Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X can't be detected with Catalina (mac)

ToggyB

Since downloading the latest mac software (catalina) and installing the relevant software updates from Line6 to work with catalina, I keep getting the 'unable to detect pod, it will run offline'

Any help would be much appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

i guess the next question is.... were you signed up to receive updates from L6? 

Dear Line 6 Product Owner, 

As you may be aware, Apple ® recently released macOS ® Catalina. 

Although we are working closely with Apple to ensure our software and drivers are fully compatible with macOS Catalina, we caution you against upgrading until you confirm that your specific Line 6 product is compatible with the new operating system. 

The latest information on macOS Catalina compatibility with Line 6 products may be found on our Knowledge Base. 

Thanks, 

The Line 6 Development Team

Copied and pasted from here: macOS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility (where all the things that currently should work and not with Catalina are listed).

Mac users,

You may have received an email about the issues that upgrading to Catalina can present. We've posted an article about Catalina. We will update it as we have news to report. If you've updated already and you're having trouble with the software that we list in the article as working, it's likely you have a 32-bit version of those programs installed. Please uninstall them and then download the latest version of them, which will be 64-bit.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

well, saying that it isn't compatible is fairly strong language. 

it isn't working today. that doesn't mean it won't work tomorrow.  

also, it could be other things causing the issue. 

For example, you didn't say that you had it up and working prior to this... case in point, the thread created right before yours was from someone who just bought the unit and never had it working in the first place. 

but, also, the unit still works. It's not like it broke. It just isn't communicating with your new apple product at the moment. 

I mean, I feel your pain. I would die if my L6 devices stopped working on my windows devices. i literally blank out the unit with my "new tone" bundle, and install individual patches every time i go on stage based on that night's performance. 

19 minutes ago, ToggyB said:

Where do I find the 64bit version of podhd500x edit??

I'm pulling my hair out here!!!

I'm sorry, I just tried to look for it, but I also can not find it..
I don't understand why Line6 gives incomplete or erroneous instructions

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 3 weeks later...

I also upgraded to Catalina last week on my MacBook Pro. Sadly I forgot about the disappearance of support for Line 6 32-bit software with the new OS, so I lost the ability to use Line 6 Monkey,  as well as Line 6 Edit / Gearbox (with my Pod XT Live) and Workbench (with my Variax 500). Dang!!! I did look into ways of reverting to the previous Mac OS but it was a major exercise, so decided to swallow the pill and fall-back to using my old Win10 laptop & old MacBook to run the software which is no longer supported in Catalina.

From a Pod HD500 perspective, I've had a brand new boxed unit sat in my attic since Line 6 had their fire sale when they introduced the 500X (around 2013-14), so decided to unwrap it to see if it would play nicely with Catalina. My excitement was immediately extinguished, as the unused unit wouldn't even get past the notorious "Update Flash" screen when powering up, so I had to use my old Win10 laptop to try to resolve by updating the flash memory. It was a long night but here are the steps that I tried ....

1. Updated all of the Audio/USB drivers (V7.68) , USB firmware (V1.04) and Flash memory (V2.62) via L6 Monkey .... Not fixed!
  2. Tried pressing left rocker switch to factory reset ... Not fixed!
  3. Tried pressing right rocker switch to access test screen ... Not fixed!
  4. Tried reverting to older Flash memory firmware ... Not fixed!
  5. Repeated steps 1-4 using different USB cables and via different USB ports with different power settings ... Not fixed!
  6. Repeated steps 1-5 on an old MacBook ... Not fixed!
  7. Was about to give up at 1am this morning, assuming a bricked unit, but tried hitting the ENTER button at power-up .... miraculously the HD500 booted up with preset 1 displayed!! I have no idea why this method worked and I could not see any mention of it on the Line 6 forum pages. Maybe this will help other users?

Once I had confirmed that the unit was working with a guitar & headphones I rebooted into the test screen and ran through the Pedal Calibration, Button checks, etc. All OK.

After this the unit would consistently power-up without having to hit ENTER. All buttons and expression pedal functions seemed OK so I was confident to try to get the unit hooked up to the POD HD500 Edit software.

• Win10 Laptop:
    • Installed POD HD500 Edit (V2.27) and opened the program.
    • Plugged in HD500 running USB firmware (V1.04) and Flash memory (V2.62).
      • HD500 hardware was detected and presets automatically loaded to Editor program.
      • Able to load/edit/save & control preset patches via the editor or via the HD500.
  • Catalina Macbook Pro:
    • Installed POD HD500 Edit (V2.27) and opened the program.
      • Catalina did not flag the software as 'unsupported' (signified by a white 'no entry' overlay on the app icon, then a pop-up message when opening the app) so I'm assuming that it must be a native 64-bit app.
    • Plugged in the USB connection from the newly checked & calibrated HD500 running USB firmware (V1.04) and Flash memory (V2.62).
      • HD500 hardware was not detected, hence presets did not load. Software reverted to 'offline' mode. Closed the program.
    • Downloaded and installed the latest Line 6 Audio/USB drivers (V7.68) - Line 6 Audio-Midi Driver 7.6.8.dmg
      • Rebooted the MacBook as per install instructions.
    • Opened POD HD500 Edit program then plugged in the HD500 USB cable.
      • HD500 hardware was detected and presets automatically loaded to Editor program.
      • Able to load/edit/save & control preset patches via the editor or via the HD500.
      • Screenshot (attached) shows preset patch 01B loaded.

