Jump to content
paulsmusic

Global Volume Control of HD500X Pedal

Recommended Posts

I have just bought a used HD5000X on Ebay (first time using a Line-6 board), and am having trouble configuring the Pedal. The Pedal wasn't doing anything when I first switched on the HD500X, so I calibrated it according to the instructions in the advanced manual, and it is now functioning (I think) as a global volume control. I can't see anything in the manual about how to switch this off? I want to be able to assign Pedal control for individual FX in each patch, without the pedal also acting as a volume control. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but I'm a newbie, so any advice would be much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to start with a blank (New Tone) patch and build it up. Nothing will be assigned to the expression unless you added volume pedal or make the assignment yourself.

 

Depending on the patch you are using, it could be that previous owner assigned the channel volume parameter to the pedal. That is an often used approach for a post volume that saves an FX slot. But it's not obvious...you might have to look at each of the Blocks while moving the pedal to figure out what was done on the patch you are tinkering with...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, thanks for your reply. So, where would I find the channel volume? In the mixer? I can't enter the Controller Assign Screen when I select the mixer in the signal-flow view and double-press 'move'. I have scrolled through all the active FX blocks in one of the patches where the pedal is controlling the volume, gone into the Controller Assign Screen, and it is showing that the controller is off for all of the active FX, as well as the amp.

 

****EDIT**** Further to writing the above, I have gone into the Amp edit screen, and can see that the pedal is moving the channel volume. I am assuming this is where the pedal has been assigned? If so, is it the CTRL: AMP A setting that I am seeing at the bottom-right of the display that needs changing? And if so, how do I do this? I've tried turning the no. 4 button below the display but this isn't doing anything...

 

Are there no global assign settings for the pedal then? 

1 hour ago, spaceatl said:

Depending on the patch you are using, it could be that previous owner assigned the channel volume parameter to the pedal. That is an often used approach for a post volume that saves an FX slot. But it's not obvious...you might have to look at each of the Blocks while moving the pedal to figure out what was done on the patch you are tinkering with...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, paulsmusic said:

Are there no global assign settings for the pedal then? 

 

I am glad you added the question. Because I was reading this thinking "what". 

 

There is a Master Volume knob. There is a Global Equalizer. 

I have never seen on (on these units) a global pedal volume control. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

 

I am glad you added the question. Because I was reading this thinking "what". 

 

There is a Master Volume knob. There is a Global Equalizer. 

I have never seen on (on these units) a global pedal volume control. 

I may not have explained very well...I know that there's a channel volume, and a master volume, what I can't find is where the pedal has been assigned as a volume controller within the presets

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'll be honest. i am still kind of lost. 

so let me answer what i have picked up and let others fill in the rest.

*even if it is not what you want, it is always good to get the info out there from time to time so that others can see it. 

 

 

first, for clarity, the unit has a (physical) expression pedal that can be assigned to be just about anything. i point this out because many people assume it is a volume or wah, but it is an expression

 

the mixer is not (physical) pedal assignable. 

the unit has a (virtual) volume pedal. if you want to use it as a (physical) volume pedal, it needs to be (selected and then) assigned to the expression pedal. and the parameters need set. 

*setting the parameters is important. as example, i have a patch where the volume decreases with the toe instead of increases. 

you can assign the expression pedal to control the (virtual) volume knob of the (virtual) amp

you can even assign multiple things to the same pedal. 

*i have a patch where the volume and pitch work at the same time but in opposite directions. i decrease the volume while raising the pitch. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, paulsmusic said:

what I can't find is where the pedal has been assigned as a volume controller within the presets

 

page 3.7 and 3.9 of the advanced guide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your replies! I have been trying to explain this in terms of editing within the HD500x. I have now also gone into the Edit programme: here I can see in the Amps tab, the Exp-2 has been assigned to the channel volume. However, there is no option in the dropdown menu above the ch vol knob to re-assign the pedal, or switch it off. Likewise, if I go into the Control Assign screen on the HD500x, it will not allow me to alter the CTL:AMP A setting. So my question still is, how do I change this setting? I have already read page 3.7 and 3.9 in the manual, and cannot see this information. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

not sure if this is the most fitting forum feed but:

Is there any possibility to adjust all the presets master volume of my HELIX LT to the same level automatically? All my presets I downloaded are totally different loud. I want to avoid that.Can I do something with the global volume/settings or do I have to change the single volumes manually?

I would be happy about any help. Thanks a lot!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 9:13 AM, spaceatl said:

You might want to start with a blank (New Tone) patch and build it up. Nothing will be assigned to the expression unless you added volume pedal or make the assignment yourself. 

 

You really should heed spaceatl's advice here. Even if you don't use the patch you build, it's worth starting from zero and learning your way through that way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Phipps2 said:

not sure if this is the most fitting forum feed but:

 

it's not

not only isn't it the most fitting, it is way out in left field

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 4:40 PM, paulsmusic said:

I have now also gone into the Edit programme: here I can see in the Amps tab, the Exp-2 has been assigned to the channel volume. However, there is no option in the dropdown menu above the ch vol knob to re-assign the pedal, or switch it off. Likewise, if I go into the Control Assign screen on the HD500x, it will not allow me to alter the CTL:AMP A setting. So my question still is, how do I change this setting?

 

ZZs6P3t.png

 

Same thing directly on the device:

As you can see between the others there is also the OFF option in the CONTROLLER menu.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hurghanico said:

Thanks for posting this - it makes sense now!

 

13 hours ago, hurghanico said:

ZZs6P3t.png

 

Same thing directly on the device:

As you can see between the others there is also the OFF option in the CONTROLLER menu.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got my HD500X, and had to snoop around for a while to get familiar with expression pedal settings. Volume connection to expression pedal is not global, but it is defined in patch.

Looks like factory patches which have pedal volume have special volume-effect, and it is connected to expression pedal. And in some cases there is also wah-fx, and that is connected to another exp pedal. Switch between exp1 and exp2  with pushing toe pretty hard.

 

Hopefully this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×