Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Native Demo constantly freezing Logic Pro.

SaschaFranck

Installed 1.81 first (official demo download, only the full download - which you can use for the demo, too - is at 1.82. Worked properly for 1-2 days, then it started freezing. Downloaded 1.82 to see whether it'd adress the issue. Worked fine for 1-2 days, now it's freezing Logic again. Whether I try to open an existing instance or start from scratch doesn't matter - beachball, have to force quit Logic.

It clearly has to do with the demo being forced to be online, because in case I disconnect my ethernet cable, it works (at least the UI with all the information about it not being able to connect the server pops up).

Two things:

1) I think this is a pretty bad way to present a demo. There's still several basement studios without online connection over here. Even worse if the reason for the demo to freeze Logic (and Garageband as well) is because it can't properly connect to the Line6 server. If you want people to like a demo coming with such a massive restriction already, you should at least make sure there's no server issues.

2) I hope the full version, once authorized, will never call home.

Fwiw, I'm running it on a 2010 Mac Pro under High Sierra.

This forum of full of other folks with the same problem. I understand companies trying to devise copy protection schemes when pirating is so common, but  in this case Line 6 obviously did a bad job. So, for you #1 comment, I and many others totally agree. And, for #2, (in my experience) after you authorize the plug-in, it the darned thing stops calling home.

On 10/19/2019 at 5:40 PM, soundog said:

And, for #2, (in my experience) after you authorize the plug-in, it the darned thing stops calling home.

Ok, that's at least good to know.

Line6 is really not doing themselves much of a favour. I mean, for non-HX-hardware users not getting any discount, this is among the more expensive lines of guitar amp sims and a demo should rather run flawlessly. And unlike myself, I bet most folks running into the spinning beachball or hourglass won't give it much further tries. I really love fully functional demos, but I'd rather take something save-disabled or whatever than something freezing my projects. Apart from that, I only knew about a possible solution because I've already heard about the "requires to be online" restriction of the demo before. Many people may not realize that and they may as well not even try to get as far as to cut their internet connection temporarily to "fix" HX Native. "Normal" users will just be like "Oh, the thing is constantly freezing my sequencer, byebye Line 6, Positive Grid (or whomever) here I come".

Which is a shame, as the thing is really great (not sure I'd pay 400 bucks, though, most people will only need around 5-10 amp models and you can get those for a lot cheaper). But with the demo acting up like this, I could even imagine some hardware users won't purchase it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soundog said:

Also check out other virtual amps: S-Gear (for blues, rock, traditional, indie, etc) or Neural DSP stuff for metal.

I've checked pretty much all of them and loved S-Gear quite a bit (I also own Bias FX) - but I think HX Native is pretty much on par with the best of them.

Anyway, regardless of the quality, the combination of my Helix Floor and Native is going to be a game changer in the way I'm dealing with guitar recordings - and there's nothing else offering that level of integration by far. I absolutely applaud Line 6 for this most excellent idea.

2 hours ago, vvkv said:

The same issue here, 1-2 days and freezing in logic.

Very poorly programmed piece of software. 

The fix is: Disable your internet connection, open up the HX/N demo, reconnect to the net, enter Line 6 account details.

Quite obviously, this shouldn't be required at all, though.

Time to purchase tomorrow anyway, I really hope that this won't happen anymore then.

• Upvote 1

Fwiw, authorized HX/Native and it seems as if the issues are gone. Didn't expect anything different, but at least that's something.

Still, the demo behaviour isn't what things should be like at all. And it doesn't seem to be a recent issue but an ongoing one. IMO this should be adressed - even if it was just in the interest of Line 6. I mean, a demo freezing projects isn't good publicity.