Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help with IR and current set up

Apparition777

I’ve been looking for a great sound. I just purchased the Helix LT last week.  I’m just learning about how to use it.  I’ve gotten as far as actually downloading a nice Ownhammer path with two really nice sounds and I used some Youtube settings go grab a certain sound. 

My question is I added an IR to an already suggested setup.  I then set the current cab on bypass. First question:   Can I run an Ir and a Cab(Uber) at same time without issues?

Secondly:  Can you make one of your foot switches be able to control the IR being on and off much like the how the cab works to flip

between the cab(speakers) and the IR?   

Theres a chance I’m misunderstanding the process, so I’m open to hearing help. Please. Pictured is the current set up. However I did move the IR up to the top line since the pic not that it will make a difference.  You’ll see the Uber cab and I’m using this 

Metal Chunk

Input -48 decay 10 ms

distortion Scream 808 gain 0 tone 7 level 10

noise gate -41 decay 10 ms

Amp Line 6 Badonk Drive 6.3 Bass 2.9 Mid 4.9 Treble 5.6 Presence 8 Channel volume 7.5 Master 5 —Depth .3 Sag 2 Bias 5 Bias x 5.5

IR Ownhammer OH412MRBWGNRSP2-04 Low cur 80 htz High cut 11 KHTz 

Reverb Legacy Room Decay 4.5 

Delay 11 ms Low Cut 117 High cut 3.7k mix 20%

4 x 12 Uber V30 Cab

Ps. I’ve searched for a room delay(not hall). None listed 

A6914354-CBF9-4016-8080-7C483A16A364.jpeg

The answer to both your questions is yes. However while you can run the cab and IR simultaneously without issues (your actual question) you probably won't like the sound. Generally it isn't done.

You can assign the same FS to control the Bypass (on/off state) for both the IR and the cab blocks. Then save the preset with one block on and the other off. The FS will then act as a toggle so that you can one or the other, not both, active at any time.

You speak of the room and hall delay FX. Those are typically types of Reverb, not Delay, FX. You should find them both under the Legacy Reverb section.

You have to be careful when combining IRs and stock Cabs as you can sometimes run into phasing issues between them.  This is true even with IRs from different vendors.  Quite frankly I'm not sure there's any real advantage to combining different cabs as you're more likely to muddy up your sound than to get anything useful out of it.

As others have already suggested, daisy chaining an IR into a stock cab sim (or vice versa) is pretty much useless. The result is likely to sound like everything is under water. You could try running them in parallel, and panning them hard L and R... but even that is likely to be more trouble than it's worth. Stick with one or the other, whichever one you like best and find easiest to work with.

7 hours ago, Apparition777 said:

Is that lay out fairly decent for a starting user with Helix?

Actually I think it's pretty uncommon.  Generally most people stick with one or the other when combining them.  I did it a couple of times over the last 4 years, but honestly I saw no advantage once I began to get into more sophisticated multiple mic mixes and placements as that is really what makes all the practical differences in tone.

Combining cabinets is almost a necessity when using stock cabs and that's why you have dual cabinet blocks as an option, but IRs tend to have such a wide variety of mic mixes and placements, it's typically not necessary in my case.

7 hours ago, Apparition777 said:

Is that lay out fairly decent for a starting user with Helix?

I presume you're referring to the layout shown in the screenshot in your initial post.

There's no right or wrong in FX positioning - whatever sounds good to you IS good. However there are some common guidelines and your layout seems to follow the more important ones so, yes, I'd say your layout is 'decent'. A couple of observations:

- as described in the responses to your post the IR and Cab blocks are generally mutually exclusive options; you use one or the other. I notice in your layout that they are positioned in different locations in the signal chain. You have placed FX between the amp and IR but not between the amp and cab. There's nothing wrong with that but the difference in the resulting sound now has two components - not only the difference between cab and IR but also the differences due to the relative FX locations.

- you have two reverb blocks. Again, only one is generally used at any time. I assume the reverbs are associated with their adjacent cab and IR blocks and are turned on/off along with the cab/IR selection.