Jump to content

suggestions for organizing presets


godfather_77
 Share

Recommended Posts

I use my LT for bass, acoustic and electric, so I've got one setlist called Bass, one called acoustic (which has more than just acoustic stuff, simply b/c I don't need that many acoustic presets... lol), one called Electric (direct) for going straight to a PA, one called Preamp switches for running into the FX loop return of an amp, and one called FX only for running either into the front of an amp or in 4CM with an amp....  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pretty much the same way as Caledonia’s above.. It would be best to look at how you operate musically, then go from there.  Do you have a lot of different guitars?  If so do you need to accommodate everything from a D28 to a JEM?  Do you play in a band?  If so, do you need presets for each song or can you divide a few presets by genres ?  Will you be using FRFR mostly - or will you need several output choices?  Anyway... things to consider.  

 

Kinda off track, but back in the real amp days, when switching guitars, I’d just walk over to the amp and make a few quick tone changes (gain, bass, mid, treble, etc).  Now a days, I toggle through my setlists (electric, acoustic, pedal board, etc), scroll through the presets, then select, voila!  Not only am I simply changing tone settings, but now I’m rerouting the pedal board, swapping out effects, changing their parameters, swapping cabs and mics, etc... it really is amazing what’s going on with a push of a button!

 

And it actually sounds right too.

 

   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't forget you can also use a blank preset as a header name. I put dash lines in front and behind my headers.

 

- - - Devil Tones - - -

Cauldron

Pitchfork

Goat Herder

- - - Angel Tones - - -

Halo

White Wings

Pearly Gate

 

Its a handy method for making small groups and easy to create, organize and read using the Helix Editor.

 

MIDI is the fastest and easiest way to find to a tone....push a button and go straight to it. Use an iPhone and a camera connect kit to interface it to the Helix MIDI port, and there are plenty of apps available.

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I use the actual setlists for different storage purposes...but the process flow for me, helps make sure that my volumes are even.  Start with some level templates, build presets...make sure they are level...copy those into dual amp presets as needed (should remain level if template was done right), then copy those into song presets, then those into setlists for live use.

 

setlist 1 - Core tones - This set is great for on the fly gigs, or practices to try tones out with new songs.   these consist of my solo/duet acoustic presets (2) then a Single Amp and Dual Amp Template.  Then my Single Amp presets (clean, breakup, classic, country, 80's crunch, 80's rock, Modern Scoop, Modern Boost, Metal) followed by Dual Amp versions (using the single amp blocks copied into the Dual Amp Template for songs that require more than one sound/amp style).   My Single Amp and Dual Amp presets are named as such SA - CL (clean), SA - BR (breakup) etc, Dual Amp ones are DA - CL/BR (clean/breakup). The combinations I've made so far are on a needed basis based on Setlist 2....

 

Setlist 2 - Master Song library - I like to run a preset per song for my shows.  So I'll take the SA/DA presets in Setlist 1 and save them here, renaming them as the Song title.  So my DA - CL/RO (clean/80's rock) preset would get named Everything About You to play Ugly Kid Joe). 

 

Setlist 3 - Setlist A for my bands dancier songs - I copy the song/presets from Setlist 2 into Setlist 3 in proper setlist order.  That way when I play a show, I just go from preset to preset as we kick lollipop. 

 

Setlist 4 - Same as #3, just a different batch of songs, more rock style

 

Setlist 5 - Empty if I need it

 

Setlist 6+ - used for storing downloaded presets and such.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, themetallikid said:

I use the actual setlists for different storage purposes...but the process flow for me, helps make sure that my volumes are even.  Start with some level templates, build presets...make sure they are level...copy those into dual amp presets as needed (should remain level if template was done right), then copy those into song presets, then those into setlists for live use.

 

setlist 1 - Core tones - This set is great for on the fly gigs, or practices to try tones out with new songs.   these consist of my solo/duet acoustic presets (2) then a Single Amp and Dual Amp Template.  Then my Single Amp presets (clean, breakup, classic, country, 80's crunch, 80's rock, Modern Scoop, Modern Boost, Metal) followed by Dual Amp versions (using the single amp blocks copied into the Dual Amp Template for songs that require more than one sound/amp style).   My Single Amp and Dual Amp presets are named as such SA - CL (clean), SA - BR (breakup) etc, Dual Amp ones are DA - CL/BR (clean/breakup). The combinations I've made so far are on a needed basis based on Setlist 2....

