Jump to content
SteveJohns

FYI: Helix and DT25/50 Power Section Control

Recommended Posts

FYI re: Helix and control of DT25/50:  (as of Helix FW 2.82 and HX Edit 2.82)

 

If L6 Link is connected, the DT25 disregards MIDI commands to the power section (Topology, Power Amp, Tube Config). This means the legacy Helix template preset 'DT25-DT50 Remote', which is programmed to offer footswitch commanding of the DT power section (via MIDI messages) *will not work* when the L6 Link is connected.  So, be aware!

 

You can, however, save 8 different power section setups (Topology, Power Amp, Tube Config) in Snapshots and recall them from the Helix over the L6 Link.

You cannot (per my experimentation) command the DT25 power section via footswitch buttons (over L6 Link). Unlike most other parameters, the Helix won't let you assign these to a footswitch.

 

In summary, using L6 Link, you *can* set up your Helix to give you DT25 power section variations at your feet, and that is (must be) done via Snapshots.

 

This info was confirmed by both experimentation and consultation with Line 6 Support.  Now you know (if you didn't already)!


Since there are 8 Snapshots, but 16 possible combinations of Topology, Power Amp, Tube Config

 

Topology     (x4)   Tight, Loose, ZNF, Resonance  (I-IV)
Power Amp    (x2)   A or AB
Tube Config  (x2)   Triode or Pentode

 

you won't be able to  put every possible combination into a single preset.

 

Attached are 4 preset files

:

DT25 cA 01.hlx          8 Snapshots of Class A setups, varying Topology and Tube Config
DT25 cAB 01.hlx        8 Snapshots of Class AB setups, varying Topology and Tube Config
DT25a cTri 01.hlx      8 Snapshots of Triode setups, varying Topology and Power Amp
DT25a cPen 01.hlx    8 Snapshots of Pentode setups, varying Topology and Power Amp

 

Enjoy!

 

 

 

DT25a cPen 01.hlx

DT25a cTri 01.hlx

DT25 cAB 01.hlx

DT25 cA 01.hlx

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for confirming this, and yes, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread. Just to also confirm, it seems the DT25 ignores all MIDI completely when connected with L6 (to my Helix LT), is that correct? It doesn't produce any output either when the Helix changes any of the DT25 Remote parameters.

 

So if we wanted to full MIDI control of the DT25 with the Helix we'd have to connect it with a 1/4" patch cable and use MIDI cables?

 

Is there any technical reason why future firmware updates couldn't allow all those commands to be sent over L6? Then again, v2 came out 7 years ago so I'm not thinking that firmware is being worked on any more!

 

Thank you!

-Stooxie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stooxie said:

Thank you for confirming this, and yes, I know I'm resurrecting an old thread. Just to also confirm, it seems the DT25 ignores all MIDI completely when connected with L6 (to my Helix LT), is that correct? It doesn't produce any output either when the Helix changes any of the DT25 Remote parameters.

 

So if we wanted to full MIDI control of the DT25 with the Helix we'd have to connect it with a 1/4" patch cable and use MIDI cables?

 

Is there any technical reason why future firmware updates couldn't allow all those commands to be sent over L6? Then again, v2 came out 7 years ago so I'm not thinking that firmware is being worked on any more!

 

Thank you!

-Stooxie

 

Not sure I understand the premise of your question. MIDI control doesn’t really give you anything that L6 Link connection doesn’t (other than I guess you can’t change amp models in the DT25, but you shouldn’t really need those amp models with the Helix connected). And you should be getting output from the DT25 with L6 Link connected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, phil_m said:

 

Not sure I understand the premise of your question. MIDI control doesn’t really give you anything that L6 Link connection doesn’t (other than I guess you can’t change amp models in the DT25, but you shouldn’t really need those amp models with the Helix connected). And you should be getting output from the DT25 with L6 Link connected.

 

Well, right, there's lots of things that can change with MIDI commands like the reverb type and cabinets. I agree, mostly I just use the Helix pre-amps with no cab and it works great, but why not have the option?

 

I just double checked, yes, the MIDI output does still occur for anything done via the DT25 physical knobs. If the Helix changes the settings there is no output. I'm not saying I need that, just interesting. However, it seems to ignore all incoming MIDI commands when the L6 is connected.

 

Also interesting to see which controls are ignored when the Helix is on channel A. Seems like Drive, bass, mid, treble are ignored, but presence (which makes sense) and reverb are active. Is there any kind of official documentation or statement on this? Seems like Line 6 has chosen which parts of the DT25 to "void out" when plugged into the Helix, would be nice to know which ones they are.

 

Thanks!

-Stooxie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stooxie said:

 

I just double checked, yes, the MIDI output does still occur for anything done via the DT25 physical knobs. If the Helix changes the settings there is no output. I'm not saying I need that, just interesting. However, it seems to ignore all incoming MIDI commands when the L6 is connected.

 

Am I correct in reading this to mean midi output, ie the Helix doesn't send pre-amp changes to the DT like the HD500 did? If my read is right I do believe you are correct.

 

think that if you want to use presents on the DT you have to program them independently using midi, and then select them from the Helix using L6 Link on the second channel.

 

My use case of the DT is to only use the power amp in various configurations so cant provide a definitive answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ooooooh on the second channel, that would actually make sense.... I can give that a try for kicks.

 

And yes, I meant that if the Helix changes from (for example) triode to pentode there is no MIDI output response. To be honest I'm not sure why that would even be useful other than to get some insight into what's really going on. I know that you can daisy chain DT25's together via the L6 link and that will duplicate the commands if set to do so in the DT25 output block.

 

-Stooxie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...