller.  Im also a Variax owner, but I am considering selling it and moving back to a traditional classic electric. 

Here is my typical set up on the HD500 in a live setting (church). I primarily focus on 2 banks with 4 tones (acoustic, clean electric,  electric with more drive and effects, and then a solo).  I also occasionally use another bank with all acoustic effects, and then one with all electric effects. I love how my HD500 allows me to easily use the foot switches to bounce between the different banks.

I would love to get a Stomp, however Im unclear how I can obtain a similar set up where I can change between banks without bending down in a live setting.

Im also toying with a Gigboard. I like it that it has 4 foot switches. The touch screen menu driven interface seems to be more intuitive then the Stomp.  Im not sure how it allows you to move between banks either though.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks  

I suggest you download and read the manuals for each product to get a better sense of how they would meet your needs and preferences. The HX Stomp manual is here:

https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4010c935bb66a4c0c44f/application/pdf/HX Stomp Manual - English .pdf

Page 10 gives a good overview of how to use the footswitches (no bending down) to navigate among presets.

7 hours ago, tforest said:

I would love to get a Stomp, however Im unclear how I can obtain a similar set up where I can change between banks without bending down in a live setting.

Im also toying with a Gigboard. I like it that it has 4 foot switches. The touch screen menu driven interface seems to be more intuitive then the Stomp.  Im not sure how it allows you to move between banks either though.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks  

I don't own a Gigboard, so it's pretty hard for me to comment on that. I did own the Pod HD 500x, and when I decided to go from that to either the Stomp or the Gigboard I reviewed both as best I could. 

In the end, I went with the Stomp because I personally feel that it has far better routing capabilities, and I like the sound more. Particularly coming from the 500x, while it is not a 1 to 1 setup in UI, it the HX line was an evolution of those ideas in the 500 to the next level, so I think it's easier for a Line 6 user to adapt to it. The big advantage of the Gigboard is it's just as powerful as its older brother. The Stomp is often compared to a baby Helix, and there's a lot of truth to that. It's six block limit is quite a bit less than the 32 conceivable blocks on its older brother. Despite those differences, for me, I've never doubted the decision. 

Looking back at the Stomp, while you can switch presets with just the main device, I would strongly advise anyone who gets the Stomp to drop another $20 on a dual foot switch or go all out for the $130 expression pedal with the toe switch (that's what I do). This is because it grants you two extra buttons which can do a lot for ease of use with the Stomp without ever bending down. In my setup, I have the dual expression pedal. I use expression pedal 1 as my control for all volume bocks, wah, etc. Then the toe switch is set to cycle through Stomp modes (preset mode, snapshot mode, stomp mode, etc.). 

This setup gives me a lot of versatility without ever bending over. 

15 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I would strongly advise anyone who gets the Stomp to drop another $20 on a dual foot switch or go all out for the $130 expression pedal with the toe switch (that's what I do).

What expression pedal do you use? I think that's a great advice, and I'm probably gonna go for it, just need to find a suitable pedal.

4 hours ago, glebb said:

What expression pedal do you use? I think that's a great advice, and I'm probably gonna go for it, just need to find a suitable pedal.

This is the one. It's pricey, but it's built like a tank, and the toe switch option is nice.