 

Setlist 2 - Master Song library - I like to run a preset per song for my shows.  So I'll take the SA/DA presets in Setlist 1 and save them here, renaming them as the Song title.  So my DA - CL/RO (clean/80's rock) preset would get named Everything About You to play Ugly Kid Joe). 

 

Setlist 3 - Setlist A for my bands dancier songs - I copy the song/presets from Setlist 2 into Setlist 3 in proper setlist order.  That way when I play a show, I just go from preset to preset as we kick lollipop. 

 

Setlist 4 - Same as #3, just a different batch of songs, more rock style

 

Setlist 5 - Empty if I need it

 

Setlist 6+ - used for storing downloaded presets and such.

 

The forum must have a language filter for the word 'a$$'.....lmao....I always wondered why I see so many 'lollipops' in peoples posts.  figured it was a regional language/dialect thing with who was posting

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive settled down to 4 presets, each with 4 Snapshots.

the snapshots are always: Clean Rhythm, Drive Rhythm, Clean Solo, Drive Solo.

 

The Presets are based on a clean amp/dirty amp combo (the first two just change parameters on a single amp block, but the  Presets 3 and 4 both use 2 amp blocks.

The Presets are;

Arbitrator (with the drive settings quite subtle)

Plexi  (with the drives in the crunch zone)

Texas (Chan one for clean set on edge of break up, Chan 2 on a fat drive tone)

Placator (Clean is Matchstick chan 1, set very pristine, and Drive is the placator - big and gainy)

 

To make it even friendlier:

The Placator patch recalls on Snap one (Clean Rhythm)

The Plexi Patch recalls on Snap two (Drive Rhythm)

The Texas patch recalls on  Snap three (Clean Solo)

and the Placator patch recalls on Snap four (Drive Solo)

 

hence, I can have 8 tones on a single switch press or 16 on two presses

 

All of this backed up with 11 stomps, wah, filter, compressor, Minotor, Screamer, Tremolo, Phaser, Chorus, Tape Echo, Vintage delay, Reverb,.  I have a second compressor and revreb always on but subtle.

 

If I know I need a specific sound, say an 80s lead tone, ill go to  Patch 4, drop into stomp made and activate comp, chorus and delay, then click out of stomp mode and use the 4 snapshots for the song...when the solo comes  - Voila!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, themetallikid said:

 

The forum must have a language filter for the word 'a$$'.....lmao....I always wondered why I see so many 'lollipops' in peoples posts.  figured it was a regional language/dialect thing with who was posting

 

LOL --- I was wondering this too until I tested the lollipop thing. It seems every time you use any lollipop cuss word the lollipop forum exchanges the lollipop cuss word for the lollipop lollipop word "lollipop." It lollipops me off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:01 AM, themetallikid said:

I use the actual setlists for different storage purposes...but the process flow for me, helps make sure that my volumes are even.  Start with some level templates, build presets...make sure they are level...copy those into dual amp presets as needed (should remain level if template was done right), then copy those into song presets, then those into setlists for live use.

 

setlist 1 - Core tones - This set is great for on the fly gigs, or practices to try tones out with new songs.   these consist of my solo/duet acoustic presets (2) then a Single Amp and Dual Amp Template.  Then my Single Amp presets (clean, breakup, classic, country, 80's crunch, 80's rock, Modern Scoop, Modern Boost, Metal) followed by Dual Amp versions (using the single amp blocks copied into the Dual Amp Template for songs that require more than one sound/amp style).   My Single Amp and Dual Amp presets are named as such SA - CL (clean), SA - BR (breakup) etc, Dual Amp ones are DA - CL/BR (clean/breakup). The combinations I've made so far are on a needed basis based on Setlist 2....

 

Setlist 2 - Master Song library - I like to run a preset per song for my shows.  So I'll take the SA/DA presets in Setlist 1 and save them here, renaming them as the Song title.  So my DA - CL/RO (clean/80's rock) preset would get named Everything About You to play Ugly Kid Joe). 

 

Setlist 3 - Setlist A for my bands dancier songs - I copy the song/presets from Setlist 2 into Setlist 3 in proper setlist order.  That way when I play a show, I just go from preset to preset as we kick lollipop. 

 

Setlist 4 - Same as #3, just a different batch of songs, more rock style

 

Setlist 5 - Empty if I need it

 

Setlist 6+ - used for storing downloaded presets and such. 

