Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No Mod Locking Tuners for Vax Standard

wcmexbm

3 hours ago, wcmexbm said:

What brand/ type locking tuners that require no drilling would work with the Variax Standard?

Looking at these Hip-Shot Grip-Locks, suitable?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABLI0IC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2BFSBLSC4DZ2&psc=1

There are several things to consider:

1) The diameter of the hole that the tuner sits in.

2) The position of the mounting screw on the back of the headstock.

3) Some tuners have a small post that protrudes from underneath which serves as an anchor, in lieu of a mounting screw...some older Sperzel tuners had these. This would require drilling a small hole to accommodate the post. This is less likely to be the case though, as the ones you picked clearly have a mounting screw.

#2 is often a problem. Even if they otherwise fit, the position of the mounting screws is not universal... they can be anywhere. You'd have to see if the ones you want have that mounting screw in the same position as the stock ones...if the stock ones have them at all. If not, you'll be drilling and/or filling holes.

• 5 months later...

I bought a set of AllParts locking tuners (Part No. TK-7591-010) for $35 online. They fit like a glove, swap out in minutes, and are working nicely. I used the original washers from the Variax because I like the bevel on them better than the ones provided. Sure, there are better locking tuners out there, but these are a nice match for my Standard.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for those that posted parts that work. I've been thinking about putting locking tuners on my Variax standard and like the auto-trim feature of the Planet Waves version, but am not sure if I would need to modify the hole diameter. Also for those of you using the locking tuners, have you had issues with the high E and B strings slipping out? I use .09 gauge and have a set of Billy Gibbons .07 I want to try but I've read that the lighter gauges can slip through some brands unless they are double-looped through the tuner.