Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.82 Update

hideout

This should be the first thing mentioned when reading about this update.  I was updating from 2.70 to 2.82.

• halfway through the update process, Line 6 Updater displays a second dialog and Helix's LCD reads "Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode!" THIS IS NORMAL. DO NOT FREAK OUT, TAKE A PHOTO, AND THEN POST IT ONLINE BECAUSE EVERYONE WILL MAKE FUN OF YOU FOR NOT READING THESE INSTRUCTIONS.
    • MoveAlong.jpg.178f5fc3b9e6bdeec47d4a5935e47444.jpg
  • Click "OK" again. When finished, Helix restarts automatically and begins rebuilding your presets. Let it finish.

My update experience went through with out a hitch!

I don't really understand the need for this instruction before you download the update though -

Turn off or disconnect any connected Helix or HX hardware.

I actually forgot to do it but that didn't seem to be a problem.

2 hours ago, hideout said:

Oops...

Anybody else having this issue?

It would seem that 2 of my presets are affected by this.

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 7.55.13 PM.png

That helped me:

sn.thumb.jpg.57537157ff8d571e3a6edb7ea9bda541.jpg

https://line6.com/support/topic/49417-the-helix-device-failed-to-recall-snapshot-data-properly/?tab=comments#comment-312509

3 hours ago, hideout said:

My update experience went through with out a hitch!

I don't really understand the need for this instruction before you download the update though -

Turn off or disconnect any connected Helix or HX hardware.

I actually forgot to do it but that didn't seem to be a problem.

I think this should be done to avoid driver installation issues. Sometimes this can cause problems during the update.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hideout said:

This should be the first thing mentioned when reading about this update.

THIS IS NORMAL. DO NOT FREAK OUT... etc. 

This section of the update notes are are aimed at anyone updating from v2.71 or earlier. If you are already using v2.80 or 2.81, then your update should “go without a hitch”, as you noted that yours did. Although, you didn’t mention which version of the firmware you were upgrading from. If it was earlier than 2.80 then it is important and even though it is there in the notes, in big black block capitals, many, many people did “freak out” with cries of “firmware bricked my Helix” and all the usual “user error” nonsense through simply disregarding or not bothering to read the notes correctly.

The comment about “Turn off or disconnect any connected Helix or HX hardware”, is probably to avoid driver installation issues, as noted by Peter in his post, above. It’s also probably a Line 6 “get out of jail free” card, because there is bound to be somebody, somewhere who will scream - “firmware bricked my Helix!” - There’s always has been and always will be one!

36 minutes ago, willjrock said:

Ive definitely had it happen but have never gotten any kind of error mssg.....unless that new to 2.82

It's new since 2.81.  3 of my presets was affected after the update, but it was easy to fix (...thanks "johnfrancis")

• Like 1

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

This section of the update notes are are aimed at anyone updating from v2.71 or earlier. If you are already using v2.80 or 2.81, then your update should “go without a hitch”, as you noted that yours did. Although, you didn’t mention which version of the firmware you were upgrading from. If it was earlier than 2.80 then it is important and even though it is there in the notes, in big black block capitals, many, many people did “freak out” with cries of “firmware bricked my Helix” and all the usual “user error” nonsense through simply disregarding or not bothering to read the notes correctly.

The comment about “Turn off or disconnect any connected Helix or HX hardware”, is probably to avoid driver installation issues, as noted by Peter in his post, above. It’s also probably a Line 6 “get out of jail free” card, because there is bound to be somebody, somewhere who will scream - “firmware bricked my Helix!” - There’s always has been and always will be one!

I was going from 2.70 to 2.82. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Peter said:

I instinctively tried this but had no success.  What did work was to delete a few effects blocks and then hit the "Undo" button until they're all back and then hit "Save".

I had not tried it but maybe just deleting one block and then undoing it would have worked just as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I had no problems updating, But, I tried it at rehearsal last night and it was a nightmare. I'm using a JTV-69 Variax. The thing was jumping in and out all the time, so I went back to a normal jack cable to get through the evening.

When i updated to 2.81 there were similar problems, but not with 2.80, so I have re-installed 2.80 and hope for the best.

There must be something missing in the final testing of these updates.

For professional use, these problems must not appear.

It would be better for some delay, for a serious testing, and no nasty surprises.

Moral; NEVER update the night before a gig (I don't anyhow).

4 hours ago, ChristianBoddum said:

I'm using a JTV-69 Variax. The thing was jumping in and out all the time, so I went back to a normal jack cable to get through the evening.

I use a Variax and haven't had any problems like this with the 2.82 update. My Variax worked as it should, and all changes occurred as they were programmed... never unexpectedly.

Are you sure it isn't a VDI Cable issue... especially at the connections?

