Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Weird Problem With Hd500

rublalup

I´ll try to be as clear as possible here with my limited english... please be patient and if you have any input that can help or questions regarding this issue please post your thoughts.

My pod is a 2010 unit.

A couple of weeks back i started noticing  a weird thing on my sound. Its kind of an intermittent sound that cuts the signal. It happens on all the patches but is not always present. Please listen to the audio attached... on the first  part (od) you can listen it prety clear... i just strum a chord and the "cuts" you hear are the issue i´m talking about. It has some kind of "rhythm" ... as a delay acting weird***

It happens on headphones or in any amp. It happens in any moment but it goes away and come back... sometimes just stay there, but sometimes goes for a while and then return. Its very weird... I cant make it happen on purpose but it happens everytime i use the pod.

I have change energy outlets to see if is some kind of power problem but the thing keep happening.

Last night i was playing and I experienced the wild pitch some are talking here on the forum when changing patches... so i dont know if the issues are related or not. This issue is new to me.

Notes:

****i´ve been unable to replicate the issue if I turn off any reverb/delay effect after the mixer on the patches i use the most. Dont know if is something related to that.

****i´ve not done the last firmware update but the problem start out of nothing... i´ve change nothing on the pod so why is this thing happening now?

***i´m not 100% sure (i first atribute the problem to my tube amp!!!) but i think that it happens only after the unit its benn ON for 10-15 minutes

I´m worried is something of a hardware problem because i´m out of guaranty 

Anyone has experienced this kind of thing with the reverb/delay (assuming that is the problem) Any help/advice is welcome.

No I mean away from your home or wherever its located, and take it to another house, preferable a few blocks away.

ok... i´ll have rehearsal tomorrow and check if it happens again.

In case is what you mean what do i have to do? sell my house?  :(

• Upvote 3

No. judging from your sound file this mightn't be the cause and if it

was, you would most likely need an electrician to assess you home.

Or look into a power conditioner/filter.

After hearing this again with the stutter I would definitely do a

firmware over-write with the same version if you prefer.

But I suggest you go a higher version just in-case the

problem is unique to your current version, can always go back.

Wouldn't cost you anything or make things worse.

I hear the issue in the first part of your recording.. then I hear a pressed footswitch noise.. and the second part of your clip seems ok..

what did you change by pressing the footswitch?

I recorded this with my phone... So what you hear is me pressing the fs and changing to another bank... Is my clean tone but in that moment it didn't reproduce the error

Bad news for me.

1-I did all the update/reset/calibration

2- today I rehearse on the drummer place (far away from my place)

3- I've been able to confirm that the situation stops when I disable all the delays and reverbs of the patch

What can I do?

how long it takes to the line 6 people to answer this support tickets?

today i listen kind of an ululating, waving sound when i strum a chord... could it possible be that the power supply is malfunctioning?  

pd: pod x4? that wouldn´t be very creative!

post-600647-0-03305500-1390406952_thumb.jpg

I don't think the issue depends on the power supply..

anyway, please write about your issue also in this thread: http://line6.com/support/topic/4837-dammit-same-thing-happened-to-me/

because when I opened my ticket I told them also about the above open thread, with other people having the same problem, and so they are looking also over there to collaborate with the customers..

man i´m so worried for this... this pod is my entire rig! I hope it to be an easy fix... i´m going to update the flash again and reset and see if that helps.

well the problems dont stop. Now i´m having this akward behavior on the screen when changing banks (up and down):

i really think this thing is broke. Pretty bad quality considering the soft use and EXTREME care I have give this unit.

rublalup, I replied to your ticket. It looks like you've tried everything I suggested, and a repair is in oreder. I wish I had better news.

Chrisnich, how long have you had this problem? Do you still encounter it if you reflash your unit with stock patches (after backing up your patches, of course)?

Hope your still within your warranty term.

lol I was thinking on the off chance that this might be an incorrectly set

parameter in his FX chain causing it to sound like this. Far cry maybe.

You can confirm it does this with other presets aswell ? factory presets ?.

Is this an elaborate setup with extra units and fx externally connected to the POD ?

rublalup, I replied to your ticket. It looks like you've tried everything I suggested, and a repair is in oreder. I wish I had better news.

Chrisnich, how long have you had this problem? Do you still encounter it if you reflash your unit with stock patches (after backing up your patches, of course)?

