Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hx and 4CM: amps fx loop is line level...correct setting...?

rudomat

hi,

my amps fx loop has got line level...when i set the hx send/return level to instrument level, what i have to do to be able to run it into the amps front input, the send from my amp will send line level into the hx return...isn´t it...???? 

why can´t we have extra send level and return level here...? i can´t see any chance to set the levels right for 4CM here...any hints...??

thanks!

Instrument level and Line line are just that - levels (volume). There is enough control of volumes in the SEND/RETURN settings to compensate anything "Instrument/Line" are doing. 

1. Set your SEND/RETURN 1 to LINE level
  2. Insert an FX Loop Block
  3. Turn down the "SEND Level" so it hits your amp like it would if it were instrument level. Start around -9db... adjust as needed. 

• Upvote 1

One nice thing about the HX is that the FX blocks have their own volume controls which can allow you to subtly tweak things if the levels aren't quite right. 

My advice would be to start setting the HX's output l/mono to "line" level. Leave everything else at instrument. If you don't like what you hear, then go in and set the HX send/returns to line. 

Try that first. If it still doesn't work, well, come back and say what the problem was and we can experiment some more. 

Edit: Just saw codamedia's advice above which I think is more explanation on the same thing I was saying too. Use a combination of these tools. It might take some adjusting, but you'll get there. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2019 at 5:52 PM, codamedia said:

Instrument level and Line line are just that - levels (volume). There is enough control of volumes in the SEND/RETURN settings to compensate anything "Instrument/Line" are doing. 

1. Set your SEND/RETURN 1 to LINE level
  2. Insert an FX Loop Block
  3. Turn down the "SEND Level" so it hits your amp like it would if it were instrument level. Start around -9db... adjust as needed. 

that´s a nice idea, but it doesn´t work that way...the level adjustments are totally digital and after the analog input...that means, if it distorts, you´d only make the already distorted signal lower...;-(

10 hours ago, rudomat said:

that´s a nice idea, but it doesn´t work that way...the level adjustments are totally digital and after the analog input...that means, if it distorts, you´d only make the already distorted signal lower...;-(

Are you sure you understand what codamedia is saying? He's referring to the level adjuster on the FX block.  If you set the Stomp's "left send" to line level, and you discover that that's too high, you can then use the FX block in the signal path to reduce the volume of the left send, essentially bringing it down to instrument level.

The HX line has tons of level options within a signal chain for balancing all of this crap out. 

It's been a while since you got the feedback above, what happened when you experimented?  Did it work? 

12 hours ago, rudomat said:

that´s a nice idea, but it doesn´t work that way...

Yes it does work that way :) 

If the HX LOOP is set to LINE level then the output of the SEND to the INPUT of your amp will likely be too hot at it's default settings. Simple, just turn down the send level in the HX so it better matches the input of your amp.