Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Used JTV-59 Landmines?

Hello, and thanks for reading.

I'm considering getting a used JTV-59. Are there any hidden concerns that I should know about? Have the electronics been upgraded in later releases? Can I get driver / firmware / software upgrades if I'm not the original owner? Anything else I should know?

My thought is to eventually pair it with the HD500X. I get orchestral (pit band) gigs sometimes, and it would be helpful to have many virtual instrument voices available since pit space is limited.

I used to sell guitars for a living, and I REALLY don't like buying online, especially used, but I don't have $1,199 to spare either.

Thank you in advance!

The answers, in order, are:

- some early models had issues with the 3-way switch. Mine was fine. Line 6 will take care of it in any case.

- no upgrades to electronics

- all updates are available to anyone. It's wise to register the guitar in your Line 6 account. Line 6 will help if you have difficulties (e.g. already registered in previous owner's account)

- the factory version comes with jumbo-size frets. Easy to replace if you want, either yourself if you're experienced in doing so or by a good guitar tech.

Well as you already know, used anything is hit or miss... used Variaxes are often missing the ridiculous USB dongle needed to connect to a computer to do firmware updates, but if you have the 500X, that's not a issue as you can connect through the POD instead. I don't think any hardware has changed significantly over the years... just firmware.

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

used Variaxes are often missing the ridiculous USB dongle needed to connect to a computer

Where do all of those missing units end up? I would love to get my hands on one....  :) 

Yes, that's rhetorical... no need to answer unless you actually know where they all go - LOL!

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

Where do all of those missing units end up? I would love to get my hands on one....  :) 

Yes, that's rhetorical... no need to answer unless you actually know where they all go - LOL!

I suspect most of them are sitting in closets and junk drawers of those who couldn't be bothered trying to find them when they finally unloaded the Variax that had been sitting around collecting dust. Frankly, as my USB dongle never worked reliably, I don't know where it is at this point. I always relied on the POD/Helix to connect to Workbench. Plus, there hasn't been an update in years anyway....thing is laying around here somewhere though,  lol

I'm quite certain that psarkissian has mentioned that there's been at least one revision to the 59's circuitry, but that it was minor and doesn't really qualify it to be a 'new, improved' product. He'll probably jump in and confirm or correct me, as necessary...

I like most of the things about my '59 except selecting models with that screwy 3-way toggle switch and pushbutton knob arrangement. I 'grew up' with a Variax 500 that had the 5-way switch -- like a Strat -- and just can't remember where the models are with the newer switching system. I almost wish I'd bought a JTV-69 instead.

Other things to look out for might be the poor illumination of the model select switch and battery life. It can be hard to see what model you have selected, especially in daylight or onstage.  If you buy an older JTV, expect battery problems and a $50 expense for a new one. I know you are planning to power it from HD500X, but there are times when you just want to plug it in and go. If you don't have battery power, you're stuck using the mag pickups. (which I like, by the way...)

Good luck -- hope you find one that you like...