Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

M20d External Hard Disk 14 Channel Recording Failed

I bought a Verbatim 500 giga fat32 external hard disk for my 14 channel recordings, but after 10 minutes it stopped. A warning message said that hard disk was not good for recording, and to try with less channels.

But specifications seemed good to me:

Interface: USB 3.0 / 2.0 port

Data Transfer Rate: up to 4800 Mbits/second (USB Bus Speed)

Rotational Speed: 5400rpm

Cache: 8MB or greater

This is the hard disk:

http://www.verbatim-europe.co.uk/en_1/product_store-n-go-usb-3-0-portable-hard-drive-500gb-black_8749_0_33542.html

Can someone suggest me correct hard disk specifications for recordings?

Thanks very much

yes, correct. 

But Line6 says that SD card slot need a class 10 (10 mb x second) transfer rate, and don't say anything about Hard disk requirements

So I thought that SD card slot and Hard disk slot just needed about the same kind of transfer rate. 

This hard disk, with its 5400 rpm, offer maximum 4800 mbits/sec transfer rate that means more than 500 mb x second....so  I thought it was really good. 

But I discovered that there must be a very big difference between SD card slot and Hard Disk slot. 

So it 'd be a good idea to indicate the exact minimum requirements about hard disk too.

I had the same problem with an USB Pen (32gb usb3.0). 

But I suspect the problem is the pen... It got really hot and stopped recording.

But it did the same transferring files really fast on the PC... So it must be the pen! 

Never had a problem with the class 10 SD Card! So I'm sticking to that.

In fact, when I had the problem with the pen I've posted it here in the forum (or the old forum...) and someone from line6 replied that it's advised to use the SD card because by the specifications (class 10) is possible to guaranty the transfer rates.

Since I've did that (stick to the SD) never had a problem. And it makes sense... A class10 card is way more expensive than a usb3.0 pen. There must be a reason.

Never tried with a hard drive... Just sharing my experience with an USB device. 

• 2 weeks later...

HELP REQUEST TO LINE6 STAFF: could you please tell us the minimum requirements for recording on HARD DISK or on USB STICK?

We know minimum requirements about recording on SD CARD (it must be class 10), but we do not have idea about minimum recording on HARD DISK or US STICK.

Thanks very much

HELP REQUEST TO LINE6 STAFF: could you please tell us the minimum requirements for recording on HARD DISK or on USB STICK?

We know minimum requirements about recording on SD CARD (it must be class 10), but we do not have idea about minimum recording on HARD DISK or US STICK.

Thanks very much

+1

That would be useful information

From the website you provided regarding the hard drive, this appears to be a USB-powered external hard drive ("USB plug 'n' play (no additional power required)").  The M20d specifications indicate that the hard drive needs to be powered externally, not by the USB port.  I'm guessing that could be the problem...

From the M20d support documents: (http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2740)

"One of the benefits of the StageScape M20d mixer is its ability to make high quality digital recordings direct to SD cards (class 10) or USB hard drives (with their own power source)..."

From the website you provided regarding the hard drive, this appears to be a USB-powered external hard drive ("USB plug 'n' play (no additional power required)").  The M20d specifications indicate that the hard drive needs to be powered externally, not by the USB port.  I'm guessing that could be the problem...

From the M20d support documents: (http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2740)

"One of the benefits of the StageScape M20d mixer is its ability to make high quality digital recordings direct to SD cards (class 10) or USB hard drives (with their own power source)..."

Hi mncanuck,

great new! thanks very much! I've read all manuals and documents about m20d, and I follow this forum every day bu I did not see this information. Great work! Thanks