Good ideas! I'm curious as to how you go about making sure that the volumes are even and how you create your level template.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:04 AM, soundog said:

Don't forget you can also use a blank preset as a header name. I put dash lines in front and behind my headers.

 

- - - Devil Tones - - -

Cauldron

Pitchfork

Goat Herder

- - - Angel Tones - - -

Halo

White Wings

Pearly Gate

 

Its a handy method for making small groups and easy to create, organize and read using the Helix Editor.

 

MIDI is the fastest and easiest way to find to a tone....push a button and go straight to it. Use an iPhone and a camera connect kit to interface it to the Helix MIDI port, and there are plenty of apps available.

 

I like the idea of using headers! Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, godfather_77 said:

Good ideas! I'm curious as to how you go about making sure that the volumes are even and how you create your level template.

 

Well level templates.....I first created a template of what I want in a preset.  Started (in order).... (path 1) Para EQ - WAH - OD - AMP, (path 2) IR Block - Para EQ - Reverb - Delay - Vol Block (more on this block later).  That gets me any single amp preset mostly that I'd want.  Other sounds I may not need these blocks, but I'd rather account for their space/DSP then take them out then try to find how to stick them in later.  Plus when I do my song presets, I don't always need a wah, or OD or maybe Delay...so those get removed later as well.  I carry on...in my template creation I used the JC-120 as my clean sound...set an overall preset level I was happy with...saved as SA Template.  Then copied it to the next preset, renamed DA Template.  I duplicated the Amp block on a parallel line (though this will be changing for me I think, see my other thread about parallel vs serial routing), duplicate settings.  At the Merge block I raised the level +3db to compensate for the loss of 3db as I don't run dual amps in a combination sound, more so an A/B switching capacity, so to compensate for the difference in volume (science beyond my comprehension) I have to add 3db.  I then compared both the SA preset to Amps A and B and they should be similar. 

 

When then creating my Single Amp presets (clean/breakup etc.) I copy the SA template to the new location, save as SA - Breakup or whatever....and when I get a tone I like, I compare it at gig-ish volumes to the Clean preset.  Once I have them where I feel they are level, I move on to the next and so on.

 

For the DA presets, because of the +3db level setting in the merge block, I should be able to just copy my Amp blocks from the SA presets and paste into a DA preset and they should be REALLY close...which they have been.  Any changes I heard were more to compensate for DSP shortages and having to share EQ's or whatever, but its minimal and still sounds good. 

 

The next step was to create consistent volume boosts for leads which is done by the volume block at the end of my chain.  So above I mentioned that I do the +3db at the merge block...I found that was giving me some inconsistent results when I got to the higher gain amps and how the channel volumes  on the amps were then being boosted +db into the rest of my chain..and didn't like having to compensate for that.  I want things as consistent as I can get if I need to adjust something I want to have to adjust it the same across all spots, not one preset by x and another preset using the same sound by y because one is a SA and one is a DA preset....does that make sense? lol.....so instead I use my volume block at the end of my chain with a +3db on the DA presets and then any lead boosts are on top of the +3db. 

 

This gets me really close, however your mileage may vary of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, themetallikid said:

 

Well level templates.....I first created a template of what I want in a preset.  Started (in order).... (path 1) Para EQ - WAH - OD - AMP, (path 2) IR Block - Para EQ - Reverb - Delay - Vol Block (more on this block later).  That gets me any single amp preset mostly that I'd want.  Other sounds I may not need these blocks, but I'd rather account for their space/DSP then take them out then try to find how to stick them in later.  Plus when I do my song presets, I don't always need a wah, or OD or maybe Delay...so those get removed later as well.  I carry on...in my template creation I used the JC-120 as my clean sound...set an overall preset level I was happy with...saved as SA Template.  Then copied it to the next preset, renamed DA Template.  I duplicated the Amp block on a parallel line (though this will be changing for me I think, see my other thread about parallel vs serial routing), duplicate settings.  At the Merge block I raised the level +3db to compensate for the loss of 3db as I don't run dual amps in a combination sound, more so an A/B switching capacity, so to compensate for the difference in volume (science beyond my comprehension) I have to add 3db.  I then compared both the SA preset to Amps A and B and they should be similar. 

