Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Procedure to install HX Edit on PC when Helix LT has 2.8.1 installed from vendor

Hey_Joe

Hey all -

Just trying to get my ducks in a row here.

I have a Helix LT set to deliver tomorrow from Sweetwater.
It will be delivered with the latest firmware (2.8.1) installed by their techs.
I do not find the INSTRUCTIONS to focus on an already up to date Helix.

I just want to clarify my path to installing the Helix platform onto my PC. Since the current FW is already installed I presume all I need to do is DL HX Edit and follow the prompts. The "UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS" tell me to run the Updater after the Edit package is installed.
Just curious if the Updater will skip updating if the platform is current as it will recognize the unit and the PC are up to date.
Can I skip the updater and quit the process outlined in the UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS thread, since I am not updating the hardware at this point?
Why ask for trouble and re-flash if it's not needed? I do not want to assume anything.

Glad to finally advance into the world of the Helix after reading the forum and excessively craving it since it's launch.
Been with Line 6 since my XT Live, X3 Live, HD500, Spiders and 300, 600, JTV69, JTV59 Variaxes...so, it's high time to have a Helix.
Next step - Powercab Plus.

Thanks in advance,
Hey_Joe

SURPRISE! NEW VERSION! v2.82 just out!

Since your Helix is brand new, no need to do anything except DL and install HX Edit 2.82, then run the updater.

BUT... read the directions anyway, it's good practice for v2.83. The list of bug fixes and known issues is included there. Good to know.

DO NOT CONNECT YOUR HELIX TO A HUB!

Close down everything else on your computer while updating.

I just updated my Floor and my Stomp from 2.81.

Piece o' cake!

Wow...2.82. DI's post wasn't there an hour ago. Line 6 is on top of things as always.

4 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

Since your Helix is brand new, no need to do anything except DL and install HX Edit 2.82, then run the updater.

Does the Updater do something else as well as updating FW? Just curious about why to run the Updater if in fact it only updates FW.

BUT... read the directions anyway, it's good practice for v2.83. The list of bug fixes and known issues is included there. Good to know.

I hear ya - and have read and re-read the update threads but this is not Monkeyland anymore, it's uncharted territory for me - so, yeah - practice makes perfect.

DO NOT CONNECT YOUR HELIX TO A HUB!

Yep, no HUBS is the way it's always been - PCI USB Card for me.

Thanks rd2rk

52 minutes ago, Hey_Joe said:

Does the Updater do something else as well as updating FW? Just curious about why to run the Updater if in fact it only updates FW.

The Updater updates the FW. If you're not going to update the FW, don't update HX Edit. The versions need to match for it all to work properly.

Check the version on your Helix. If you DO NOT want to update the FW at this time, DL and install the CORRESPONDING version of HX Edit (2.81 on HW = HX EDIT 2.81).

If you DO want to update the FW now (recommended), DL and install HX Edit 2.82.

HX Edit installs everything you need. DO NOT UNCHECK ANYTHING! You need it ALL.

Thanks again.

I'll just follow all the 2.82 directions and prompts and once I have the software installed on my machine, I'll see what the Updater wants to me to do even though the unit is supposed to ship with current FW from Sweetwater.

6 minutes ago, Hey_Joe said:

Thanks again.

I'll just follow all the 2.82 directions and prompts and once I have the software installed on my machine, I'll see what the Updater wants to me to do even though the unit is supposed to ship with current FW from Sweetwater.

Since the new version just came out today, it's not likely that it's going to already be on your Helix if it's already shipped.