Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hooking up to a Cabinet

davidnewell949

I have a spider v 240hc. Looking at a Harley Benton 212 cabinet. Cab specs are 120w @ 8ohn mono and 60w @ 16ohm stereo.  Can I safely plug in without damaging my amp? I am almost certain it ok but want to double check. Really don't want a 412 at this time. Also if it does hook up will or how much power/quality will I lose?

side question. Is the wireless system ok with active pu?

You’ll be fine with that cab. You could hook it up one either mono or stereo. The Spider V HC’s speaker outputs are rated for a minimum 4 Ohm load, so as long as you don’t go below that it will work. Dealing with solid state amps is a little easier than dealing with tube amps because exactly matching the output impedance isn’t critical.

You need to hook it up in stereo with both outputs of the amp.  Plugging in only one side of the amp output could cause a problem in the amp's circuitry over time due to the imbalance.  Note that with 16 ohm impedance, the volume will be lower than with a 4 ohm or 8 ohm cabinet.

1 hour ago, fflbrgst said:

You need to hook it up in stereo with both outputs of the amp.  Plugging in only one side of the amp output could cause a problem in the amp's circuitry over time due to the imbalance.  Note that with 16 ohm impedance, the volume will be lower than with a 4 ohm or 8 ohm cabinet.

It doesn't have to be hooked up in stereo. It can be hooked up in mono by using only the left speaker output. It doesn't bridge the outputs, but I do believe it will automatically sum the stereo signal to mono by only using the left output. There's no risk in only running one side of the power amp, though. If his cab can handle a stereo input, though, there's no reason to not use it.

22 hours ago, phil_m said:

It doesn't have to be hooked up in stereo. It can be hooked up in mono by using only the left speaker output. It doesn't bridge the outputs, but I do believe it will automatically sum the stereo signal to mono by only using the left output. There's no risk in only running one side of the power amp, though. If his cab can handle a stereo input, though, there's no reason to not use it.

Ok, then that is a (new) feature of the Spider V.  On the Spider IV, it was definitely an issue and was detailed in the amp manual.

2 hours ago, fflbrgst said:

Ok, then that is a (new) feature of the Spider V.  On the Spider IV, it was definitely an issue and was detailed in the amp manual.

Honestly, it shouldn't be an issue with the Spider IV, either (and I don't see anything in the manual that warns against it). Solid state amps will be fine without a load connected. Perhaps you're thinking of the Spider Valve?

31 minutes ago, davidnewell949 said:

kind off the subject but i keep getting different answers about active pickups. i have heard its ok, other say it sound awful, or its ok but turn down the gain, and one said to remove the battery. any thoughts on this?
also, is the g10t ok to use on active pickups?

The issue is that some active pickups don't like being connected to a TRS plug like the G10T uses. There are some that won't turn on (seems relatively rare). There are some that will exhibit a high-pitched squeal. And there are some that will work fine. Sometimes these issues can be solved by using the little TRS to TS adapter the G10T comes with. Sometimes they can't. I know that's not a definitive answer, but unfortunately there isn't a definitive answer without knowing some more information. What type of guitar/pickups are you using?

You might want to check out this thread:

21 hours ago, phil_m said:

Honestly, it shouldn't be an issue with the Spider IV, either (and I don't see anything in the manual that warns against it). Solid state amps will be fine without a load connected. Perhaps you're thinking of the Spider Valve?

Ok, in that case, I must point our your error - and perhaps you are incorrect about the Spider V.  Its not detailed in the (rather useless) Spider IV manual, but is a known issue, and is covered in the FAQs: 

46 minutes ago, fflbrgst said:

Ok, in that case, I must point our your error - and perhaps you are incorrect about the Spider V.  Its not detailed in the (rather useless) Spider IV manual, but is a known issue, and is covered in the FAQs: 

What the FAQ is saying is that is if you connect the Spider IV head to the Spider IV cabinet, you have to do it in stereo. If you try to connect it mono, the total load will be 4 Ohms, which is too low for a single output jack. It doesn’t have anything to do with it being balanced. That doesn’t matter in a solid state amp. I’ve stereo power amps where only one side was connected a ton of times over the years. You just have to mindful of the minimum Ohm ratings of the jacks and th impedance of the cabs you’re connecting. Running one with no load connected just means the output will be zero.

Sorry, Phil, you are wrong.  Did you read the threads linked?  The Line 6 tech person's answers indicate both sides need to be connected.  its a well-known issue.  The left and right outputs are separate, so the impedance load has nothing to do with it.  If the outputs' impedances were summed, that would be correct, but they are not, they are separate (stereo).  the only way 2 4-ohm outputs would add together to 8 ohms would be if they are were wired in series, and that would make them mono.

2 hours ago, fflbrgst said:

Sorry, Phil, you are wrong.  Did you read the threads linked?  The Line 6 tech person's answers indicate both sides need to be connected.  its a well-known issue.  The left and right outputs are separate, so the impedance load has nothing to do with it.  If the outputs' impedances were summed, that would be correct, but they are not, they are separate (stereo).  the only way 2 4-ohm outputs would add together to 8 ohms would be if they are were wired in series, and that would make them mono.

Respectfully,  I don't want to debate here. If you think I'm wrong, that's OK. I don't believe I am, but I'm willing to being persuaded. None of the information in those threads posted above make much sense to me from a technical perspective. There could be something relatively exotic about these power amps, but I'd be surprised if that's the case. I've had and used all sorts of solid state amps over the years, and none of them cared about being powered up in a no load state.

• 6 months later...

I have a Marshall 100 watt 1960AX Vintage Cabinet 4 x 12" that is 16ohms with mono connection. I want to buy the Spider V 240 Head, but want to ensure I get a suitable impedance match before committing to buying. Can I run these safely together and if so at what ohm out from the head?

Thanks - Paul

394.JPG

396.JPG