Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

AES and Axe-Fx III - Not working

Karl_Houseknecht

I configured my Axe-Fx III to send AES to my two Powercab Plus 112's.  Axe-Fx III AES Output > Powercab Plus AES input > PC Plus AES Output > 2nd PC Plus AES input.  I get static, dropouts, loud cracks and pops, and sometimes it sounds like it switched to flat mode despite the display showing Speaker mode.  

I am using 110 ohm AES cables for the connections, and they work perfectly with my Helix and L6Link to the Powercabs.

Any help would be appreciated.

I looked at the Axe FX III manual, and I don't really see much to adjust on the that as far as AES/EBU is concerned. It's set at 48kHz, so that shouldn't be an issue. Does it make any difference if you only have one PC connected?

Yep, tried two different AES 110 ohm cables, and 2 different plain XLR cables with the same result.  Of course, L6Link works great from the Helix.  Plain audio from the Axe-III also works great as you might expect.

Also, I have two Axe-Fx III's.  Neither of them works with either PC plus.

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, ectoplasm88 said:

Same issue here... something is not right on the powercab side I think.  I have a Helix and that works fine but my axe fx just crackles.

What Axe-Fx version?  III?  There are some reporting that their II works with it, which was my experience.  But the III doesn't seem to.

• 1 month later...

I'm a new AXE FX III user - bought it a few days ago. A used the 110 ohm AES cable from my Helix and connected it to the PowerCab (Axe: Balanced output left > PowerCab: Input 1) there was no problem … But you want to connect the Axe via AES to PowerCab – am I right? What would be the advantage using AES?

1 hour ago, uelef said:

But you want to connect the Axe via AES to PowerCab – am I right? What would be the advantage using AES?

Convenience and audio quality.  I can certainly connect the Axe using analog outputs, it's just that the PC+ advertises that AES is an option, and so far I haven't found that to be the case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2019 at 7:22 PM, Karl_Houseknecht said:

I configured my Axe-Fx III to send AES to my two Powercab Plus 112's.  Axe-Fx III AES Output > Powercab Plus AES input > PC Plus AES Output > 2nd PC Plus AES input.  I get static, dropouts, loud cracks and pops, and sometimes it sounds like it switched to flat mode despite the display showing Speaker mode.  

I am using 110 ohm AES cables for the connections, and they work perfectly with my Helix and L6Link to the Powercabs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Probably already tried this but since  I didn't see it stated here anywhere make sure 'Global Settings -->  Ins/Outs --> 'Digitial Output' = 'AES/EBU' and start with the 'Digital Out Level' parameter at zero.