Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 Stomp Footswitch Options

Notro

Hello!

I am considering the Stomp as an option as a fly rig. I play on cruise ships and they require only 2 pieces of luggage, so I'm looking at options to replace my pedalboard.

I have a two switch external footswitch already so I'd definitely use it with the Stomp. I just need to find out whether it would work for my set up.

I would need Clean, Overdrive and Solo tone.

I understand that you can do this in the snapshot. But sometimes I'd want delay on for the solo tone or others. 

Could the external footswitch be assigned to switch delay on/off in the snapshot mode for all of the snapshots. Or is this not possible? And is there another way to get this? 

By the way I've never used multi effect units so go easy on me! 

Any help would be great!

You can get four foot switches, including one under the expression pedal (which can be used for anything). This is more flexible than three snapshots because you can get all possible combinations of those four foot switches, each of which can change up to 8 parameters. You can reduce the number of foot switches by combining things under one switch. For example, switching from a clean tone with a compressor to an overdriven tone that changes the amp drive can be done with one foot switch. You don't need a compressor going into a distorted amp because the clipping amp is already a kind of compressor.

You can also save foot switches by leaving effects like delay and reverb on all the time.

Its great to have multiple overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals in you signal chain and control them all individually, stacking them for lots of tone and saturation options. But with HX Stomp, you just don't have the blocks or foot switches to do this. Instead, pick an amp model with lots of gain options, use a foot switch to switch between a couple of drive, high cut, bass, presence, etc. settings and then use your guitar volume to fine tune the saturation level. You can get lots of distortion tones this way with one foot switch, and no extra distortion blocks.

I have found the forced simplicity in HX Stomp isn't really that much of an inhibitor to achieving serviceable tone and sometimes simplicity has its own value.

50 minutes ago, amsdenj said:

You can get four foot switches, including one under the expression pedal (which can be used for anything). This is more flexible than three snapshots because you can get all possible combinations of those four foot switches, each of which can change up to 8 parameters. You can reduce the number of foot switches by combining things under one switch. For example, switching from a clean tone with a compressor to an overdriven tone that changes the amp drive can be done with one foot switch. You don't need a compressor going into a distorted amp because the clipping amp is already a kind of compressor.

You can also save foot switches by leaving effects like delay and reverb on all the time.

Its great to have multiple overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals in you signal chain and control them all individually, stacking them for lots of tone and saturation options. But with HX Stomp, you just don't have the blocks or foot switches to do this. Instead, pick an amp model with lots of gain options, use a foot switch to switch between a couple of drive, high cut, bass, presence, etc. settings and then use your guitar volume to fine tune the saturation level. You can get lots of distortion tones this way with one foot switch, and no extra distortion blocks.

I have found the forced simplicity in HX Stomp isn't really that much of an inhibitor to achieving serviceable tone and sometimes simplicity has its own value.

Well I dont have an expression pedal, just a dual switch. 

So you say 4 foot switches but wouldn't it be 5 with the extra 2? 

So which mode would this be in?

Can you assign the switches to do more than one function, when you are not in Snapshot mode?

If I can get it to work this way then I'm sure that the Stomp would be all I need.

The expression inputs to HX Stomp can be any combination of two expression or footswitch. So you can have FS 4 and FS 5 if you want.

HX Stomp only has 3 snapshots, so if you have FS 4 and FS 5, you can have two footswitches with 3 snapshots at the same time. 

Each footswitch can control up to 8 things: effect bypass and/or parameter min/max values.

Each snapshot can save values for up to 64 parameters. 

FS mode can be either stomp or snapshot.

HX Stomp is an amazing piece of gear. Here's a great video:

And another: