Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix/HX 2.82 Out

Digital_Igloo

15 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

Just bug fixes, but there are a lot of 'em: 

Bug fixes or not, it appears that this was posted to the FarceBuck Helix Group before here. 

Maybe the folks who have an aversion to FB are being disadvantaged, because the supposed “official sticky thread” usually updated by DI and Line 6 Tony has not been updated, but hey, why worry about that because the Helix Native section of this forum still lists a post made by DI in January 2018 for version 1.50.

One thing to bear in mind - the release notes for this update have been “cannibalised” from a previous set of notes. At Step 4 Updating the  Factory Presets - STOP! In a FB post by Igor Stolarsky he states “There are no new presets in this update”, therefore, as stated above it is lots of bug fixes.

Stand by for lots of newbies screaming “update bricked my Helix”. Just so ya all know!

Not to nitpick...but I noticed that under Step 2, the links that are supposed to be for HX Edit, for both Mac & Windows, points to the firmware file and not HX Edit.  Furthermore, Mac is misspelled to read as Max....assuming Apple hasn't re-branded their entire line of Macintosh computers.  

How are we expected to keep our torches lit and pitchforks ready for the next person who fails at an update when the instructions aren't exactly perfect?

Yea this was rushed a bit but hey Im sure I don't want the blood pressure levels some of these guys are under. Not having or taking the time to proofread the patch notes, given that after all the errors that were made on the consumers side (by not reading or using Windows or both), does not tend to help (even if the patch is mucho appreciated). So Please tell D.I.'s boss to take a freekin valium. 

36 minutes ago, spikey said:

Not having or taking the time to proofread the patch notes...

O.K. I did mention the minor error in the notes, and that’s kinda trivial, but my real point was the news of the 2.82 release wasn’t posted along with all the others in the “Sticky Thread” near the top of these pages. If it’s in there it’s a lot more visible to readers, than having to scroll through the whole batch of other posts. I nearly missed it myself.

My other point was (and I appreciate that nobody can be in two places simultaneously), that the news seemed to be out on BookFace before it hit here. As I understand there are quite a few members on here who would rather have nothing to do with FB and avoid it like the plague. Because the news wasn’t in the usual Pinned Thread it was very easy to miss it. I know that even though this is listed as a Line 6 discussion group you rarely encounter their presence. You have a better chance of seeing info being posted by Frank R and Eric over on the Helix groups on TGP or FarceBuck.

This is getting to be the island of lost souls.

I do appreciate the hard work that has gone into squishing the bugs

28 minutes ago, datacommando said:

O.K. I did mention the minor error in the notes, and that’s kinda trivial,

I know what you are getting at and yes it did need to be more toward the top, but I disagree about the text being trivial. After all the issues in updating I would think that the patch notes need to be "exact" and at an 8th grade reading level. That said, after thinking about it if you are not gonna read it anyway.... sigh...

• Haha 1

I am one of those who purposely doesn't do any kind of social media.  I don't even visit TGP anymore.  So it would be nice if they updated the firmware sticky I subscribed to so as to get proper notifications.  

Alternatively, I suppose I could just wait another ~3 months to receive a direct email from Line 6 telling me 2.8.2 has just been released.

I appreciate all the hard work that goes into these free updates but for the love of god, I wished someone at Line 6 would either, update the firmware sticky thread regularly -or- just delete it.

• Like 3

The link to the Helix (floor) Version is broken. At least the mac version. The other download links for 2.8.2 stuff are fine.

i get this below on that link and copying and pasting that link part of the error starts the download tough.

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://l6c-acdn2.line6.net/media/software/9318/HELIX_Floor_v2.82.0_a5e756144_bundle.hxf
Line Number 1, Column 5:

58 minutes ago, xgman said:

The link to the Helix (floor) Version is broken. At least the mac version. The other download links for 2.8.2 stuff are fine.

i get this below on that link and copying and pasting that link part of the error starts the download tough.

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://l6c-acdn2.line6.net/media/software/9318/HELIX_Floor_v2.82.0_a5e756144_bundle.hxf
Line Number 1, Column 5:

Those links are to the firmware files and not to HX Edit.  That is an error on Line 6's part.  Use this link https://line6.com/software/index.html to go to the front end of the downloads page.  Download HX Edit 2.82.  Then resume the instructions from Step 2 - Number 4.

Didn't see it mentioned in the release notes, but It appears they fixed the LFO reset problem.

HX Edit still has a repeatable disconnect problem under certain circumstances when using Helix's midi over usb, but not when using an alternative usb-to-midi cable going to Helix's midi ports.

On 9/29/2019 at 1:16 PM, Ka5par said:

Anybody know if the snapshot bybass bug has been fixed - after dragging a block to a different slot and back some blocks don't have the right bypass state for snapshots?

Don't know if it is related to what you were experiencing but this is one of the bug fixes listed for 2.82.

Bug Fixes in 2.82

" HX Edit—After cutting or clearing a block, its bypass/controller assignments could be lost "

18 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

Don't know if it is related to what you were experiencing but this is one of the bug fixes listed for 2.82.

Bug Fixes in 2.82

" HX Edit—After cutting or clearing a block, its bypass/controller assignments could be lost "

This might be it. Only way to know for sure, is to update.

I updated my Helix last night from 2.70 to 2.82.  Made backups, full and individual setlists prior to updating. Update went smooth. Problem is now my snapshots are not working. Still have all of my setlists.  The snapshots are missing the labels that they had in v2.70 i.e 'Clean' 'Chorus', 'Lead' etc.  now the snapshots are just generic names like 'Snapshot 1' Snapshot 2' etc.  I tried importing one of my saved setlists but that did not fix problem.  Also sometimes when I step on snapshot the changes do not take effect.  Anyone else having these problems with snapshots in v2.82 ?  Any suggestions ?

10 minutes ago, marhil said:

I updated my Helix last night from 2.70 to 2.82.  Made backups, full and individual setlists prior to updating. Update went smooth. Problem is now my snapshots are not working. Still have all of my setlists.  The snapshots are missing the labels that they had in v2.70 i.e 'Clean' 'Chorus', 'Lead' etc.  now the snapshots are just generic names like 'Snapshot 1' Snapshot 2' etc.  I tried importing one of my saved setlists but that did not fix problem.  Also sometimes when I step on snapshot the changes do not take effect.  Anyone else having these problems with snapshots in v2.82 ?  Any suggestions ?

Did you do a factory reset before restoring from backup? If not, I'd try that. Hold down FS9 and FS10 while powering up. Then restore from your backup again.

1 minute ago, marhil said:

Thanks Phil.  I did not try the factory reset before restoring setlists from backup.  Will try when I get a chance. Does the FS9 & FS10 reset bring in the new factory preset patches from 2.82 ? Thinking it does.

Yes, it does. If you want to keep those, you can uncheck the boxes for the FACTORY1, FACTORY2 and TEMPLATES setlists when you do the Restore from Backup.

1 hour ago, GuitarAnthony said:

Either I completely missed the announcement or Line 6 doesn't love me but I never saw anything about 2.82. Well, it's done now & have updated my Helix & HX Stomp.

For whatever reason, Line 6 saw fit to announce it on Facebook first.  And when they announced it here, it was in the form of a regular post instead of updating the firmware update thread a lot of us subscribed to.   Not exactly the way I would have done it.  Not to fear, in about 6-8 more weeks, you should get an email informing you of this latest release. :-)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, benjaminbatalla said:

Hi, I updated my Helix LT but faced issue. There was error and could not connect to the updater even I entered to Update Mode.

There are two potential problems...

• You did not update HX Edit to the correct version PRIOR to attempting the update. 
    or
  • You have HX Edit open while you are attempting to run the updater. 

9 hours ago, benjaminbatalla said:

Hi, I updated my Helix LT but faced issue. There was error and could not connect to the updater even I entered to Update Mode.

Any recommendations?

If the update mode(FS6+12) does not help, close all line6/audio software and turn off / unplug the Helix. Then reinstall HX Edit 2.82 with all included drivers.

Start the Helix and the Updater.

I get the following error when trying to install HX Edit.

“HX Edit.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.  This software needs to be updated.  Contact the developer for more information.  This is on MAC Catalina.

7 hours ago, francric said:

I get the following error when trying to install HX Edit.

“HX Edit.pkg” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.  This software needs to be updated.  Contact the developer for more information.  This is on MAC Catalina.

I 'm not sure this works: Right click the file and click open. This should bring a pop-up window with an options to open the file anyway

• 2 months later...

Solved my own problem. For OS X (Catalina at least), go to: System Preferences | Security & Privacy | General ... The Helix installer should be in queue to load under the "Allow apps downloaded from" section and then click Open Anyway. Follow the prompts to bypass Apple's validation process. To find this, I searched on "bypassing Apple installation blocker" and found out that Apple would like OEMs to register and become an identified developer; not sure if Line 6 did or will do this, but that was the issue. Easily bypassed and my Helix is now updating its firmware. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...