Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Footpedal for Helix Native?

hodshonf

Its ugly and its old, but if you can find a decent used Behringer FCB 1010 works nicely. I don't recommend it for gigging because its so honking big. And the manual is in Martian, so its best if you are MIDI-versed, or a very patient person. Plenty of online info, users, and youtube vids, though.

Outside of that, there are all sorts of controllers out there, but a couple of things to keep in mind:

* Newer controllers are MIDI through USB, which is perfect for computer/plug-in control use. If you get an older controller (5-pin DIN output/input) with no USB, you'll need a MIDI interface with 5-pin for your computer (or a 5-pin to USB converter cable ... but a good one, not those $5 Chinese flea-bay ones).

* The FCB 1010 includes an expression pedal. Otherwise, you can shop for a MIDI footswitch and pedal separately. Figure out how many switches you need ... the price goes up as you add more.

* For any controller, make sure its programmable and capable of sending CC messages. If you want to perform preset changes, make sure it will also send PC commands (preferably programmable, rather than increment/decrement).

* If you're a decent hacker, there are videos on hacking cheap controllers (like Korg minikontrllers, etc). There are also plenty of MIDI "brains" or Arduino/Raspberry pi that can be wired up with foot switches and programmed to do what you want. Pretty geeky, but cheap.

* A lot of MIDI controllers are way overpriced. The used market is a good way to go.

1 hour ago, soundog said:

Its ugly and its old, but if you can find a decent used Behringer FCB 1010 works nicely. I don't recommend it for gigging because its so honking big. And the manual is in Martian, so its best if you are MIDI-versed, or a very patient person. Plenty of online info, users, and youtube vids, though.

Outside of that, there are all sorts of controllers out there, but a couple of things to keep in mind:

* Newer controllers are MIDI through USB, which is perfect for computer/plug-in control use. If you get an older controller (5-pin DIN output/input) with no USB, you'll need a MIDI interface with 5-pin for your computer (or a 5-pin to USB converter cable ... but a good one, not those $5 Chinese flea-bay ones).

* The FCB 1010 includes an expression pedal. Otherwise, you can shop for a MIDI footswitch and pedal separately. Figure out how many switches you need ... the price goes up as you add more.

* For any controller, make sure its programmable and capable of sending CC messages. If you want to perform preset changes, make sure it will also send PC commands (preferably programmable, rather than increment/decrement).

* If you're a decent hacker, there are videos on hacking cheap controllers (like Korg minikontrllers, etc). There are also plenty of MIDI "brains" or Arduino/Raspberry pi that can be wired up with foot switches and programmed to do what you want. Pretty geeky, but cheap.

* A lot of MIDI controllers are way overpriced. The used market is a good way to go.

thank you for the reply!

MAJOR DOH: i have an AKAI MPD232 i use for my orchestral library CC stuff.

this is just for studio use - SO, i will have to give the MPD232 a go.

akaimpd232.jpg

That Akai will work great as a controller--- the faders, pots, and switches can send CC info, the pads can send program changes. Of course, it would be hard to use when your hands are full of guitar. I have an Akai MidiMix that I opened up and wired footswitches to; you could do the same (but need to know a little about electronics and be handy with a soldering iron, and not opposed to voiding the warranty. But even with no footswtiches, use the knobs and faders sure beat using a mouse!