Crunch71

Convert Signal from Balanced to Unbalnced

Hello,

I am running the HX Stomp outputs to my Denon power amp on the other side of my room. Since it’s about a 16ft run, there is quite a bit of noise/interference. I tried using an Analog to Digtal converter to run the signal the long distance. Noise was reduced, but I felt the extra A/D conversion wasn’t good.

Too bad they didn’t include a Digital Out on the Stomp. It’s the only output connection I miss from my previous HD500X.

I was thinking that since the HX Stomp uses Balanced Outputs, I could run balanced cables for the 16ft run, then at the end of the run, covert the Balanced signal to an Unbalanced signal to plug into my Denon power amp with a short cable.

I know direct boxes can take a Balanced signal and covert into a Balanced signal. Are there boxes that can do the opposite? Convert Balanced into Unbalanced? Preferably with a RCA jack output?

Thanks!!

There really shouldn't be a lot of additional noise and/or interference from a 16 ft run. I honestly don't think it's worth the trouble worrying about it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your opinion Phil. I think you may be right.  I still miss the Digital Out.

for a digital signal you could use the USB Out but theres gonna have to be a PC in-between your HXS > PC > Denon

balanced/unbalanced cables are plentiful and you could make them yourself. https://www.rane.com/note110.html

you could also try a balanced cable with a  Switchcraft 303 inbetween your HXS and Denon. HXS > SW303 > Denon

but if theres noise/hum, maybe consider your mains source/s, lighting; dimmers, florescent, AC. As stated you should be able to get a clean signal in a 16ft run.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, karlkaminski said:

for a digital signal you could use the USB Out but theres gonna have to be a PC in-between your HXS > PC > Denon

balanced/unbalanced cables are plentiful and you could make them yourself. https://www.rane.com/note110.html

you could also try a balanced cable with a  Switchcraft 303 inbetween your HXS and Denon. HXS > SW303 > Denon

but if theres noise/hum, maybe consider your mains source/s, lighting; dimmers, florescent, AC. As stated you should be able to get a clean signal in a 16ft run.

Thanks Karl!

I do have my Stomp connected to my PC thorugh USB and the PC connected to my Denon though HDMI. This allows the Stomp to be the audio source for the PC for all Windows audio , but I wasn't aware that the Stomps' Guitar signal will playback live? Am I missing something?

Yes it can/should be able to "monitor" your tracking live. the USB section in the manual pg 44 should give a breakdown of ins/out settings via USB

But, if you have your HXS analog outs to Denon AND digital thru the PC... that might be your "noise source"

• Thanks 1

You could use something like this:

https://www.alliedelec.com/product/bogen-communications-inc-/wmt1a/70146557/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0IDtBRC6ARIsAIA5gWsD-JONLGZYRdIQmTZMQjk-O_yIK7CRWfeZ8Vh90WL1kw0aFRgeYY8aAjR_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

or 

https://www.ccisolutions.com/StoreFront/product/shure-a85f with an adapter.

But... a 16 ft run shouldn't be an issue running unbalanced (we do that with guitar cables all the time)

And note that using a simple cable wiring style adapter will effectively unbalance the whole run. You have to have a transformer or an active device with differential inputs on the receiving side to keep it balanced and maintain common mode noise rejection.

• Thanks 1