Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Natural preset...What goes to xlr out?

seavote

Ive found i prefer the natural preset with no IR coming out of my helix. But im thinking that when i use this setting and then go direct out of my powercab into a PA ,the signal to the PA has no speaker or cab emulation on it at all. is this true or does the natural presethave some type of speaker emulation on it as well? thanks for any info

We don’t know the exact relationship between the Powercab speaker models and what goes out the XLR outputs. What we do know is that there is a choice of microphone model and position. This suggest that the XLR outputs are using an impulse response to model the chosen speaker in a 1 or 2x12 cabinet. Powercab has all the technology needed to support this, so this is probably a good guess.

For the Natural speaker model, we can only guess that Powercab is using an IR created from the actual Eminence speaker in the cabinet. That would not be difficult to do, and would be the simplest, most straight forward design.

These are only guesses. In practice, it doesn’t really matter. If you like the Natural model, then use it. But you should always verify that the FOH is also acceptable, regardless of whether it is the same or not. Its probably good practice to rely on your ears, not on any technical architecture details, or how we might think things should work.

Thanks for the reply. I had guessed that what your proposing happens in Natural preset could be what's going out to front of house. I only used my power cab for1 gig and it was also the first time  I've used my helix for a gig. I found the power cab is very directional  and had trouble hearing it when I was off axis.  Has anyone else experienced this. Unfortunately I don't use a wireless system  so I couldn't get far enough in front of the PA to hear my PA signal properly. I was a guest sitting in with the band so I didn't want to crank up my volumn . So the sound guy did put my guitar in the monitors. Sounded ok to me and the sound man had no complaints but I'd like to hear for myself out front Until then I would like to know what the signal coming out of my power cab is. Don't think that's much to ask from Line 6 support.. Do those guys answer threads here? I thought that was the idea of Line6 hosting aforum for their products. If not I will definitely pose the question directly to Line 6 technical support. 

Most, if not all guitar speakers/cabinets are pretty directional, its the nature of a guitar speaker. In Flat/FRFR, the tweeter is on, but its screwed onto the back of the speaker and goes through a hole in the magnet. That adds a little acoustic loading, but is probably very directional too. Listening to a guitar speaker off axis is often a better sound. I use IEMs and couldn't get by without them. If I'm ever in a situation where I can't use them, I use custom ear plugs. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/11/2019 at 6:00 PM, amsdenj said:

it is the same or not. Its probably good practice to rely on your ears, not on any technical architecture details, or how we might think things should work.

I would agree with this principle in general but in the case of the PC+ it seems important to know exactly what is going out to FOH from the XLR outputs for every option I can select on the PC+. Avoids nasty surprises at the gig. Seems like a spreadsheet with all the PC+ modes listed and precisely what they output via XLR would be handy. If there are any parameters like for example a HF Cut that don't get sent universally those should probably be included as well. Anything like that out there yet?