Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problem with HX Stomp and BOSS FS-7 footswitch

mr_slugworth

I'm trying to get a BOSS FS-7 footswitch to work with my HX Stomp, Firmware 2.82. I'm using a TRS cable, FS-7 running passive set to momentary mode.

When I hit either switch on the FS-7, the preset changes correctly at first and stays there for about a second, then it starts scrolling quickly through the presets. I am just expecting it to scroll one preset per footswitch press. Any ideas on there about what I could be doing wrong? Are BOSS footswitches not compatible? AFAIK the FS-7 is the same internally as the FS-6, but in a vertical (rather than horizontal) form factor.

In HX Edit I set the following in Preferences > Device Settings:

EXP/FS Tip: FS4

EXP/FS Ring: FS5

FS4 Function: Preset Up

FS5 Function: Preset Down

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with a new FS-6 switch. I can't remember how I solved I just know the settings I used on the FS-6 at the end were completely 'wrong' when it worked. I think, I set it to latch instead of momentary.

It's worth to ingnore the labels on the Boss and just try what works. The possibilities are not endless.

The polarity values must match to get it working correctly.

FS-6 settings:

Polarity:RIGHT, Mode:LEFT (momentary). This goes for both A&B switches.

HX Stomp  settings:

Global settings/Preferences/  EXP/FS Tip:FS4, EXP/FS5 Ring:FS5, Tip Polarity:Normal

Global settings/Footswitches/  FS4 function:PresetUp, FS5 function:PresetDn

Configured in this way, the FS-6 never becomes unresponsive. 

It still does scroll when hold, but in a controlled way.

Any other settings may cause unexpected behaviors.

I know the post is a couple months old, but that's sounds like a wrong setting on the FS-7. There isn't much to those, they are just basic operation - providing you have the options set properly. 

Both switches must be set for momentary. If set to latch... it would be the same as pushing and holding it down. 

If they still scroll - reverse the polarity. Do this on both switches and make sure both switches are set to the same polarity!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my FS7 foot switch. But I think I've just fixed the issue.

Apart from setting the EXP/FS to FS4 and FS5, I changed the 'TIP POLARITY' to 'Inverted' and the 'RING POLARITY' to 'Inverted'. They were both previously set to 'Normal'.

Just to clarify, this is in 'Global Setting' under 'Preferences'.

As far as the foot switch, it seems to work if the polarity is set to l or ll. And of course it's set to Momentary. 

Now my FS7 is working fine.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2019 at 5:39 AM, dodec1212 said:

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my FS7 foot switch. But I think I've just fixed the issue.

Apart from setting the EXP/FS to FS4 and FS5, I changed the 'TIP POLARITY' to 'Inverted' and the 'RING POLARITY' to 'Inverted'. They were both previously set to 'Normal'.

As far as the foot switch, it seems to work if the polarity is set to l or ll. And of course it's set to Momentary. 

Hope that helps!

Huge thanks! Now it's working!

Note that the FS-7 needs to be connected using jack B, and its polarity switch setting doesn't matter.

• 6 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 1:39 PM, dodec1212 said:

Hi,

Hope that helps!

This is the solution, thank you. Bought an FS-7 today and it just kept scrolling even though it was set to momentary. Inverting the tip and ring polarity in the settings is the trick.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 8:39 PM, dodec1212 said:

Hi,

Hope that helps!

I can confirm that this last piece, changing the TIP POLARITY, works for my FS7 - it is now behaving as it should be when connected to the HX STOMP.  Many thanks dodec1212!! 

• 10 months later...

Despite the tips and everyones success here with the Boss FS-7, I'm not able to get it to work. I'm using the HX Stomp XL though. Not sure if that makes a difference.

My problem is that I can only get one of the switches on the FS-7 to work. I don't think it's a problem with the FS-7 because sometimes it's the A switch that works and sometimes its the B switch that works after fiddling with the settings.

Mode is set to momentary on the FS-7.  The polarity doesn't seem to make a difference but at the moment it's on II. I'm connected to the Stomp through output B.

FS Tip is set to FS7. FS Ring is set to FS8. Both polarities are set to inverted. FS7 is set to preset up and FS8 is set to preset down. The firmware is 3.15.

Any ideas?

UPDATE: Problem solved. I was using a TS and not a TRS cable.

I really kind of wanted to use this to cycle between snapshots but a press of the switch always moves up or down by two snapshot numbers. It looks like the down movement is one and the up movement is the other. I wonder why preset movement doesn't have this issue. It works if I switch the FS-7 to latch mode but then the lights go on and off which doesn't make sense. I may just get one of those little mini two button switches.

• 3 months later...

I was having the same issue.. and both methods work, the difference is whether or not the pedal is being powered. 

* With no external power (which is only for the LEDs of the FS7 anyway) both polarities on the HX stomp settings need to be ‘inverted’ (otherwise it scrolls uncontrollably).

* With power, both polarities need to be set to ‘normal’. 

This is what I found anyway. Hope this helps! 

• 9 months later...
On 12/12/2019 at 4:39 AM, dodec1212 said:

Aha! I missed that because it's on the next page of preferences. Thank you!!

Now, can I set a limited range of Presets to scroll through like on most other digital devices, such as my H9?

I'm doing a theater gig and using the HX Stomp to process the acoustic guitars.

It would be nice to limit the range of presets available from the up/down switches to just the 6 I'm using for the show.