ezut

acoustic guitar amplifier with Helix

Now I have the opportunity to buy a Laney 80W acoustic guitar amplifier for a good price on the Helix LT.
Has anyone used one like this? Will it be good together or forget?

IMO... many acoustic amps have pre-built "scoops" and "notches" in the EQ that I would avoid. I would lean toward a budget FRFR before going that route.... unless it's an incredible bargain so you can recoup your money if you don't like it. 

• Like 1

So is frfr even better to double it?

21 minutes ago, ezut said:
So is frfr even better to double it?

What do you mean by "double it"? If you mean cost.... you can get an Alto or Headrush for $300 or less. IMO... either is a better choice than an acoustic amp.

I tried going this route several years ago and was surprised how poorly acoustic guitar amps worked.

There are some good-to-great deals on used L2 and L3 stage source powered speakers out there - you will be much happier with a FRFR solution.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ezut said:
Now I have the opportunity to buy a Laney 80W acoustic guitar amplifier for a good price on the Helix LT.
Has anyone used one like this? Will it be good together or forget?

What defines a "good" price? $50 . . . hell, sure. $300? Ummm . . . you're better off going FRFR like is said above.

I had a pretty wonderful acoustic amp. One day when I had nothing else available for amplification, and a bit curious, I decided to see if I could make it sing as an FRFR for the HX Stomp.

It actually did much better than I expected. My conclusion was this can work as a budget option depending on how good the acoustic amp is, but if a Helix player had $300 for a FRFR or an acoustic you'd be nuts to get the acoustic.

$ 150 would be the acoustic amplifier. But, okay, I won't try it. I'll collect for ALTO.

I have a Schertler small acoustic amp (Giulia Y). Sometimes I connect the Helix LT output jack to the return of the amp effects loop, and use its power amp as an almost "flat" amp which sounds a bit warmer than a monitor (I have and often use a JBL LSR305 as monitor). It does sound good at home and I like it perhaps better than a monitor for noodling around (but I have not tried it at gig volume). However, I would not buy the amp for this purpose if I did not have one yet - I would buy an FRFR speaker. If you do play acoustic guitar, using the Helix before the acoustic amp for effects would sound good.

I have an older Acoustic Image Corus. This is supposed to be a high end acoustic amp. I'm not keen on how Helix sounds through it (using the effects return). It may have something to do with the particular design of this amp, but I suspect it may also have to do with the points made above. That being said, I haven't compared the sound to an FRFR, so I don't have the full picture.

IMO that amp would only make sense in case you'd actually use it as a standalone acoustic guitar amp here and there as well. Otherwise, I'm with the others in this thread, go for whatever more or less decent FRFR monitor.

I have used a Roland AC90 with Helix for rehearsals and jams. It sounds reasonable and is pretty convenient. But Its too small to use for most gigs, at least those that have a drummer.

Not sure if this is relevant....but wow wha weewow are the 3sigma audio acoustic ir’s good.  Sound great through headphones and my studio monitors.  Will try it live in a few days.  

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com