Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Global Output Volume

pejkkj

There is no global output volume. You can set the inputs and outputs to be instrument or line level according to the setup you're using, but the HX Effects is designed to be a unity gain type of product, meaning that when you it insert into your signal chain, it shouldn't change the level of the signal when it's bypassed. Of course individual effects blocks can affect the gain. Also, if you create a split path where you have two output blocks, you can adjust the level of the various outputs there. This is more for the purpose of balancing the level than serving a master output level, though.

AFAIK, none of the Helix devices have a GLOBAL output level. The level can be adjusted with the Volume Knob, or from the Output Block as phil pointed out, but the closest thing to a GLOBAL Output Level would be the Gain setting on the Global EQ.

1 hour ago, pejkkj said:

Ok, got it.  Thanks.  Does the HX Stomp have a global output level, or is it the same as HX Effects?

Well, the Stomp has a master volume knob that's controls the overall output level. That's a global output level, I suppose.

• 2 years later...

You could buy an attenuator for your amp. A good one can be pricey.

Or you could buy an amp that's made for your situation. What's your budget?

TBH, there's not many amps that can be played with satisfactory tone when someone is sleeping in the next room.

Most of us get something that's suitable for use with headphones. Again, what's your budget?

On 8/17/2022 at 6:02 PM, beavis3000 said:

Seems the HX Effects needs a global volume adjustment.  I generally play in the evening after the Mrs goes to bed.  So low volume is a must.  I can't turn my amps down any lower and so how the heck can the HX Effects unit lower the output volume?

I don't understand the complaint.  You can basically turn the volume down to zero on the HX Effects. 

If you still hear stuff after turning the volume down then it's the amp's fault. 

I think they're referring to the mixer block, which is any spot in your signal path where a split rejoins. You can easily modify the output level of the mixer block. It's useful to know about. 

However, if you're not using split paths you won't see a mixer block. 

I still feel like the general concerns on this issue are people not realizing the numerous ways to adjust volume in the HX Effects. There is no "global" output volume. If for some reason you want a general all purpose volume your best choice is the original one Phil gave. The output block at the very end of the signal chain, which is a preset by preset option. 

• Upvote 2