Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider IV 75 Distortion on clean channel

xmarti

Dear All,

All my clean channels (both red and green, Clean and Twang) sound distorted, even with the Drive knob set to "0". I have tried other guitars with the same result. I have tried with another cable cord, still sounded distorted. There is no change using headphones instead of the speaker, so I assume the speaker is fine. When I roll back the guitar's volume knob and I change to single coil pick up, the sound seems to improve a little bit, but it did not happen before.

I have restored the factory settings, tried to update to the latest firmware (2.0)... and it is still the same problem going on.

Can somebody help me? Any idea? Thanks a lot.

Xmarti...I am having the same issue...on my Spider IV 150 Combo..... all my cleans aren't totally clean anymore....it happened out of the blue without changing ANYTHING ... since I have all of my presets saved to PC, i think i am going to try to do a factory restore and re-load.... I will let you know what I come up with .... 

Fflbrgst, it sounds distorted with all gain, fuzz or overdrive effects set to zero.

Shredderxrc, I did a factory reset without any kind of success. In fact, I lost the 4 presets I use the most because I thought I had them stored in my computer. Beside that, resetting the amp did not change anything. It still sounded distorted.

I brought the amp two days ago to an engineer who fixes amps and guitar electronics in my city. He told me he would probably have news about the issue in one week. I will let you know too what is going on...

Thank you guys

Try rolling back the Firmware to v1.04 program, see if that fixes it.

If that doesn't do it,...

https://line6.com/find/service_center/

... for the Line 6 authorized service center (Madrid, Granada or Barcelona).

It's might be a failed IC on the program board or the amp board. Needs to be gone over by a technician who knows the product.

Hi Guys,

Finally I got my amp back. It sounds great again! The engineer told me the problem it has been due to the poor quality of the capacitors mounted on the amp. They started to leak liquid on the circuit board and in a few months everything would have been corroded (planned obsolescence?). The engineer has removed all capacitors (even the ones that were ok by the moment) and put brand new ones (good quality ones, he told me).

It has been faster and easier (and probably even cheaper) than sending it to the Line 6 authorized service center (it is not near my city).

Shredderxrc, do not waste time and bring your amp to a service center o somebody who knows what is this about. Good luck!

Thank you for your time. Best Regards

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2019 at 10:35 PM, xmarti said:

Dear All,

All my clean channels (both red and green, Clean and Twang) sound distorted, even with the Drive knob set to "0". I have tried other guitars with the same result. I have tried with another cable cord, still sounded distorted. There is no change using headphones instead of the speaker, so I assume the speaker is fine. When I roll back the guitar's volume knob and I change to single coil pick up, the sound seems to improve a little bit, but it did not happen before.

I have restored the factory settings, tried to update to the latest firmware (2.0)... and it is still the same problem going on.

Can somebody help me? Any idea? Thanks a lot.

Hello mate,

I had the same issue as you, and the sound was awful especially when put through an external efx pedal. The way around this was to hit the Manual button...then set all smart knobs to zero. Set trebel and middle to 12 O' clock. Drive to zero. Bass and channel all the way up, then save to a bank of your choosing. I did this and dialled in "squeaky clean". It's totally clean without any accent and works well with external efx pedals. 

Give it a go.it worked for me.  Tell me how you get on. Good luck. 

CJS.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Charlinne.

Not totally different.

I play rock most of the time and enjoy a good thrash...but I also enjoy playing Beatles, Stones, and everything in-between. Dispite that, I just wanted to create a totally flat clean natural sound with no echo, twang etc that I could model or use for external pedals, or just a good 'ole lazy strum.