Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX FX > BLOFELD multi select

lbquota

Help! I need to sync the multi of a Waldorf Blofeld with the presets of my HX FX...I've tried so many different ways with no results...is there anyone having a Blofeld and an HX FX who can work it out and tell me how to do it?

Surfin' the net I've found out that I have to send a CC #0 with a value of 127 and then send a program change, with an instant command it seems that I can do it (with a MBS command)  but the Blofeld doesn't react in multi mode whilst in the preset mode everything works fine...

The Blofeld has the latest OS 1.2.5 and so it does the HX, they're both on midi channel 1

Additional thoughts over coffee:

CC#0 is "MSB" - Most Significant Bit. According to the MIDI Chart (Page 113), this parameter is not used. This is also true of Helix, although Helix can SEND this parameter if needed.

Your device has 1024 presets/128 = 8 Banks - just like Helix.

In order to recall a specific preset you need to send CC#32 (LSB - Least Significant Bit) with a VALUE of 0 (bank 1) to 7 (bank 8), followed by a PC# 0-127.

CC#32 Value 3 + PC#21 recalls preset #21 (the 22nd preset) in bank 4. (0=1,1=2,2=3,3=4......)

You can see how this is implemented on the Helix by pressing the Preset Knob, selecting a Preset, and looking at the values displayed over the second knob below the display.

In addition to the 1024 regular presets, there are an additional 128 presets available in MULTI MODE.

My assumption is that to recall a preset in MULTI MODE, after activating MULTI MODE,  you either:

Send the PC# (0-127) without CC#32 (since there's only one bank in MULTI MODE)

OR

Send CC#32 Value 0 + PC#0-127 in the name of redundancy. My money is on the first method (no CC#32), since that's how it works everywhere else in MIDI World for single bank devices.

Typically, once you've used CC#32 to select a Bank, you can then select any preset in that Bank without re-sending CC#32.

That's why when you send CC#0 (MSB), which is not used (ignored) by your device, the PC# you send will select the corresponding preset IN THAT BANK, which is Bank 0 (1) by default.

If, in Helix Globals - MIDI/Tempo - you set MIDI PC SEND to MIDI, when you select a preset in Helix it will send the PC# if the preset is in the current Bank, or the MSB/LSB Bank numbers PLUS the PC#. Perfect sync!

Still drinking coffee, if I think of anything else......

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2019 at 2:56 AM, cruisinon2 said:

This won't be of any help, but I'm curious...does anyone suppose that there's a worse name for a product than the 'Waldorf Blofeld'? It sounds like one of those "services" that concierges at an expensive hotels procure for rich dudes....;)

This must be an age thing: I thought naming your synthesisers after Bond villains was a stroke of (evil) genius, but I think I probably saw 'Diamonds are Forever' in the cinema ...

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/3/2019 at 1:56 PM, cruisinon2 said:

This won't be of any help, but I'm curious...does anyone suppose that there's a worse name for a product than the 'Waldorf Blofeld'? It sounds like one of those "services" that concierges at an expensive hotels procure for rich dudes....;)

LOL. Sounds like a Bond villain working in the hospitality industry. I believe the marketing department had "Goldfinger" and "Happy Ending" lined up if this one didn't test well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Stavro_Blofeld

Edit: Just saw Arkieboy got to it before I did.