Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

acoustic guitar amplifier with Helix

ezut

I tried going this route several years ago and was surprised how poorly acoustic guitar amps worked.

There are some good-to-great deals on used L2 and L3 stage source powered speakers out there - you will be much happier with a FRFR solution.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ezut said:
Now I have the opportunity to buy a Laney 80W acoustic guitar amplifier for a good price on the Helix LT.
Has anyone used one like this? Will it be good together or forget?

What defines a "good" price? $50 . . . hell, sure. $300? Ummm . . . you're better off going FRFR like is said above.

I had a pretty wonderful acoustic amp. One day when I had nothing else available for amplification, and a bit curious, I decided to see if I could make it sing as an FRFR for the HX Stomp.

It actually did much better than I expected. My conclusion was this can work as a budget option depending on how good the acoustic amp is, but if a Helix player had $300 for a FRFR or an acoustic you'd be nuts to get the acoustic.

I have a Schertler small acoustic amp (Giulia Y). Sometimes I connect the Helix LT output jack to the return of the amp effects loop, and use its power amp as an almost "flat" amp which sounds a bit warmer than a monitor (I have and often use a JBL LSR305 as monitor). It does sound good at home and I like it perhaps better than a monitor for noodling around (but I have not tried it at gig volume). However, I would not buy the amp for this purpose if I did not have one yet - I would buy an FRFR speaker. If you do play acoustic guitar, using the Helix before the acoustic amp for effects would sound good.

I have an older Acoustic Image Corus. This is supposed to be a high end acoustic amp. I'm not keen on how Helix sounds through it (using the effects return). It may have something to do with the particular design of this amp, but I suspect it may also have to do with the points made above. That being said, I haven't compared the sound to an FRFR, so I don't have the full picture.

Not sure if this is relevant....but wow wha weewow are the 3sigma audio acoustic ir’s good.  Sound great through headphones and my studio monitors.  Will try it live in a few days.  

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com

• 1 month later...

I have been using a Fishman Loudbox 100 acoustic amp for a couple of years with my Helix. I feed the effects return and use the helix amps and cabs in my presets. I find that it sounds pretty good when dialed in properly. I am thinking about buying some good quality FRFR speakers like Neumann KH120A or Focus Shape 50's, I just hope that I notice a difference when I do.

• Like 1

If it’s really a good bargain and has an effects return you could probably make it work. But it has to be really cheap.  The Roland AC series are nice because you can run the Helix in stereo - all in one box! It won’t be very loud though.