Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Convert Signal from Balanced to Unbalnced

Crunch71

Hello,

I am running the HX Stomp outputs to my Denon power amp on the other side of my room. Since it’s about a 16ft run, there is quite a bit of noise/interference. I tried using an Analog to Digtal converter to run the signal the long distance. Noise was reduced, but I felt the extra A/D conversion wasn’t good.

Too bad they didn’t include a Digital Out on the Stomp. It’s the only output connection I miss from my previous HD500X.

I was thinking that since the HX Stomp uses Balanced Outputs, I could run balanced cables for the 16ft run, then at the end of the run, covert the Balanced signal to an Unbalanced signal to plug into my Denon power amp with a short cable.

I know direct boxes can take a Balanced signal and covert into a Balanced signal. Are there boxes that can do the opposite? Convert Balanced into Unbalanced? Preferably with a RCA jack output?

Thanks!!

for a digital signal you could use the USB Out but theres gonna have to be a PC in-between your HXS > PC > Denon

balanced/unbalanced cables are plentiful and you could make them yourself. https://www.rane.com/note110.html

you could also try a balanced cable with a  Switchcraft 303 inbetween your HXS and Denon. HXS > SW303 > Denon

but if theres noise/hum, maybe consider your mains source/s, lighting; dimmers, florescent, AC. As stated you should be able to get a clean signal in a 16ft run.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, karlkaminski said:

for a digital signal you could use the USB Out but theres gonna have to be a PC in-between your HXS > PC > Denon

balanced/unbalanced cables are plentiful and you could make them yourself. https://www.rane.com/note110.html

you could also try a balanced cable with a  Switchcraft 303 inbetween your HXS and Denon. HXS > SW303 > Denon

but if theres noise/hum, maybe consider your mains source/s, lighting; dimmers, florescent, AC. As stated you should be able to get a clean signal in a 16ft run.

Thanks Karl!

I do have my Stomp connected to my PC thorugh USB and the PC connected to my Denon though HDMI. This allows the Stomp to be the audio source for the PC for all Windows audio , but I wasn't aware that the Stomps' Guitar signal will playback live? Am I missing something?

You could use something like this:

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/bogen-communications-inc-/wmt1a/70146557/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0IDtBRC6ARIsAIA5gWsD-JONLGZYRdIQmTZMQjk-O_yIK7CRWfeZ8Vh90WL1kw0aFRgeYY8aAjR_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

or 

https://www.ccisolutions.com/StoreFront/product/shure-a85f with an adapter.

But... a 16 ft run shouldn't be an issue running unbalanced (we do that with guitar cables all the time)

And note that using a simple cable wiring style adapter will effectively unbalance the whole run. You have to have a transformer or an active device with differential inputs on the receiving side to keep it balanced and maintain common mode noise rejection.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

It's 3 years later, but for anyone that comes across this thread, I have been dealing with a similar concern connecting my HX Stomp to a stage box with balanced inputs and outputs. It's a Behringer SD16, and it looks like the type of balancing the SD16 does, I can use a cable that converts the XLR to a TS 1/4 inch wherein the low (also known as minus or cold) pin is connected to ground. This seems to work fine, at least for the HX Stomp input that is not a balanced input. I understand the HX Stomp outputs are balanced, but I a am struggling to get a signal through a TRS output back to the stage box as an XLR input (no signal being received). Still debugging that issue.

Anyway, the point of my post is that in my research for solutions to actively balance and unbalance a signal so you can connect it to your balanced and unbalanced endpoints, I did find this device. I have not tried it, but it seems like it could be a solution to the problem stated in this thread, assuming the noise is/was a RFI/EMI problem and a balanced cable signal really is needed.  It's called a CleanBox Pro by Art.