Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to use Ext2 pedal to switch amp channels? - HX Effects

revolver1010

Can someone please explain to me how the heck to use expression pedal 2 to switch amp channels?? I can switch with ext1 no problems. I can use ext2 for expression pedal control no problem. I went into global settings and set it to Amp2 and still it never changes the amp channel. If I put the cable into jack 1 however it then swtiches. When assigning a control switch I notice the option for ext amp doesn't have a 1 or 2, just says ext amp, I'm guessing this has something to do with it? I've tried assigning jack one as expression in global settings and jack two as amp control but still the channel only switches when the cable is in jack one. What do I need to do to get jack 2 to work??

Rev.

Page 36 of the manual: 

KNOB 3 - Parameter SELECT
Determines the Ext Amp connection [1 (Tip-to-sleeve), 2 (Ring-to-sleeve), or both] for switching an external amp's channel, reverb, or other functions.

Only works when "Global Settings > Preferences" > EXP 2/EXT AMP is set to "EXT AMP."*

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Only works when "Global Settings > Preferences" > EXP 2/EXT AMP is set to "EXT AMP."*

Not sure if you're familiar with the HX Effects, but I did say in my initial post, "I went into global settings and set it to Amp2".

For the HX Effects that setting is exactly that - Amp2, and I did indeed set it to Amp2. Still doesn't work.

Rev.

3 hours ago, revolver1010 said:

I can switch with ext1 no problems. I can use ext2 for expression pedal control no problem.

I guess I don't get why, if it works, you need to do it differently? No, I don't have HX Effects, I have the Floor model. But always curious about how/why people use the different models.

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

I guess I don't get why, if it works, you need to do it differently? No, I don't have HX Effects, I have the Floor model. But always curious about how/why people use the different models.

So the reason why I was testing amp switching with the second jack was because my current amp will switch from clean to the distorted channel but not back to clean with a second press. I've tried every single combination of setting (momentary/latch, tip, ring, etc). It only ever changes the channel then won't change back. When I had a Mesa Triple Rec my Boss GT-10 would change the channel from clean to distorted channel 3 and back and forth each hit. Granted, this Bugera amp has three external switching inputs and includes a clean channel input when my Mesa did not. So I was wondering if I would have to either hookup to both output jacks or use a stereo to dual mono cable to be able to switch back and forth. Of course, if I have to use both jacks then I can't deal because I need one for volume/wah, but I was testing and got curious.

Rev.

OK, so this was totally user error - ME! I didn't set the Ext Amp2 to Tip. Derp. Yeah so it switches now. Still only switches to the channel, not back when disengaged but that appears to be cause of the design of my Bugera TriRec amp's external switching jacks. I'm almost 100% certain if I take a stereo to dual mono 1/4" cable and set the Ext Amp2 to T+R and connect the mono ends to channels 1 & 3 it should switch between the two. Cause the ring will still be wired to the tip of the second mono cable yes?

The only way I've seen 3/4 channel amps switch properly from Helix is using MIDI. Direct if the amp is configured for it, or using something like the VooDoo Labs Control Switcher, which converts MIDI from Helix to TS channel switching for up to 4 channels, or 3 channels and a boost, or some other fourth function.