Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ah the Helix... three and a half years in...

hideout

It is remarkable how flexible this gear is.  I'm 4 years in and there's not a month that goes by that I don't discover new approaches and ideas for improving my sound, and I have NO interest at all in any new equipment.  I've got everything I need and I use everything I've got....for the first time in my life!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

It is remarkable how flexible this gear is.  I'm 4 years in and there's not a month that goes by that I don't discover new approaches and ideas for improving my sound, and I have NO interest at all in any new equipment.  I've got everything I need and I use everything I've got....for the first time in my life!!!

Yup.  I feel dat!   Oh sure, there are pedals such as those made by Strymon that intrigue me but there's nothing out there that keeps me from gigging.

1 year here! Been using line 6 since ever... This was a complete game changer.. I am using her ALL the time! None of my amps sound completely good without her in 4CM.. If have to choose between my amps and my Helix... goodbye amps... I can do sooooo many things with... it’s insane! I bet the Helix 2 will serve coffee and clean the kitchen.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

I have NO interest at all in any new equipment.  I've got everything I need and I use everything I've got....for the first time in my life!!!

One year in with the Helix myself, and that is exactly how I feel. I have sold most of my pedals and even sold off some of my amps. I no longer scour the local classifieds to buy/sell/trade amps/pedals any longer... and new amps/pedals don't interest me. 

I've been a line 6 user long before the Helix (POD, X3 Live, HD500) and in all those instances I never fully gave up my amps or my pedal board. I'd pick and choose the right tools for the gig which sometimes included the modeler, and sometimes didn't. Since acquiring the Helix, it has ALWAYS been the right choice for the gig.

It has been over 3 years since I upgraded from a X3 Live to Helix.  Needless to say, the difference was between night and day.  I play at least 2 gigs a week, year round, and have never had any issues other than the mic input pre-amp not working.  I don't miss lugging around a tube amp and separate peddle board....troubleshooting/finding/replacing bad patch cables.  Though rarely needed, Line 6 tech support has also been great.  

Even if Line 6 released a Helix II tomorrow, I'm not sure they could include enough additional features/upgrades to make me want to replace what I have now.  

Buncha Fanboize!!  (But then, so am I).

Yeah - Helix pretty much wrapped it all up for me, other than some poly fx that I put in the loops everything else I might need is already in there.  The only thing I've remotely considered picking up since Helix is maybe a Katana 50 just for the "one box grab-n-go" quickies.  But for any real work Helix has me covered.

So I've been a Stomp user for about a year now. I haven't been at all disappointed in it. It's been my baby and I've taken it everywhere. Sometimes with a pedal board of additional pedals, often just on its own, and I've just been thrilled.

So I sold it.

Bought myself the Helix floor. I was looking at a mic pre-amp to use with the Stomp which would have been a decent chunk of change. Then I realized I had a bunch of unused gear that would sell for a lot, and that the Stomp would sell for a lot . . . plus I own a Variax . . .saw a great deal on a mint used unit and suddenly found myself clicking "buy now."

And yeah. It's arguably complete overkill, but I'm really excited to be able to do EVERYTHING now. I'm hoping to have the same experience as everyone else, namely rarely needing anything else anymore. The Stomp almost pulled it off, and so now I'm thinking this might just put the nail in the coffin of gear chasing.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

@Kilrahi.... I went through the same thing with my HX effects last year... ended up with an LT after 8 months or so.

I could have gotten use out of the extra inputs on the full Helix... but I need to watch the dollars and here in Canada there is an $700 difference from the LT to Floor. 

Yeah I think the LT is a solid deal and when I would debate trading up I always envisioned the LT, not the floor. It was the mic preamp (I fancy myself an acoustic crooner - not everyone agrees) that made me even consider a floor.

I have to stress that the deal I landed on the full floor was flat out crazy (IMO). It was basically a pristine floor for the cost of a new LT. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:33 PM, Kilrahi said:

So I've been a Stomp user for about a year now. I haven't been at all disappointed in it. It's been my baby and I've taken it everywhere. Sometimes with a pedal board of additional pedals, often just on its own, and I've just been thrilled.

So I sold it.

:-)

I'm eventually going to do the reverse. I've got floor, which is a fantastic piece of kit (what everyone else said, basically), but I want a Stomp for holidays and jamming with pals so I'll be picking one up in due course. I still use the Pod HD for travel at the moment, but I think it's probably time to move on.

• Like 1