Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hd500x 4-cable Method Wireless?

epiphany1415

Before anyone judges my post by the subject alone, I would like to note that I am not attempting to use VDI, simply 1/4" setup.  I am toying with the idea of using the 4-cable method and buying 4 separate wireless systems to make it cable-free.  I am wondering (from experienced wireless users and/or audio engineering experience people) if this is a bad idea.  I would love nothing more than than to have to never mess with cables again, but I am wondering how much signal loss and/or hum I will get from this.  I would like to hear some advice, warnings and educated coaching on this matter.  Is it plausible?

I have no doubt it would work - but with a couple

of things for you to consider as to whether it will work well enough for gigging:

Let's take for example the line 6 wireless systems. The user guide for the G30 specifically mentions connection the output to pedals or an amp input. So if your amp had an fx loop that can send and receive at instrument level (-10db) then that should work ok. Also your pod should be set to amp output level etc.

No guarantees but it may work ok.

You could also think about hiring 4 wireless systems to try it out before blowing a lot of cash on something that in theory may work - in practice sometimes surprises us.

Hope this helps

Andy

• 1 month later...

Hello.

Well I have only played on stage with at the most three musicians, guitars and bass, using Line 6 G30's. Now normally each person would set up on one of three channels. 1, 3, 6. But I once shared the stage with a band who were using channels 1, 2, 3, so technically you should probably at least be able to use G30's set to 1, 2, 3, 4. I never get any noise,and I set the cable length "simulation" for 15' or 3meters.

So technically using these examples, albeit $$$, £££, it should be possible, and actually a fantastic idea.

I have six cables in my snake, three  1/4" MONO cables for the three cables to my amp using the four cable method, two 1/4" MONO running to the parallel effects loop on my Carvin V3 ( two effects loops, serial for POD, parallel for my Zoom MS50 effects pedal) and one 1/4" STEREO cable for my amps effects loops foot switch.

I ran them all together, and banded them about every 1 foot or so with velcro straps.

So other than the need for the STEREO (TRS) amp effects loop switch, if I had the cash, this idea is definitely a nice one.

Best of luck to you. I look forward to seeing if you make any progress.

Seth