Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using Helix lt as interface.

r_destro12

Don't worry, this isn't me asking if I can use it as an interface. I know I can and it's better than the 200$ focusrite or presonus I can afford (it was like 1300$ for helix and headrush frfr 108). I was wondering what else I need to use it as an interface. I have a razer laptop with an i7 and gtx 1070 and klipsch pro media 2.1 thx but I was wondering if I should invest in studio monitors and what else would be a good investment for my rig and studio.

If you're recording, get studio monitors. Search for FRFR and you'll get lots of recommendations, but most name brand monitors 5" and over should be fine. Your Klipsch stuff is excellent for media playback, but accurate mixing requires a more flat response than they're likely to provide. That said, unless you're SERIOUS about recording, Kiipsch will be fine. My office rig is a Stomp through a 6", 3-way Sony bookshelf system. Sounds fine (for the office).

The FRFR108 is said to be very good. I have the FRFR112, which is fine, though I'm much happier since I got my Eganator Tweaker 15 Combo. Not that I buy into the "tubes are the holy grail" thing, I just prefer the sound of Helix through a guitar cab.

Assuming you're on Windows10, my DAW recommendation is Reaper (also works on MAC). Cheap (free unlimited trial, $60 if you like it and are honest), full featured, great routing, and you can always spend more money later on something else. One of the things I like about Reaper is that when I want to go all electronic, I use an APCmini grid controller ($99) with the free version of Ableton Live 10 routed into Reaper via Rearoute. Best of both worlds for super cheap. 

Last thing - google PC Audio Optimization. Follow the directions to optimize your PC for use with a DAW. That'll go a long way toward preventing your coming back here asking "how come my system glitches, must be Helix sucks". :-)

Oh, yeah. DO NOT plug the USB from the Helix into a USB Hub!

On 10/17/2019 at 1:45 PM, r_destro12 said:

I was wondering what else I need to use it as an interface. I have a razer laptop with an i7 and gtx 1070 and klipsch pro media 2.1 thx but I was wondering if I should invest in studio monitors and what else would be a good investment for my rig and studio.

Yes - you should get a nice set of monitors. I'm not a fan of 5" monitors but many others have great success with them. I prefer 6.5" or bigger for speaker size. Yamaha HS7's or HS8's are worth every penny... but there are other great options as well. 

If you plan on using a microphone for any recording the LT lacks an XLR input.... so you may want to invest in a small mic pre. If it's all new to you there is no need to spend too much at this time, just a little "ART Tube MP" or similar would give you enough options to work with. I would plug that into a RETURN and utilize it when needed.