Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Capture your own IRs? What are you using?

gtrnstuff

3 hours ago, gtrnstuff said:

Is there a stand-alone device or software-based solution to make IRs of my own cabs and mics?

TIA

It's called the Kemper Profiling Amp.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/profiler/overview

EDIT - sorry, that's for the whole magilla, not just cabs/mics.

Edited by rd2rk
add info

Tools to make an IR? 

1. A method to record/export the two signals that need to be compared. Any DAW can do this, and if you don't own a DAW most have a FREE version that are limited, but more than enough to handle the job. 
  2. A method to compare those two files and create the IR. Voxengo Deconvolver in DEMO mode is more than capable of this task.

Here is a basic demo of the process.... 

Cool, I'll check this video out.
The Kemper is overkill for my purposes at the moment.

I've also found Logic Pro X has a built-in convolution plug-in.

I'm still on DP 9.

I have hundreds of 3rd party IRs but I'm still looking for some that don't have excess highs compared to my mic'd rigs.
LP filter helps, but not always.

When I captured some with my Axe FX II, a few turned out good, but it's a proprietary format, only good in that box.

And fwiw, capturing IRs from real speakers isn't exactly a trivial process. Ok, well, it even kind of is, in case you got the right hardware - which includes a good mic or a few (including the knowledge to place them), a room to set things up and a neutral power amp to play back the sine sweep. Capturing and deconvolving isn't too tough, there's free tools and explanations around, in case you own Logic, Apples Impulse Response utility comes with it - so, the procedure is easy, but what most people lack of is decent mics, rooms and possibly even a decent neutral poweramp.

Anyhow, IMO there's more than enough IRs around already and with a little knowledge about the procedure, you'll be able to modify and mix them to suit your needs.

I appreciate all the comments.

I've been through hundreds of existing IRs, I have pro mics and pre amps, I record guitar for a living (for better or worse :).

I have found a few available ones that come close to what I want.

Just wanting to capture what I actually use and port it over to Helix or other devices.

I think the processes described above will work for me, as soon as I have time to chase it down.

Again, thanks. I know more now than I did when I posted.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rd2rk said:

It's called the Kemper Profiling Amp.

https://www.kemper-amps.com/profiler/overview

EDIT - sorry, that's for the whole magilla, not just cabs/mics.

Thats unless you are doing "merged" profiles. In this case the Amp profile is separated from the Cab (so you can swap them as desired).  ; )