Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Guys who have gone from all tube amp to all digital. Opinions?

ledvedder5150

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

#3 (especially the 2x12 version) can provide anything the other 3 provide... with more options.

#4 limits you from ever taking advantage of the "full range" options. Cab modeling, mic modeling, acoustic instruments (should you use them), etc... etc... 

#1 & #2 provides full range options, but won't provide you with a traditional "amp in the room" tone without really learning how to capture/create it... which takes time.

The Laney has a setting for FRFR, 112, or 412.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ledvedder5150 said:

There are 4 solutions I'm currently leaning towards. I'd like to hear your opinions (pros/cons) of each. 

1. Headrush FRFR112

2. Laney LFR-112

3. Line 6 Powercab

4. SS power amp into my current 212 cab

1. I have one. Some days I like it.

2. If you see one in the wild, take a picture, and a recording if possible. The LED lighting sounds groovey.

3. I have a couple of things for sale on Craigslist. Maybe by Christmas.

4. I have a 112 tube combo. I take the Helix into the 6v6 power section. Some days I like it. I've also tried an EHX 44 magnum into the speaker. Sounded OK. I might try a second, closed back 112 under the Combo. I might win the lotto and move somewhere where I can crank it up enough for it to matter.

And the winner of the search for THE PERFECT MODELER SOLUTION IS..............TBA.

2 hours ago, ledvedder5150 said:

The Laney has a setting for FRFR, 112, or 412.

My apologies.... yes that is interesting. 

What I can't find for information is whether or not the horn is disabled with those settings like it is on the Powercab.

If it isn't... then it's just an FRFR with preset EQ curves. You'll get the same (but more options) with Helix Cabs or IR's into an FRFR.

On 10/24/2019 at 9:20 PM, ledvedder5150 said:

What FRFR are you using? I'm seeing mixed reviews for many different ones. 

I have a Matrix FR10: https://usa.matrixamplification.com/speakers/fr10.html

At the time, it was the cheapest / lightest option I could dig up! I can carry a guitar in case, the FR10 (with one finger) and helix in a bag over my shoulder in one trip. Its awesome. Sometimes I wish I went for the 12 for a little more headroom/perceived volume, but it can hang in a practice space with drums no problem in my experience. It went into protect on me ONCE when things got too toasty - so if its a hot summer night I point a fan at it and no issue since.

Despite that, I did have the power module replaced once under warranty, with no issues or complaints in the process. Great customer service.

Long story short: I can endorse it strongly for the sound - but with all of the options available now - I'm not sure it would be my pick if I was buying new for whatever thats worth!

On 10/24/2019 at 4:01 PM, Kilrahi said:

I think a lot of us are with you on this, but I can't dismiss the fact that there are "amp in the room" people who have tried all of these things and it still doesn't work for them. 

I have to accept, though, that I'm wired differently than a lot of those guys. For example, WHY do they need all high frequencies to ALWAYS be nerfed?  

Just because traditionally guitar cabs sucked with highs doesn't mean that once we figure out how to have them we keep them toast. I think it's just that they're used to them being toast. If we'd started out with full range speakers instead of the limited range cabs of the 50's, I have to assume we'd largely use fuller range guitar sounds in our modern era.

Yet, those frequencies often weird out old school players . . . so they get cut. I EVEN CUT THEM SO THEY DON'T lollipop ABOUT MY TONE, BUT THERE'S TIMES I THINK THEY SOUNDED BETTER THAT WAY. 

We all have our preferences on how things should sound, and I guess there's just no getting around that. I've never found an FRFR that sounded like a tube amp in the room . . . so if you can hear that difference, and you vastly prefer the tube, an FRFR just won't do it no matter how hard you try. 

Absolute valid and something I should have mentioned as well.  I find the sweet spot is between 10k and 13.5k for a low pass... I think it sounds horrific cutting as agressively as MANY people claim you MUST do to get that classic cab sound. I probably SHOULD revisit letting even more highs get by to spot check my own assumptions to date :)

I believe you're absolutely right that a lot of this is just predicated on tradition.

Its kind of like the classic cars thing... some people consider it heresy to strap EFI onto a carbureted car.  Others say its worth all the improvements in economy and performance and reliability. You can argue both ways...it ruins the classic car, or if the engineers had the capability back then, they'd certainly have done it from the factory.

It's a big old YMMV discussion in the end...but I do believe its generally more reasonable to frame it as a preference rather than fact as often happens. Hope I'm making sense at the end of this all? haha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of Tech 21 Power Engine Deuce Deluxe FRFR amps.  So far I've been very happy with them.  Deep ported cabs, tons of low end, and switchable tweeters.  And the price is right.  Surprised no one's mentioned them (unless I missed it).

19 minutes ago, plarkin said:

I have a pair of Tech 21 Power Engine Deuce Deluxe FRFR amps.  So far I've been very happy with them.  Deep ported cabs, tons of low end, and switchable tweeters.  And the price is right.  Surprised no one's mentioned them (unless I missed it).

Yep, I've been looking at those, as well as the Laney LFR-112.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:17 PM, codamedia said:

#1 & #2 provides full range options, but won't provide you with a traditional "amp in the room" tone without really learning how to capture/create it... which takes time.

I own the Laney FRFR112 and I think I should add here that it has stock filters for 1x12 and 4x12 speaker emulations.  I have played with these and they seem effective and I assume they have the same kind of effect that a power cab would have without the flexibility: if I switch off my IRs and switch on the emulation I get the kind of sound I expect, which sounds more 'amp in room'.  Sensibly the cabs also have an 'out' which carries the sound of the emulation if it is turned on.  

I'm happy with working FRFR and haven't really played around with this feature much.  Overall, as I said in another thread ".... The LFR112 is exactly what you would expect - a well made, reasonably priced guitar oriented monitor speaker with a pretty flat response and plenty of level for rehearsal.  If you want a =perfect= translation from your studio monitors to your stage monitoring solution you're going to have to spend quite a bit more so be prepared to tweak".

I haven't been able to compare it with the opposition: it may box above its weight if you need an 'amp in room' sound and you are happy with the onboard emulations when compared to a powercab.

• Like 1

If you know what your doing these days with modelers and tube gear, the only people "who can tell" are musicians ruled by their ego's and they are the very last people anyone should ever be trying to please with tone.   #biggestbitchesaround     

They base their egos and comments generally on what they see behind you too...... nothing to see hear. 

• Upvote 1