Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hx effects

morhalf

9 minutes ago, morhalf said:

so i need the 4 cable method when i use distortion and want use reverb and delay with it? 

You don't NEED 4 cable method. The option is there if you want to use it just as it has always been with any type of setup. 

I have to be honest... in the thousands of pedal boards I've seen over the years, very - very rarely has anyone ever done a 4cm with them. Yet for some reason everything thinks they "need to" with these devices. I'm not saying you shouldn't do 4cm, I'm simply saying don't get hung up over it.

58 minutes ago, morhalf said:

thx. so i need the 4 cable method when i use distortion and want use reverb and delay with it? 

and connecting my multi with only 2 cables can effect my sound?

You don't even need the 4CM then.  You can easily just set up your distortion/ ODs/ Delays/ Verbs/ whatever on the HX effect how you want them, plug your guitar into it, and then the HX into the front of your amp and call it a day.  

the plus side to using the 4CM is that with it you can run your drives and stuff before your amp and delays and stuff in the loop...  That being said, some down sides are you have to have more cabling, and you have to use up blocks for the send/ return to get the 4CM working (so you would have less options).

I never really tried the 4CM with mine when I had it b/c I got the sound I wanted just running it before the amp.  

Actually you use exactly "2" more cables doing the 4cm. Thats it. And as far as having less options, yes it requires using a total "1" aux send and return (out of 4 total), and using the 1/4" output. You still have the XLR outs for your output. The reason to do this is because the front end wah & drives are where they need to be, and the delays and verbs are where they need to be in the chain (after the amp).  Being unconventional works too, but for the majority the 4cm is the norm. 

8 hours ago, spikey said:

Being unconventional works too, but for the majority the 4cm is the norm. 

I rarely see 4cm being used. I see it talked about on the forums ad nauseam... but in the wild it is used in about 1 in every 20 - 30 setups I see.... and the 20 - 30 setups that don't use it sill sound fine. (by setups I am talking about any/all style of pedal boards... not the HX Effects or Helix in particular)

I'm not against 4cm at all and I agree that it provides the optimum options, I just wish people wouldn't get so hung up on it.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:49 PM, spikey said:

Actually you use exactly "2" more cables doing the 4cm. Thats it. And as far as having less options, yes it requires using a total "1" aux send and return (out of 4 total), and using the 1/4" output. You still have the XLR outs for your output. The reason to do this is because the front end wah & drives are where they need to be, and the delays and verbs are where they need to be in the chain (after the amp).  Being unconventional works too, but for the majority the 4cm is the norm. 

OP stated he is using the HX Effects.  This does not have XLR outs, just the 1/4".