Jump to content
BrokenGravity

I need a recommendation for bookshelf / monitor speakers for the Helix

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

 

I'm looking to get some bookshelf / monitor speakers to use with my helix.  Budget wise I'm looking to spend between $300-$500.  What do you recommend?  Also, what kind of audio interface do you use between your PC and the speakers?  

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 2 setups in my apartment.

 

Office/Dining Room - Sony 3way bookshelf system - 6/6/10 - 700 watts (whatever that means). Cost around $200 several years ago. Sounds good at low volumes - still loud enough to PO the neighbors.

 

Studio/Living Room - Rokit6 Monitors - cost around $300 each several years ago. Sounds good, gets pretty loud. Sounds totally different from the Sony.

 

If your main concern is how Helix sounds, and especially if you plan to record with a DAW, get the best studio monitors you can afford.

If your main concern is an all purpose household audio system that can also handle Helix, get the best 3way bookshelf system you can afford.

 

If playing out is a consideration, you might want to look at the Headrush FRFR108 (2000 watts). Two of them will set you back a bit over $400, they're pretty compact and can be used as an all purpose system if recording is not a primary consideration - they're not really studio monitors.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI - I have Alto TS310's for guitar sound out of helix - speakers above are used for backing tracks etc.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 3:38 PM, BrokenGravity said:

Hey guys,

 

I'm looking to get some bookshelf / monitor speakers to use with my helix.  Budget wise I'm looking to spend between $300-$500.  What do you recommend?  Also, what kind of audio interface do you use between your PC and the speakers?  

 

Thanks

 

JBL LSR305's or 308's depending on how much room you've got. Helix is a fully functional audio interface... no real need for anything else.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for your response guys!

 

I was also looking into these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS8-Studio-Monitor-Black/dp/B00CFOX420/      the 6.5"

 

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-BX5-D3-Production-Recording/dp/B01J66YEU0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=m-audio%2Bbx5&qid=1569720282&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

 

possibly the 8".  Not sure, seems over kill.

 

Thoughts?

 

Thanks

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BrokenGravity said:

Thank you for your response guys!

 

I was also looking into these two:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-HS8-Studio-Monitor-Black/dp/B00CFOX420/      the 6.5"

 

https://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-BX5-D3-Production-Recording/dp/B01J66YEU0/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=m-audio%2Bbx5&qid=1569720282&s=gateway&sr=8-1&th=1

 

possibly the 8".  Not sure, seems over kill.

 

Thoughts?

 

Thanks

 

 

 

It's only overkill if the size is inappropriate for the space it'll occupy... only you know the answer to that. Otherwise, stick with a brand you've heard of... Yamaha, Sony, JBL, etc... who knows if "M-Audio" will still exist next week.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant say how they will work with the HELIX as I dont have 1 yet(SOON!), but I have a set of the Kali LP-6 & can say that they are excellent speakers for the money.  I'm coming off of M-Audio BX5A & Mackie MR-5 monitors & the Kali's sound incredible.  Please keep in mind that near feild monitors are designed to be heard at a short distance. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2019 at 12:38 PM, BrokenGravity said:

Hey guys,

 

I'm looking to get some bookshelf / monitor speakers to use with my helix.  Budget wise I'm looking to spend between $300-$500.  What do you recommend?  Also, what kind of audio interface do you use between your PC and the speakers?  

 

Thanks

The JBL LSR305 and LSR308 are outstanding and very reasonably priced! I have a set of each. For near field use, the LSR305 are great. If you've got the space, get the LSR308. Also bear in mind that as these are rear ported, placement close to a rear wall is not ideal. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hahaha. I've got a pair of of Yamaha DXR10 and they certainly kick! Simply amazing as floor wedge monitors with my Helix or as backline. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard good things about the Kali's.  

 

I've been using a set of Presonus Eris 3.5 monitors for the past couple weeks, and they are pretty good and don't take up too much space.   I actually am just running straight out of the helix into the inputs of the monitors.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2019 at 12:10 PM, cruisinon2 said:

 

It's only overkill if the size is inappropriate for the space it'll occupy... only you know the answer to that. Otherwise, stick with a brand you've heard of... Yamaha, Sony, JBL, etc... who knows if "M-Audio" will still exist next week.

 

True, But M-Audio has been around for a while now, and is generally well reviewed. I'd trust them. In reality, many speakers are in need of surrounds after a decade anyway - including big, old brands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A good used pair of Mackie HR-824's- cant go wrong with these.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pair of Equator Audio D5s, and they're fantastic.

 

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/equator-audio-d5

 

https://www.mixonline.com/technology/equator-audio-research-d5-monitor-review-369629

 

UPDATE:

Yikes! I went to Equator's website to see what sort of new stuff they had, and it's gone! Google has told me that they aren't around anymore. Too bad, great-sounding monitors that were way under-priced. 

