Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Midi commands

jasonmelani

Not really. If you assign the Preset Down and Preset Up functions to FS4 and FS5 in the Global Settings menu, you can use CC52 and CC53 to emulate those switches and perform those functions. But that would only really be useful if you're not using the external footswitches for anything else.

2 hours ago, jasonmelani said:

Thanks phil, I am using a morningstar MC6 to control perimeters.  I will try these midi cc messages. 

This should be an easy fix for Line 6 to do.  But what do I know?

That was one of my disappointments with the Stomp too in the midi realm. It seemed like it would be wise to have a preset advance or back off command. 

Still, with the Morningstar, you have SO many control options that I don't think having the controller emulate FS4 and FS5 is a big deal.  The only thing you'd be missing out on is the expression pedal option, but you could leave that to the Morningstar too. 

Still, another option that I liked even better was having the Morningstar have a button set to cycle stomp modes. From there you can use the Stomp itself, while in "preset" mode to move up or down presets, and in my opinion, it's very easy to do. 

Having a MIDI controller scroll through presets sequentially seems to not necessarily be the most natural way to use a MIDI controller. The whole idea is that you have presets saved on the controller itself and the controller sends out whatever PC it needs to when you bring up that preset. Now I guess it's a little bit different with the Stomp because people are using MIDI controllers to do a bunch of different things.

Morningstar MC6 has PC Scroll Up and PC Scroll Down. You can set a range which allows you to scroll through a subset of presets. One way you might use the commands is to use ‘Press’ to scroll up and ‘Long Press’ to scroll down, both on the same button/switch. 

Using CCs 52 & 53 to emulate FS4 & FS5 does preclude using external footswitches, you can still use the port for external expression pedals. 

The MIDI capabilities of the Stomp are sadly lacking compared to all of the other Helix devices.  I returned mine after I found that it didn't include the MIDI Command Center features.

Update (a year later): I bought another one after Line 6 add the MIDI Command Center features upon my request. I convinced them it would be good for their profit margin. ;-)

• 5 months later...

YES!  There is a MIDI command to scroll up and down through the presets.  Or rather, 3 commands.

For preset scroll up:

Msg 1 Press CC71:1

Msg 2 Press CC50:127

Msg 3 Press CC71:0

For preset scroll Down:

Msg 1 Press CC71:1

Msg 2 Press CC49:127

Msg 3 Press CC71:0

Now I just need a CC command to switch what's viewed on the screen....

One thing I found out was that for the first 30 presets, the PC# which is automatically sent out by the Stomp every time you change a preset will change the bank on you.  To fix it, I turned off PC#tx in the Stomp and it works fine.  I could also disconnect the cable from the Stomp Out to the MC6 in.  I imagine someday that having the MC6 respond to a preset change might be useful, but I don't know if the MC6 is capable of if/then statement programming, etc.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

If I understand well is possibile midi command to scroll preset , but display Viewer don’t change automatically?
Other question by midi foto controller is possibile on/off effects blocks in chain in stomp mode?

• 2 months later...

After digging a bit trying to connect my software with the pedal for communication, I realised that this is documented in the manual.

It's  all on pages 48/49 (HX Stomp manual and not HX edit!). And to go straight to a preset, we don't use the CC, we use PC (program change). The number for each panel is shown in the stomp display under Preset List. It's great to be able to control the pedal through any MIDI software!  :)

• 1 year later...

@FlyingsCool thanks for your help but I've tried what you said and it doesn't work ! :( I'm using a MC6 with my HX Stomp and I'm looking for the MIDI parameters that can make preset up or down at any moment on my HX Stomp using MC6 ! Do you know what is the solution ?

Thanks for your help !