Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix strobe tuner accuracy in cents

dhgrind

Hello, 

I’ve used the search function and googled a bunch but have not been able to locate the information on strobe tuner accuracy. My main interest is to be able to use it for setting my intonation. I previously used a turbo tuner st200 rated at .02 cents accuracy. 

I’m hoping the accuracy is similar with the helix so I can just use one device for everything.

Thanks. 

I think the actual tuner is accurate to +/- .01 cent, but the display is closer to +/- 0.1 cent. That's the thing with tuners. There are physical limitations that limit the accuracy beyond what the actual electronics can do. I don't believe there's a guitar string out there that will really maintain a pitch for any period of time within a few tenths of a cent.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

I don't believe there's a guitar string out there that will really maintain a pitch for any period of time with a few tenths of a cent.

^^^ This, plus the fact that not all that many bridges are intonated well enough for fractions of a cent to be a rational concern during tuning :-)

Just my .2 cents... :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BBD_123 said:

^^^ This, plus the fact that not all that many bridges are intonated well enough for fractions of a cent to be a rational concern during tuning :-)

Just my .2 cents... :-)

Indeed, lol...Obsessing over tuner specs is a waste of time, as they're little more than advertising fodder. Anyone claiming to be able to hear the difference between a few tenths, or hundredths of a cent (which is even more ridiculous) is one of two things:

1) A terminator sent to destroy us all.

2) Delusional.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

well I’ll still be getting a helix in the future but for now I went with a Unitune clip (strobe is listed at +-.02 cents accuracy) 

you’re all probably right about the audible range and accuracy able to be displayed with current consumer based tech. 

I look forward to checking out the accuracy of the tuner myself soon!

On 10/12/2019 at 12:34 PM, cruisinon2 said:

Indeed, lol...Obsessing over tuner specs is a waste of time, as they're little more than advertising fodder. Anyone claiming to be able to hear the difference between a few tenths, or hundredths of a cent (which is even more ridiculous) is one of two things:

1) A terminator sent to destroy us all.

2) Delusional.

3) Yngwie

• Haha 1