 

You can still find used ones on Reverb:

 

https://reverb.com/marketplace/pro-audio/powered-speakers?make=equator

 

...or Ebay:

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Equator-D5-Studio-Monitors-Coaxial-Drivers/123916256552?hash=item1cd9fc0528:g:QF0AAOSwaENdiRNm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DaveStarns said:

I have a pair of Equator Audio D5s, and they're fantastic.

 

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/equator-audio-d5

 

https://www.mixonline.com/technology/equator-audio-research-d5-monitor-review-369629

 

UPDATE:

Yikes! I went to Equator's website to see what sort of new stuff they had, and it's gone! Google has told me that they aren't around anymore. Too bad, great-sounding monitors that were way under-priced. 

 

You can still find used ones on Reverb:

 

https://reverb.com/marketplace/pro-audio/powered-speakers?make=equator

 

...or Ebay:

 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Equator-D5-Studio-Monitors-Coaxial-Drivers/123916256552?hash=item1cd9fc0528:g:QF0AAOSwaENdiRNm

 

 

That's exactly what I meant when I suggested above that everybody stick with the household names....smaller companies vanish all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you cannot go wrong with Yamaha HS 8's fpr the price.    Its more than you mentioned....but....

6.5" are decent, not sure if the low end drops out on them. 

the HS5s require a sub. 

 

JBLs seem to get a lot of love.  I haven't heard them personally.   But I've never seen them on a pro mix desk.   While I have watched the machine mix lamb of god on HS8's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

That's exactly what I meant when I suggested above that everybody stick with the household names....smaller companies vanish all the time.

Except M-Audio isn't really that small. They make a bunch of stuff and sell a ton. Also, that a company goes under doesn't mean the stuff stops working. My Parkers are my favorite guitars. ;-)

 

Also, I had to ditch some great old JBL speakers because the drivers were no longer available. How is that any better? No slight to JBL, mind you - my current monitors are 308s. It's just business. But I wouldn't run from a great speaker just because the company is small. If I were buying new monitors, I'd be looking hard at some Kalis, for example.

Of course, it's nice to have a familiar speaker you find everywhere, even if they don't sound the same in every room. NS-10s, for example, sounded equally crappy in almost every studio you went to back in the day! ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Yamaha HS's are nice. You could probably get away with the 6.5's. Depends on how loud and how low you want them to go.

 

There are litterly tons of decent monitors out there. Shouldn't be hard to find something to suite you needs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 7:29 AM, caledoneus said:

I've heard good things about the Kali's.  

 

I've been using a set of Presonus Eris 3.5 monitors for the past couple weeks, and they are pretty good and don't take up too much space.   I actually am just running straight out of the helix into the inputs of the monitors.

 

Hi, I'm new with the Helix, actually it will arrive tomorrow! I have the Presonus Eris 3.5. I want to do the exact thing you mentioned. But, can I use 2 TRS cables from the 1/4's outputs of the Helix directly to the TRS L/R inputs on the Presonus? I want to run in stereo. Or I have to use a TS cables? Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dante_Raikoh said:

Hi, I'm new with the Helix, actually it will arrive tomorrow! I have the Presonus Eris 3.5. I want to do the exact thing you mentioned. But, can I use 2 TRS cables from the 1/4's outputs of the Helix directly to the TRS L/R inputs on the Presonus? I want to run in stereo. Or I have to use a TS cables? Thanks! 

 

What I actually did was buy a "dual" instrument (TS) cable (something like this) and go straight from the left and right outputs of the helix into the left and right inputs of the Speaker(s).  Works great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, caledoneus said:

 

What I actually did was buy a "dual" instrument (TS) cable (something like this) and go straight from the left and right outputs of the helix into the left and right inputs of the Speaker(s).  Works great.

great, I already order it, thanks for the link!

quick questions: What happen if I use 2 regular TRS or TS instead the cable you mentioned?

Can I record on stereo using the USB output (I use audacity by the way)?

I have the Scarlet 2i2, I used to used the torpedo live , but now is gone because of the Helix, what works better, record via usb or woth the dual TSc able, or with XLR?

Thanks!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 1:19 PM, Dante_Raikoh said:

great, I already order it, thanks for the link!

quick questions: What happen if I use 2 regular TRS or TS instead the cable you mentioned?

Can I record on stereo using the USB output (I use audacity by the way)?

I have the Scarlet 2i2, I used to used the torpedo live , but now is gone because of the Helix, what works better, record via usb or woth the dual TSc able, or with XLR?

Thanks!   

 

a pair of regular instrument cables would work as well.  I mainly got the "dual" cable that I recommended to you b/c it's less of a mess and easier to keep them together.  

 

As far as recording goes, you may get better results just using the Helix itself as your interface (through the USB).  Works really well honestly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For a small bit of closure.  I went with M-audio bx-8 Graphite.  Bought them during Black Friday, they were $175 per .  They are still on sale for $189 per.  Tested out a few types of monitors during the sale.  For me, I really enjoyed the bx-8's.  I also use a 7 string guitar so the 8" really brings the low end in really well.  The Yamaha HS's are also insane... But best price I saw for them were $250 per.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...