So - I did some testing. And my cable was causing the issue, so much that it completely cut out today, not good.

The cable is a new 25 ft. Line6 cable. I tested using the cable that came with the workbench interface, all fine. using it via the jack, no problem.

This is annoying. If that means having to buy a new cable every 2-3 months.

I have treated this cable with care, since it is not that robust to my estimation.

I'm not sure I can fix the cable myself. Soldering jack cables is no problem, but this, I don't want to mess with.

I WANT to use the full capacity for gigs, but it must be more reliable than this.

Do you know a higher quality brand of cables  that has proven itself reliable?

If so please reply ;-)

On 9/30/2019 at 12:29 PM, datacommando said:

I tried the 2.80 and 2.81 upgrades!. Spent 4 days with errors and frustrations before I gave up and «downgraded» to 2.71. Luckily I had a backup ! :)
I tried the upgrade procedure at least 4-5 times, and did every step exactly as described - no luck at all !!
After downgrading - NO errors, and everything is working as before. BIG «Puh» !

I know there's a 2.82 version out now, but I don't have time to spend another hours of testing if bugs from the 2.80 and 2.81 upgrades still remains, so …

Anybody know if the 2.82 update are free of all the bugs presented in 2.80 and 2.81 ?

Heureka!!

I bought a crimping tool and a handful of plugs to see if I could fix the cable myself.

And yes, in the first fiddly attempt I had it working XD

So now I can at least fix it if it happens again, and that's way cheaper than getting a tech to do it for me.

I will however get a backup cable, and see if I can do a complete one, it might not be worth it moneywise though...

On 10/17/2019 at 2:45 PM, michalaase said:

Spent 4 days with errors and frustrations before I gave up and «downgraded» to 2.71

What were your issues?

I'm about to update my Helix LT from 2.7 to 2.82, and would like to know about every potential issue.

1 hour ago, s_popov said:

What were your issues?

I'm about to update my Helix LT from 2.7 to 2.82, and would like to know about every potential issue.

The only issue I had was some errors when selecting Snapshots but that’s about it. Just be sure you follow the instructions to the letter. Go Slowly and Pay Attention!

3 hours ago, s_popov said:

What were your issues?

This forum is littered with any/all potential issues.... the majority (but not all) were when people failed to follow the instructions. 

If you follow these instructions starting at "Updating to 2.82 from 2.71 or Earlier (READ ME!)" (that is about half way down the page) you will be fine. 

https://line6.com/support/page/kb/effects-controllers/helix/helixhx-282-release-notes-r928/

Here are two things that are often over-looked...

1. When you update HX Edit to the latest version it will include all the drivers, and current updater that is required. When installing HX Edit there is an option to select / de-select some items... LEAVE THEM ALL SELECTED
  2. Do NOT open HX Edit when you attempt to update your Helix. 

I asked because it sounded like Michalaase's issues were quite serious / gamebreaking.

But i appreciate the help, Codamedia, and will follow your advice. :)

[UPDATE]: Did the update, all is good. Not played yet, but everything seems in order.

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Having a problem updating my brand new HX Stomp from 2.81 to 2.82.  I've been using HX Edit 2.82 since opening the box.  HX Edit is not open while I use the Updater.  I'm on MacOS 10.15.1 (Catalina).

Update to 2.81 went fine yesterday, as expected.  I assumed I'd need to install both firmware updates since both were listed on the updater.

Update to 2.82 repeatedly fails with an error about the unit failing to reset after entering DFU mode.  I've already done the pedals 2 & 3 preset update thing and have tried all of the following:

• Powered off and on as suggested by Updater.  No change.
  • Disconnected and reconnected USB cable as prompted by Updater.  Just prompts quicker fail.
  • Entered DFU mode (Stomp appears in devices list with 'unknown firmware' but nothing appears on screen):  Update immediately fails
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled HX Edit (and Line6 Updater), rebooting between.  Exactly the same problems.

The latest attempt has resulted in a perpetually spinning progress indicator.  Apparently it's been "Installing Firmware Update..." for ten minutes now and I should still not turn off or unplug etc.

Has anybody else had this issue?  Does anybody have any suggestion about how I might resolve it please?

The HX Stomp was a speculative purchase to replace my broken M9 for overseas touring.  I'd considered a micro board of analog pedals and thought I'd give this a go instead.  Kinda wishing I hadn't now.  Might have to go back to the shop if I can't sort it this week.  Gig in Berlin next Friday..

EDIT:  Resolved by downloading the update manually and applying it as a local file.  Guessing the issue was either a connectivity problem between web and app or a content restriction issue (the update page flagged as an adult website on my Mac, inexplicably).  

MODS:  Please feel free to delete this post or leave it here for others to benefit from - your call!

Edited by johnthebassist
Resolved (please read)