@Line6Tony

Hey Tony!

I have re-flashed my unit a few times and encounter it from time to time. Whenever I would re-flash at first I have backed up my patches and reloaded them into the POD HD500, and still encountered the problem.

Then I re-flashed and thought maybe there was a bug in the patches I was importing, so i figured that id start from scratch (as if it was a new unit) and still from time to time I encounter the problem (just as frequent as before) then after I just put back my patches figuring it would probably be a hardware problem.

I tried to recreate and find a way to trigger the noise, retracing my steps with no luck. Seems to be a very very random act of the POD HD500. And yes it does have the latest firmware, for me this event has always happens when editing patches via USB (headphones), luckily not plugged into my 50 watt tube head!

Should I open a support ticket?

Thanks 

Extra Info:

- My unit has the latest firmware

- Never put a tone from custom tone, they are all created from me

- My USB ports are in good condition, I have a 2 year old laptop with USB 2.0 ports and USB 3.0 ports (allways use 3.0 ports, I get less latency)

- Running on windows 7 64-bit

Theres no service center in my city or anywhere near. The only service center in my country (colombia) is Bogotá at 300 miles of my home town. You have any idea of what a technic should look after according to the symptoms i described? some especial opamp/resistor/thing you could point me in order to ask a local technician to take a look of the unit?

any idea what could be? 

rublalup, I am away from the office today. Tomorrow, I will show your video to our techs and see if they have an idea of what it could be.

Chrisnich, how long ago did this start happening? Looks like you've had your unit for about two years. I have opened a ticket for you to attach your patches to so we can find if any are corrupt.

rublalup, I am away from the office today. Tomorrow, I will show your video to our techs and see if they have an idea of what it could be.

Chrisnich, how long ago did this start happening? Looks like you've had your unit for about two years. I have opened a ticket for you to attach your patches to so we can find if any are corrupt.

be aware that what appears on the vid is the least of my problems... my huge concern is that i got a "wavy" sound and that the sound cuts (as in the audio file link)

https://soundcloud.c...p/hd500-problem

last night i was able to reproduce the high pitch error if i play constantly the tap/tuner footswitch.

I also discover on my clean tone that if I press the tap the sound "waves" as i press it. This video should let you see that (even knowing that the actual sound of the switch can cover the amps reproducing the waving):

rublalup, our techs reviewed your posts, and the feel it's probably going to need the board swapped, but that is only speculation. The service center needs to examine it. In case the service center does swap the board, please have them take the secure memory chip from the old board and put it on the new one.

rublalup, our techs reviewed your posts, and the feel it's probably going to need the board swapped, but that is only speculation. The service center needs to examine it. In case the service center does swap the board, please have them take the secure memory chip from the old board and put it on the new one.

How much does the board cost?

surely you have to ask to the service center to have a precise answer..

anyway IMO, being the main board the most important part of your POD, plus the technical service cost, probably is gonna cost you too much..

if you don't want renounce to your HD, could be perhaps a better solution to buy another second hand HD500, and keep the one you have for spare parts in case you need them in future..

Thanks for your advice and interest in my case Nico.

Thats what i think. Shipping + parts + labor + shipping back = lots of $$$$$$$. Not to mention the time waiting for the parts to arrive, techs to check out, etc... Not a road I want to walk.

I know things brake. But for me this is just the outcome of a poor quality equipment. I'm really pissed off right now and maybe in the future i change my mind, but I think I'm donne with líne 6. Been a user since pod 2.0...

All i can imagine now is the bad luck Brian meme... "Buys Power Engine to amplify his pod.... His pod brakes"

Good luck to all.

Thank you Tony for opening a ticket!

I cant give you an exact date...But I remember it being awhile after buying the unit that I started experiencing this problem! Id give it 6-7 months after purchasing the POD.

• 2 weeks later...

well this thread can be closed if needed.

Not real response from line 6 other than take the unit to a service center... the unit is unusable as a modeler or even audio interface. i tried using just the fx loop return to reproduce music and the "cut" event happened that way also. However the mp3 input sounds normal and no cut happens... so its a processor thing. I add this info in case is useful for somebody else.

I just moved on and re-do my rig. Best obligated-decision ever.

Thanks all for trying to help, see you around.

• 4 months later...