Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What's the Best Way to Integrate External Wah?

Steve_roberts

1 hour ago, Steve_roberts said:

I want to use my Bas Horsie II, but I'm not sure I'm hooking it up right.

What's the best way to integrate the external wah, so that it's available at all times?

Already asked and answered:

• 1 year later...

Any settings that need changed? 

I'm following this verbatim. at this point if jacks had feelings, they'd be annoyed from the guitar cable plugs entering and exiting over and over again!

Guitar 》 Wah 》 Guitar In...

I hear absolutely nothing when I switch the pedal on. No signal at all. 

What could be the problem?

Or add it in an effects loop.  Usually wah goes immediately after the guitar.  However, some people put it after fuzz/distortion.  Or you can go crazy and add wah to your delays or something, or at the very end of the chain for some crazy sounds.  My advice, is use whatever's onboard.  I like Throaty wah, personally.  I like that it works as volume pedal in the heel position -- it lowers your output volume.  I used to play BD for many years, and still have it on my old analog pedalboard. 

On 5/8/2021 at 8:34 PM, dj3000 said:

Any settings that need changed? 

I'm following this verbatim. at this point if jacks had feelings, they'd be annoyed from the guitar cable plugs entering and exiting over and over again!

Guitar 》 Wah 》 Guitar In...

I hear absolutely nothing when I switch the pedal on. No signal at all. 

What could be the problem?

Make sure your input is correct. Every time I've gotten no  sound it's been that I have the wrong input selected (so far).  If it is correct, try an FX loop (Send/Return) and put that in the patch.

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions but after trying effects loop, battery test and cable test, same issue remains.

I have a good and true signal when switching the pedal off. Nothing when switching the pedal on. 

Maybe bad switch or pot? I've seen many playin doctor with this thing to get it to work. 

5 hours ago, brue58ski said:

Make sure your input is correct. Every time I've gotten no  sound it's been that I have the wrong input selected (so far).  If it is correct, try an FX loop (Send/Return) and put that in the patch.

By input do you mean in global settings?

1 hour ago, dj3000 said:

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions but after trying effects loop, battery test and cable test, same issue remains.

I have a good and true signal when switching the pedal off. Nothing when switching the pedal on. 

Exactly what make and model is your wah?

I always try to fix my doo-dads unless they are still under warranty.  Sometimes the fix is pretty simple (like a broken connector wire, loose wiring harness, bad solder joint, etc). If I get in over my head (micro electronics, weird stuff that I don't even know what it is, etc) I usually give up. At least I know I tried to save the patient. Even then, I usually salvage components and screws (organ donor). Half the fun is trying to figure out how to take things apart! You also learn which manufacturers design and make quality stuff when you look inside. BTW, Line 6 gets an A+ (except for some of their Variax components and accessories).

• Upvote 1

An analog (perhaps stupid !) question: several wha pedals (expecially the older ones) are "not true-bypass".

Supposing the link GTR>Wha> Helix input, when the wha unit is "off" this that may negative affects the signal that go to Helix and/or the sound quality ?

8 hours ago, viola said:

An analog (perhaps stupid !) question: several wha pedals (expecially the older ones) are "not true-bypass".

Supposing the link GTR>Wha> Helix input, when the wha unit is "off" this that may negative affects the signal that go to Helix and/or the sound quality ?

Assuming you're referring to @dj3000, he says he's getting NO signal and, as I have the same device, that's not an issue.

As to "true-bypass" vs not, that has more to do with loss of high frequencies due to cable lengths and stuff I never really understood (and not even the experts agree on).

My 535Q is the only analog pedal I have, and I only use it with my HXS (my "noodle" box), I have a Floor for serious playing.

• Thanks 1

On 5/12/2021 at 9:28 AM, viola said:

I had an old wha VOX connecetd between guitar and Helix input who  sucked tone when "off".

So, a friend modified wha unit  as "true bypass" pedal and immediately I heard a sea of difference. Now the tone is not affected and an the sound is more "open".

So, my answer is yes. A not true bypass pedal before digital Helix input "may" affects the tone because cutting some frequencies.

• Thanks 1