 

When then creating my Single Amp presets (clean/breakup etc.) I copy the SA template to the new location, save as SA - Breakup or whatever....and when I get a tone I like, I compare it at gig-ish volumes to the Clean preset.  Once I have them where I feel they are level, I move on to the next and so on.

 

For the DA presets, because of the +3db level setting in the merge block, I should be able to just copy my Amp blocks from the SA presets and paste into a DA preset and they should be REALLY close...which they have been.  Any changes I heard were more to compensate for DSP shortages and having to share EQ's or whatever, but its minimal and still sounds good. 

 

The next step was to create consistent volume boosts for leads which is done by the volume block at the end of my chain.  So above I mentioned that I do the +3db at the merge block...I found that was giving me some inconsistent results when I got to the higher gain amps and how the channel volumes  on the amps were then being boosted +db into the rest of my chain..and didn't like having to compensate for that.  I want things as consistent as I can get if I need to adjust something I want to have to adjust it the same across all spots, not one preset by x and another preset using the same sound by y because one is a SA and one is a DA preset....does that make sense? lol.....so instead I use my volume block at the end of my chain with a +3db on the DA presets and then any lead boosts are on top of the +3db. 

 

This gets me really close, however your mileage may vary of course.

Thanks! I'll give that shot. just learning about the Hx.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Haven’t purchased a helix floor yet. Can you arrange each strip label such that for a live gig situation you have say a preset for a particular verse, chorus, solo etc?

 

We have a set list of about thirty songs and I really can’t live with tap dancing any longer. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, J200george said:

Haven’t purchased a helix floor yet. Can you arrange each strip label such that for a live gig situation you have say a preset for a particular verse, chorus, solo etc?

 

We have a set list of about thirty songs and I really can’t live with tap dancing any longer. 
 

 

 

You probably wouldn't want a preset for each verse, chorus etc.  Presets tend to be more applicable to songs or a group of songs, and within a preset you might have snapshots for verse, chorus, solo, etc.  Presets would define all the things you will need such as the amp model, cab, overdrives, reverb, delay, chorus, EQ etc.  You can then change the settings of those things on the fly with snapshots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, J200george said:

Haven’t purchased a helix floor yet. Can you arrange each strip label such that for a live gig situation you have say a preset for a particular verse, chorus, solo etc?

 

We have a set list of about thirty songs and I really can’t live with tap dancing any longer. 
 

 

 

One patch per song is the way you want to go, using individual snapshots within each preset to cover whatever changes (verse, chorus, solo, etc etc) you need throughout a given tune.

 

But trying to set up an individual patch for each verse, chorus, and solo section of every song will get cumbersome very quickly. For 30 tunes you'd end up with almost 100 patches, perhaps more depending on the songs in question. That's nuts...it would be an organizational nightmare to name and curate everything so that you'd know what you're looking at at a glance, and would require you to access multiple banks of patches to get to everything... that's still gonna be a fair amount of tap dancing both during and especially between songs.

 

Then there's the audible gap that exists between patch changes, which is certainly not what you want to hear between every verse and chorus. This can be avoided, but only by limiting yourself to single-path presets...with the DSP limit this imposes, it would require that all your patches be kept very simple, somewhat limiting what Helix has to offer. Using snapshots within a preset on the other hand, is instantaneous. There are no audible drop outs no matter how many simultaneous parameter changes are made, and for any one tone you'd have twice the DSP at your disposal compared to a bunch of single-path presets.

 

This is really not the way to go...

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2019 at 6:49 AM, godfather_77 said:

I'm wondering how do you organize your presets to make it easier to find the tone that you need?

I set my presets in Style order  like:

All the acoustic with as LAST LETTER after a space a big A on screen  " Acoutic amp A "

All the clean with a Big "C"    "God is there  C"

All the crunch with a big " CR"    "Nirvana  CR"

All the Chorus "CH"   "Purple rain CH"

All the Distortion & Drive " D"

All the Synth fx  " SX"

All the Bass  "B"

etc....

I know immediately that i f I want any  chorus fx I go to the top

If I need a Bass preset I go to the bottom etc...

Don't mix your preset otherway you take a lot of time to find one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got frustrated trying to find my presets so I created a way to tag and analyze my presets so that I could search across all my presets for presets that used specific models or tags.  Check out helixlib.com, you can upload 10 presets for free, and I'm not currently charging for it so I'll be happy to increase that limit if you find it helpful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...