Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buzzy sound from muted power chords

bruin3182

Ok.... whatever amp/cab combinations I Seem to use in moderate gain settings I get this horrid buzzy sound when palm muting power chords...

ie: start of “summer of ‘69”

I do not get this with my marshall DSL 40c (even at higher gain settings) and the same guitars...?

how can I dial this out??

ps: I’ve used 3 different sets of High end, powered full range speakers and also tried headphones... all give three same result??

help please?!! 

Well there's not a lot to go on here for diagnosing what's going on.  I have well over 200 presets and palm mute to some extent on most of them and they sound perfect...better than most amps as far as clarity and definition.

The fist things I tend to think of when I hear someone mentioning buzzing are cab/IR blocks and how they're setup as far as mics, mic mixes, and mic placements, high cuts which is often related to bad cab/IR and micing setups, and occasionally listening position relative to the FRFR speaker such that you're getting overwhelmed by the horn in an FRFR.  I suppose it could also be due to palm muting technique if you're coming from a traditional setup which tends to be less articulate and therefore more forgiving when it comes to palm muting.  But without more information on how you have your signal chain setup it's pretty hard to come up with an answer.

• Like 1

No problem here with palm muting either...  I'd look to the mic settings as a quick test.

Many of the default cabs use a dynamic mic, 1" off the speaker. I'd recommend (at least to test) a 121, pulled about 6" back to see if the problem persists, or if it gets better. If it gets better, continue working with different mic choice/placement and the high cut. 

4 hours ago, bruin3182 said:

Ok.... whatever amp/cab combinations I Seem to use in moderate gain settings I get this horrid buzzy sound when palm muting power chords...

ie: start of “summer of ‘69”

I do not get this with my marshall DSL 40c (even at higher gain settings) and the same guitars...?

how can I dial this out??

ps: I’ve used 3 different sets of High end, powered full range speakers and also tried headphones... all give three same result??

help please?!! 

Attach a copy of one the offending presets (the worst) so we can hear the problem and look for a solution.

Ok guys.... thank you all. 
I will try your advice...

to be fair I’m NOT using a true FRFR speaker. 

it’s a full range £1000 - 1000w powered HK Audio Linear 5 11fa. 
a bit like listening through big high end studio monitors. 

Could that be the problem??

33 minutes ago, bruin3182 said:

Could that be the problem??

IMO... I don't think so. It's full range, and it's flat response (likely more flat response than most systems that claim to be).... it should be fine. 

If you are new to modeling, are you aware of the difference in how you are hearing things?

Listening to the Helix through a full range cabinet is NOT likely listening to a guitar amp. It is like listening to a guitar amp, with a mic on it, coming through the full range cabinet. 

EG: Put your marshall in another room, put a mic on it, and put the mic through your HK Audio Linear speaker. Now you are comparing apples to apples.