Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

High pitch feedback sound coming when Im recording with Helix while having USB plugged in

danplants24

I just recently purchased a Helix LT. Im running it into my MacBook pro recording with Logic Pro X 10.4.6 Im running the latest HELIX firmware and helix edit.

The issue is when I’m trying to record into logic, there is a high pitch feedback coming from the guitar track that I recorded with the helix. The noise is not there when I’m not recording. I have looked everywhere online and no one has a solid answer. The issue isn’t there when I unplug the helix usb from my computer. Its only a problem when I am recording while I have the helix USB plugged in.  Im using the XLR outputs to record. I keep the Helix USB connected to the macbook so I can edit the helix with the helix editor and pick different guitars out in workbench for the Varix. Having to unplug the helix USB from my computer is a huge inconvenience. Anyone having the same issue? I

I can provide a video of the issue if you would like. Thank you.

P.S. I am using a line 6 variax standard to record with. 

I have kind of the same problem.
I have always a high pitched noise when the usb is plugged in but only on the 1/4 inch and xlr outs( dont know if its on the headphone out).
But if I record something over the build in interface I have no noise.

I use a macbook pro with Logic X.
Tomorrow I can check if there is the same with a Windows PC and Cubase LE 9.5

Is your computer and audio gear all plugged into the same wall outlet or circuit?  This could be a ground loop.  I had the same problem and fixed it by getting things all on the same circuit. However, it really depends on how the USB power is designed inside your machine.  There are some devices out there that can try to isolate your USB or audio grounds.  Have you tried the ground lift switch on the Helix?

@reginaldStjohnThanks for the quick reply. So I tried the things you said, now my noise is gone on the XLR jack, but it's still on the 1/4 inch output. 
Right now I'm using an instrument cable that I think is suboptimal. Now with the working XLR it's fine for me, but it would be interesting to know if the balanced cable from Helix 1/4 inch to my interface would solve the problem.
Another thing I discovered is that if I connected the Helix to the Mac via usb, but didn't select it as an input or output device in Logic X, the noise wouldn't be there.  The moment I select the helix in Preferences>Audio>Devices (no matter if as output or input device) and click "Accept Changes", the noise appears.

• 2 years later...
On 8/19/2022 at 7:36 PM, Cactuspenii said:

I FOUND A FIX!

Helix floor

Win 10

Go to sound settings and device properties for input

Should be using line 6 DAI.

Go to additional properties and then click the listen tab.

Uncheck "listen to this device" box.

No more feedback!

Cool - good to know you fixed it. Hopefully the fix will help others.

You do realise that you commented on a thread that has been happily sleeping for 3 years.

;-)