Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do I load IR's? Do Line 6 do their own? If so, where are they?

NUTKIN13

Hi everyone. Sorry, I'm new to owning a Helix so this may appear to be a dumb question, but, where do I get IR's from? Do Line 6 do their own? If so, how do I load them, as I can't see anything on my HX screen that says where I get them from and so on. I can see the little IR icon box (top left), but where do I drag them from to put them there? 

The units do not come with any IR's... so nothing gets loaded with factory resets. 

Line 6 does offer a small free set which is decent enough to get your feet wet. This is the Allure Pack and can be downloaded from here once you hand over your email address. It's still Line 6, so I wasn't concerned about giving my email address. I don't think it's available from within your user account, but I could be wrong.

https://line6.com/allure/

You load them through HX Edit with the Helix connected to the computer. You can change the "preset tab" to the "IR tab" then just import them into the available slots. 

So I downloaded the Allure pack and loaded them into my Helix LT via the HX Edit software. All 6 of them are visible in the IR tab but when I drop an IR block into my signal chain, I can only select from two models, neither of which match the names from the Allure pack. The weird part, when I am in the HX Edit software with the IR block selected I can drag the scroll bar and select any of the IR's from the Allure pack, but not from the Helix.

Did I miss a step?

3 hours ago, mjc009 said:

Did I miss a step?

Maybe you are looking for the name too quickly....

1. Insert an IR block into your preset. You will have a choice between a 1024 or a 2048. If those are the names you are seeing, that is JUST loading a block, NOT an IR. Keep going.... :)
  2. Next... navigate to that block and choose the IR from the IR SELECT parameter. 

10 minutes ago, mjc009 said:

Silly question, the 1024 & 2048 mean anything? If I had to guess I'd say ones a single cab the other a dual.

It's the number of samples an IR may have as its maximum. Longer IRs are able to contain more of whatever room reflections. 1024 samples at 48kHz (internal sample rate of the Helix) represent around 20ms in length, so 2048 represent 40ms.

Personally, I vastly prefer shorter IRs for live playing as certain early reflections they may contain would be kinda implying you'd be in a weird room. I also think that many of those longer IRs feel less direct under my picking hand. Sometimes I even trim them in length (in fact, I always do as I do my own IRs, but that's another story).
Whatever, non of them are stereo, the Helix only supports mono IRs.

Oh, and the 2048 versions will consume more DSP power - another reason for not using them.

• Thanks 1