Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

"Direct Link" to Helix hardware

SaschaFranck

Hi,

Not sure whether this is the best place to post as it relates to both Helix Native and the hardware units.

Anyway, during the last days I was having a true blast recording guitars using the Helix (Floor) as an interface. And I was even more enjoying that the patches are largely compatible. As a result I was just recording the DI guitar output and slapping Native onto that track (note: I can't play directly through Native as the latency is not too much fun to deal with, I'm using Native under Logic at 64 samples buffersize).

Now, the thing getting in the way was, whenever I changed something on the patch (through HX Edit or the Floor), I would have to resave the patch, export it to the computer and import it into Native to really get the same results.

So I thought about whether it wouldn't be possible to come up with a "direct link" mode. Assuming the IRs loaded into Floor/Native are identical, this should theoretically be possible. As a result, whenever you tweak something on your hardware, the changes would be reflected in the plugin. Obviously, this would as well work vice versa (and possibly make HX Edit redundant in at least some cases - less window switching and what not). For me, that'd be just fantastic. There's a few things that would have to be sorted (obviously, only one plugin instance at a time could be "live linked", the IR issue would have to be adressed and you might want to be able to easily record controller/automation movements as well, etc.), but as the two are now sharing the same code base, shouldn't that be possible?

Ok, back up and running (phew...).  So, preset drag and drop works fine - but you need to save things first to also have your edits transfered. Very useful, though.
Still, what I was suggesting would likely be way more powerful as you could tweak parameters on either Native or the hardware. And you would never have to leave your DAW.