Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Finally... somebody did the video!

hideout

FINALLY!

THE MOST IMPORTANT THIS vs THAT VIDEO EVER MADE!

Three absolutely, undeniably and indisputably factual and objective takeaways which once and for all put an end to all debate on the subject!

FIRST:

There IS a tube amp made by Fender called Princeton!

There IS a modeling amp made by Line6 called Spider V!

There IS a modeler made by Line6 called Helix!

There IS a profiler made by Kemper called Kemper Profiler!

SECOND:

The guys who made this video are TOTALLY CLUELESS!

Despite having been presented with objective proof of that, they went on to voice further meaningless opinions, as though anyone should care.

THIRD:

Someone, somewhere, likes at least ONE of the sounds that each of these devices makes.

WOW! EARTHSHAKING!

How did guitar players ever survive before YouTube?

• Like 2

I just don't get these kinds of comparison videos.  While my two favorite examples turned out to be the Spider and Helix, I didn't hear any differences, or even dynamic playing capability, that couldn't be remedied by a simple tweak of a knob - on ANY of the units.  This has pretty much been true of any pedal/amp, analog or solid state, that I've ever seen.   I also have no clue as to their method/attempt at achieving apples to apples between the different units, let alone the 3 to the 1.  So in reality, aren't we just listening to a comparison between manual "adjustments" and not tone capabilities of various equipment?   What I will suggest we can take away from this vid and the many others out there, is that the profiling tech has indeed finally come into its own just like the painful transition between film and digital photography - and like the latter proved to have been, the profiling is just getting started.

For me the lesson is not always the obvious. Sometimes you have to set the bigot down in front of "All in the Family" and hope he recognizes how stupid he looks :) 

What I like about this video and several others that are similar is not "what sounds better than what".... it's the exposure of confirmation bias. NO, I am not looking to ridicule the tube snob for choosing the Helix, or the Squier hater for choosing a Squier CV over a Custom Shop.... it's made ME aware of my own confirmation bias. 

EG: I never had an open mind toward the stock cabs on the Helix until I became aware of my own bias. 

NOTE: I'm not saying I like stock cabs because I watched THIS video... I'm saying I opened my mind to the stock cabs after watching videos like this! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The one positive I took from that video and others like it is that most all of the modern modelers (and the Profiler) can be made to sound good, or bad, depending on the skill of the video's producers and their own biases - I had no problem with any of the sounds in that video. I've seen other videos where any one of those devices were made to sound like crap. One of the funniest was an OBVIOUS Kemper snob who was comparing various high end FRFR speakers, and managed to make them ALL sound horrible!

Hey guys, creator of the video here. Our videos are getting more attention than I ever thought they would and I won’t try and defend anything since everyone’s entitled to their opinions. 

I personally became fed up with all the hate I was hearing about the Spider V, and once my buddies all acquired the amps to do it, we thought it would be fun to see what we thought sounded best. I have a background in video, so I thought “why not”.

We’re not attempting to make scientific discoveries. That’s why in this video, amps x and z sound good but y sounds bad and in our other video  y sounds great but x and z sound bad. We’re just trying to have some fun.

Take it for what it’s worth. We’re not professionals, just guys who like gear, trying to share it with y’all. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, EthanCaswell said:

Take it for what it’s worth. We’re not professionals, just guys who like gear, trying to share it with y’all. 

FWIW, I've watched all 3 of your amp/modeller comparison videos and enjoyed all of them.

So keep it up - there's room in YouTube land for all sorts! :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, EthanCaswell said:

Hey guys, creator of the video here. Our videos are getting more attention than I ever thought they would and I won’t try and defend anything since everyone’s entitled to their opinions. 

I personally became fed up with all the hate I was hearing about the Spider V, and once my buddies all acquired the amps to do it, we thought it would be fun to see what we thought sounded best. I have a background in video, so I thought “why not”.

We’re not attempting to make scientific discoveries. That’s why in this video, amps x and z sound good but y sounds bad and in our other video  y sounds great but x and z sound bad. We’re just trying to have some fun.

Thanks for posting that! I hope you didn't take my post as hate mail. It was mostly making fun of anyone who thought these types of comparisons are anything more than the subjective opinions of the producers/participants. Your videos (I've seen two) are well done, and make the points that I referred to, that all the modern modelers are capable of good sounds, and there's something for everybody. As you say, no science involved. It's good to know that you don't hold yourselves as "experts", just opinionated musicians. Aren't we all! Knowing that you don't take yourselves all that seriously, I apologize for the "clueless" remark. Rock On!