Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp - Bypass?

Cubbyguy

I think I know the answer but I just don't like it.   I've created several presets and like the flexibilty of this device.  However, I hate that there always has to be 1 footswitch always active.  I understand you can bypass the device by pushing the upper and lower knobs together, but that bypassed signal sounds significantly LOUDER than 1 of the footswitches toggled on with no effects... unless I crank the volume knob.

I was hoping I could be in stomp mode with my 3 presets (1a, 1b, 1c) and use this like every other pedal on the market, including Line 6, where stomping 1a will turn that preset on and off.  So for now, I'm making all of my "c" banks clean with no effects.  It's a pain and a waste of available preset banks this way since I'm using 2 out of every 3. 

Are there any suggestions?

Cubbyguy

I'm not sure what you're getting at. In Preset mode you have access to 3 presets, so one button (the active preset) WILL always be lit.

In Stomp Mode you can have up to 3 buttons assigned to bypass effects, and if you save the preset with all of them OFF, they'll all be OFF.

You can't mix the modes on the Stomp the way you can on the Floor, LT and Rack.

2 hours ago, Cubbyguy said:

I think I know the answer but I just don't like it.   I've created several presets and like the flexibilty of this device.  However, I hate that there always has to be 1 footswitch always active.  I understand you can bypass the device by pushing the upper and lower knobs together, but that bypassed signal sounds significantly LOUDER than 1 of the footswitches toggled on with no effects... unless I crank the volume knob.

I was hoping I could be in stomp mode with my 3 presets (1a, 1b, 1c) and use this like every other pedal on the market, including Line 6, where stomping 1a will turn that preset on and off.  So for now, I'm making all of my "c" banks clean with no effects.  It's a pain and a waste of available preset banks this way since I'm using 2 out of every 3. 

Cubbyguy

I'd also like to weigh in that I"m confused as hell as to what your concern is. 

Doesn't mean it isn't legit, just maybe we need it explained again? 

16 hours ago, Cubbyguy said:

Cubbyguy

Regarding the bypass volume, it's been said already, but you want to have the volume knob all the way up as a starting point. You also want to have the input and outputs set to instrument level. This will give you unity gain. I guess I'm assuming you're running the Stomp into an amp, as that's really the only setup where this comes into play. If you have the Stomp set to DSP Bypass, the volume between having blocks active and everything bypassed should be about the same, but it depends entirely on what you're doing with the blocks. It's, of course, possible to add a lot of gain with certain block.

As far as bypassing everything, you can do what you're saying - create an empty preset. The other option would be getting an external footswitch and assigning it to the Bypass All function. The Stomp doesn't work like the Strymon 3-button boxes. With the Stomp you're essentially always in a preset. The only exception would be if you activate the Bypass All function (even then you're technically still in a preset, it's just you're bypassing it). The Stomp is a different beast than the Strymon pedals in that it's a true multi-FX pedal where you can create complex presets with multiple blocks. The Strymon pedals are always just using one effect.

Another option is to look at using snapshots. You could create a snapshot where all the blocks are bypassed and access that somehow. There are really a bunch of ways to go about it.

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
On 9/27/2019 at 5:35 PM, phil_m said:

The other option would be getting an external footswitch and assigning it to the Bypass All function.

How can I assign the "true bypass" function to an external footswitch?
Can I do that without an external footswitch  (using uone of the three existing)?

9 hours ago, DrCosimo said:

How can I assign the "true bypass" function to an external footswitch?
Can I do that without an external footswitch  (using uone of the three existing)?

Set Global Settings > Footswitches > FS3 Function to "AllBypas." Now FS3 will bypass everything from both Stomp and Scroll footswitch modes.