Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wah/Volume consistent throughout Snapshots?

SaschaFranck

Ok, what's the recommended setting to get a Wah/Volume functionality from EXP1/2 throughout snapshots without the snapshots altering things? I seem to have tried everything:

- Set global Snapshot Edits to "Discard" and "Recall".

- Set global EXP position preferences to "global", "preset", "snapshot".
- Set the wah block to Snapshot Bypass on/off.
- Saved after each Snapshot edit.

- Exchanged EXP 1 and 2.

So, what's the secret sauce to get this going?

How are you seeing snapshot alter things, exactly? The state of the on-board pedal (whether it's acting as EXP1 or EXP2) is recalled with snapshots, so maybe that's what's tripping you up? If you have it so the the bypass controller for both the Wah and Volume is set to the Toe Switch, then it should be pretty straightforward. If Volume is active and you click the toe switch, the Volume block will be bypassed and the Wah will be activated. If you switch snapshots in this state, things will go back to how the snapshot was saved (assuming you have Snapshot Bypass turned  on for these blocks - turning it off could easily cause a misalignment between which EXP is active and which block is turned on). I also think keeping the Snapshot Edits parameter set to Discard is going to be easier. As far the EXP Position parameters, you probably want that set to Per Preset or Global, not Per Snapshot.

• Like 1

I have tried all that. Right now, there is *no* way to keep the setting of any Wah/Vol switching consistent when using snapshots, regardless of the global settings and/or the "Snapshot Bypass" settings of the wah block. You can try it for yourself. Just set up 4 snapshots and do the Wah/Vol thing. Switch snapshots and the toe switch either way, leaving the wah on before you switch snapshots and leaving it off. Doesn't work the way I'd like it to work - as in it working as a global Wah/Vol pedal with the status remaining the same all throughout.

In case I'm wrong, pretty please post a patch along with what has to be set in the global menu.

Fwiw, I have just been discussing the issue on the phone with a long time Helix expert - he didn't find a sufficient solution, either, others than using a separate on/off switch for Wah/Vol and controlling both through the same EXP (1 or 2). Depending on the pedal position, this may however cause a volume jump once you switch from wah to volume.

Personally, I will keep my global Snapshot Edits settings at "Discard", keep "Snapshot Bypass" active for the Wah and save it as "off" for each snapshot. Will then require a new toe switch each time I switch snapshots and want to keep the wah active, but in the end I may even find it useful here and there, such as when switching from a wah clean to a wah-less riff sound. Not what I expected things to be like but should be a decent way for the time being (I hope this will get adressed somewhen in the future).

7 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

I have tried all that. Right now, there is *no* way to keep the setting of any Wah/Vol switching consistent when using snapshots, regardless of the global settings and/or the "Snapshot Bypass" settings of the wah block. You can try it for yourself. Just set up 4 snapshots and do the Wah/Vol thing. Switch snapshots and the toe switch either way, leaving the wah on before you switch snapshots and leaving it off. Doesn't work the way I'd like it to work - as in it working as a global Wah/Vol pedal with the status remaining the same all throughout.

In case I'm wrong, pretty please post a patch along with what has to be set in the global menu.

I can mess around with it later, but the whole reason they added the functionality of the EXP1/EXP2 state of the on-board being recalled with snapshots was for the very things you're talking about. As long as the bypass states and EXP states are lined up when the snapshots are saved, it should work fine.

I should add that personally, I don't think I'd want to ever load a snapshot and have the Wah block turned on. I'd always want to turn the wah on with the toe switch. So all of my snapshots would be saved with the Wah block off and the Volume block on, with the pedal set to EXP2 (assuming EXP2 is controlling the Volume block).

Well, I'm just used to hardware Wah/Volume pedals and thought I could treat the Helix pedal 100% the same. Apparently not so. But then, as said, I may even learn to enjoy it. Would perhaps be interesting to elaborate how often the Helix behaviour would result in a "wasted" toe switch vs. a saved toe switch.