Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Setting Tuner for 1/2 step down

jmosby61

Are there any plans to enable the tuner in Helix to be set for tuning 1/2 step down or more?  I play in Eb and I use open tunings for my slide guitars and it can get a little confusing reading all of the sharps and flats while trying to tune quickly on stage.  I'm new to the Helix and am very pleased with it overall.

Thank you,
Jeff Mosby

2 hours ago, phil_m said:

There’s no need for that. It’s a chromatic tuner. Just tune to the actual note. If you want to tune to Eb, just lower the string pitch until the tuner starts sensing that pitch center.

I think he knows that...seems he doesn't want to stare at "Eb" or "D#" on the display

2 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

I think he knows that...seems he doesn't want to stare at "Eb" or "D#" on the display

Not being in front of it at the moment, I don't recall if the Helix shows in sharps or flats.  It's not so bad if it's flats because at least the note name still relates to the original string name.  But D# G# C# F# A# D# is a pain when you're in a hurry.

4 minutes ago, litesnsirens said:

Not being in front of it at the moment, I don't recall if the Helix shows in sharps or flats.  It's not so bad if it's flats because at least the note name still relates to the original string name.  But D# G# C# F# A# D# is a pain when you're in a hurry.

litensirens gets it.  I was called "Lazy" by someone on a Facebook Helix group last night for asking this question.  Try tuning to open B tuning in front an audience while the tuner is displaying F A# F A# D F.  If that was that only tuning I use I'd suck it up like I do when tuning to standard but it isn't. I 'm a slide player and use many different open tunings to suit the song.  I'll probably end up using an external tuner to remedy this since I don't think the Helix will do this.  I'm not picking on the Helix, the Axe FX and Kemper don't have this feature either.  

58 minutes ago, jmosby61 said:

litensirens gets it.  I was called "Lazy" by someone on a Facebook Helix group last night for asking this question.  Try tuning to open B tuning in front an audience while the tuner is displaying F A# F A# D F.  If that was that only tuning I use I'd suck it up like I do when tuning to standard but it isn't. I 'm a slide player and use many different open tunings to suit the song.  I'll probably end up using an external tuner to remedy this since I don't think the Helix will do this.  I'm not picking on the Helix, the Axe FX and Kemper don't have this feature either.  

I understand your plight... and I wouldn't call it "lazy", but it is beyond impractical to be re-tuning from one song to the next on stage. It kills the pace and vibe of the show, and is a great way to lose the attention of your audience...thanks to smartphones, the average person has the attention span of a house fly ;). Plus, it looks a bit unprofessional, imho. A Variax would be a great solution for you... you can force any tuning you want with the flick of a switch. No time wasting, no tuner issues.

In addition to my Telecaster which is strung with 10.5 strings I carry 3 guitars all set up in open tunings  and strung with 13's.  The Variax simply isn't an option because nothing can replicate the sound and feel of the heavy strings.  The trouble comes when using a capo.  I just asked a simple question about whether the Helix can be setup for dropped tuning.  I'll assume the answer is no. The people who have said that I'm lazy and now unprofessional don't have a clue about the type of gigs I do, the material or the makeup of the band.   I appreciate litesnsirens input.  He/she is the only one who actually thought about  my question and responded without being insulting.  I, like everyone here made a decision to invest in the Helix and been blown away with it.  I'm less impressed with the forums and Facebook groups that seem to be less focused on being helpful and more focused (in my brief experience) on being snarky.  I think I'll stick to YouTube.

I thought there was a way to do offsets....I'm probably wrong as I'm not a power user of the Helix...but I don't think there ways to save the offsets.  not sure if that's what your thinking of. 

As a side note, I get your style/gigs and all, it'd be a great feature.  I'd add it to ideascale as something to possibly add later on.

7 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

I thought there was a way to do offsets....I'm probably wrong as I'm not a power user of the Helix...but I don't think there ways to save the offsets.  not sure if that's what your thinking of. 

As a side note, I get your style/gigs and all, it'd be a great feature.  I'd add it to ideascale as something to possibly add later on.

Thank you!  I saw the offset feature but it doesn't go down far enough.  I think 425 hz is the lowest it goes.  Eb is about 311 Hz.  I'll try ideascale.  You've been very helpful. Thank you!!!

1 hour ago, jmosby61 said:

In addition to my Telecaster which is strung with 10.5 strings I carry 3 guitars all set up in open tunings  and strung with 13's.  The Variax simply isn't an option because nothing can replicate the sound and feel of the heavy strings.  The trouble comes when using a capo.  I just asked a simple question about whether the Helix can be setup for dropped tuning.  I'll assume the answer is no. The people who have said that I'm lazy and now unprofessional don't have a clue about the type of gigs I do, the material or the makeup of the band.   I appreciate litesnsirens input.  He/she is the only one who actually thought about  my question and responded without being insulting.  I, like everyone here made a decision to invest in the Helix and been blown away with it.  I'm less impressed with the forums and Facebook groups that seem to be less focused on being helpful and more focused (in my brief experience) on being snarky.  I think I'll stick to YouTube.

My apologies, and I'm sorry you took offense... but in my defense, you mentioned nothing about multiple guitars already set up in the required tunings. You gave the impression that you were repeatedly swapping between different tunings on the same instrument, and having difficulty doing do due to the limitations of the tuner...so that was all I had to go on. I couldn't imagine trying to function like that on stage, so I'm sorry if my gut reaction caused offense.

As far as the Variax not being an option, while a set 13's are certainly not the norm, I don't see why you couldn't set one up appropriately to provide the feel you're looking for. Aside from the fancy electronics, the rest of it is just like any other guitar.

cruisinon2, Thank you.  The Helix has been quite a change for me but I am really enjoying it.  I have always taken a 100 Demeter tube head along with 2  212 cabs and a heavy pedal board.  The Helix is going to replace all of that. In fact, I just ordered the Powercab II+ and am really exited to see what it sounds like.   With regards to the Variax,  it would be a great option but I am really partial to the guitars that I have.  Also, I've kind of busted the bank for the present time with the Helix and Powercab.

I appreciate your help.