I guess the key step for me to get my HD500 hardware working with the HD500 Edit app on Catalina was to install the latest drivers and reboot.

I'm assuming that the same approach should/might work for either HD500/500X hardware.

Hope this helps folks.

Cheers, Steve

Screenshot 2019-10-31 at 13.57.25.png

Edited by r28632
Caveat for HD500/500X
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

I saw your post while trying to fix a similar problem. This worked for me:

After I installed all the latest upgrades to the drivers and the editor, I restarted the system then followed these steps.

1. Open System Preferences in OS X Catalina

2. Select "Security and Privacy"

3. Select the "General" tab

4. Look at the bottom for an alert about system software prevented from loading

5. Select to allow software from Line 6

6. Open POD HD500 Editor

7. Connect the POD to the USB

Done!

I hope this helps!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
El 11/9/2019 a las 22:21, psotelo dijo:

Vi tu publicación mientras intentaba resolver un problema similar. Esto funcionó para mí:

Después de instalar todas las últimas actualizaciones de los autores y el editor, reiniciar el sistema y luego seguir estos pasos.

1. Abra las preferencias del sistema en OS X Catalina

2. Seleccione "Seguridad y privacidad"

3. Seleccione la etiqueta "General"

4. Busque en la parte inferior una alerta sobre el software del sistema que no se puede cargar.

5. Seleccione para permitir el software de la línea 6

6. Abra el editor POD HD500

7. Conecte el POD al USB

¡Hecho!

¡Espero que esto ayude!

a mi no me aparece esa opcion

porfa necesito ayuda

mi correo es ervinlopez06@hotmail.com

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I can't get the POD HD500X Edit to run on Mac OS Catalina (10.15.2). This is a brand new MacBook Pro 16 that I just bought so I installed everything fresh - the latest drivers (Version 7.6.8) and the latest POD HD500X Edit (2.27). I also allowed all apps to be run on my computer from Security and Privacy - so nothing is blocking Line 6 software.

Did anyone get the HD500X to run or not? I see that a lot of people talk about the HD500 but not the X.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Alex

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your answer, but it doesn't work on my Mac. This is what I have installed:

- Mac OS Catalina - 10.15.2

- Line 6 drivers - v 7.6.8

- POD HD500X Edit - v 2.27

Again, this was as clean of an install as you can get since I literally just bought the Mac 2 weeks ago.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

Super glad I just bought this HD500X and I can't install any drivers/firmware/patches to it through the only computer I have without downgrading my OS. Time to return it I guess...I hope you're listening Line 6. Looks like this 32bit incompatibility issue has been around for quite awhile yet no updates or timeline from you??

35 minutes ago, jasonpetty said:

Super glad I just bought this HD500X and I can't install any drivers/firmware/patches to it through the only computer I have without downgrading my OS. Time to return it I guess...I hope you're listening Line 6. Looks like this 32bit incompatibility issue has been around for quite awhile yet no updates or timeline from you??

This forum is frequented/read only by users/customers, if you want to be heard by Line6 open a support ticket or call them on the phone..

--> https://line6.com/support/tickets/

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

On 1/20/2020 at 5:05 PM, hurghanico said:

This forum is frequented/read only by users/customers, if you want to be heard by Line6 open a support ticket or call them on the phone..

--> https://line6.com/support/tickets/

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

I did...haven't heard from Line 6 on that either.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2019 at 5:30 AM, achitea said:

Hi all,

I can't get the POD HD500X Edit to run on Mac OS Catalina (10.15.2). This is a brand new MacBook Pro 16 that I just bought so I installed everything fresh - the latest drivers (Version 7.6.8) and the latest POD HD500X Edit (2.27). I also allowed all apps to be run on my computer from Security and Privacy - so nothing is blocking Line 6 software.

Did anyone get the HD500X to run or not? I see that a lot of people talk about the HD500 but not the X.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Alex

I had the same issue.  I went to System Preferences, and down the bottom of the screen there was an icon for Line 6 Audio/Midi devices. I clicked on that and then plugged in my POD HD500 and it appeared on the screen with settings for latency etc.  I then booted up the HD500 edit software and it worked, transferred all settings etc.  Happy camper

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/9/2019 at 11:21 PM, psotelo said:

I saw your post while trying to fix a similar problem. This worked for me:

After I installed all the latest upgrades to the drivers and the editor, I restarted the system then followed these steps.

1. Open System Preferences in OS X Catalina

2. Select "Security and Privacy"

3. Select the "General" tab

4. Look at the bottom for an alert about system software prevented from loading

5. Select to allow software from Line 6

6. Open POD HD500 Editor

7. Connect the POD to the USB

Done!

I hope this helps!

Thank you So So Much. This is all i had to do after reinstalling new drivers and pod edit. 

, running on Catalina

Aug, 4th 2021.