Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Replacement neck/trust rod/hole

Greetings all,

I am replacing the JTV-69 neck with a Warmoth neck.

The Warmoth "modern" and "vintage modern" necks have a different truss rod as well as a side adjustment access for the truss rod. Does anyone know if the non standard hole placement on the JTV will hit anything?

Has everyone who replaced necks only used their "vintage" necks?

Thank you for any insight.

You don't have to worry about the hole placement hitting anything. But, I bought two Warmoth necks with the side adjusting Gotoh box and I won't buy another. I managed to crack the one adjusting box, with very little effort, making it useless. So after that I had to remove the neck to make adjustments. The Gotoh box is made of pot metal and not very sturdy, IMO. My next Warmoth neck will have the truss rod adjustment at the headstock. 

If the rod nut access is on the body side of the neck, on a 69 with a "W" prefix in the serial number,

then you will have a problem adjusting the rod, as the pick guard will cover the rod access from that side.

It would have to be a Warmouth neck with rod nut access at the head-stock. Only the US builds of JTV-69

have the rod nut access on the body side of the neck (with a notched pick guard for access there).

5 hours ago, specracer986 said:

You don't have to worry about the hole placement hitting anything. But, I bought two Warmoth necks with the side adjusting Gotoh box and I won't buy another. I managed to crack the one adjusting box, with very little effort, making it useless. So after that I had to remove the neck to make adjustments. The Gotoh box is made of pot metal and not very sturdy, IMO. My next Warmoth neck will have the truss rod adjustment at the headstock. 

Thank you very much.

4 hours ago, psarkissian said:

If the rod nut access is on the body side of the neck, on a 69 with a "W" prefix in the serial number,

then you will have a problem adjusting the rod, as the pick guard will cover the rod access from that side.

It would have to be a Warmouth neck with rod nut access at the head-stock. Only the US builds of JTV-69

have the rod nut access on the body side of the neck (with a notched pick guard for access there).

Not sure I follow. 

21 hours ago, boogit said:

The Warmoth "modern" and "vintage modern" necks have a different truss rod as well as a side adjustment access for the truss rod.

Not quite... the "vintage modern" necks all have truss rod access at the headstock, and nowhere else. I have 4 of them, the youngest of which is less than a year old.

It's the "modern" necks  that have the primary adjustment screw at the heel for making bigger adjustments, along with the "fine tune" side screw that you can access without removing the neck. Never had one of these, so I can't comment on how robust the side-adjust mechanism is. But I loathe having to remove the neck to make adjustments, and that design just seemed like asking for trouble. Can't say enough good things about the "vintage modern" necks, though. I have 3 Strat and one Tele... never had any trouble with any of them. And if you haven't already, consider going with stainless frets. Bending is effortless, and you'll wear out before they do.

As for the mounting screws, 3 will line up just fine if you're buying an "in stock" neck that has already been drilled for a Strat. The remaining hole is only slightly offset...too close to drill a new one. So it will require doweling of the existing hole first, and then drilling a new one. If they're building your neck from scratch, just tell them not to drill any mounting holes, and take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

5 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Not quite... the "vintage modern" necks all have truss rod access at the headstock, and nowhere else. I have 4 of them, the youngest of which is less than a year old.

It's the "modern" necks  that have the primary adjustment screw at the heel for making bigger adjustments, along with the "fine tune" side screw that you can access without removing the neck. Never had one of these, so I can't comment on how robust the side-adjust mechanism is. But I loathe having to remove the neck to make adjustments, and that design just seemed like asking for trouble. Can't say enough good things about the "vintage modern" necks, though. I have 3 Strat and one Tele... never had any trouble with any of them. And if you haven't already, consider going with stainless frets. Bending is effortless, and you'll wear out before they do.

As for the mounting screws, 3 will line up just fine if you're buying an "in stock" neck that has already been drilled for a Strat. The remaining hole is only slightly offset...too close to drill a new one. So it will require doweling of the existing hole first, and then drilling a new one. If they're building your neck from scratch, just tell them not to drill any mounting holes, and take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Correct. Just the Modern, that was my mistake. And yes, SS frets for sure. I love them as well. And yes, I will for sure get the neck with no holes. My only real question/purpose for this post was to find out if the hole in the Line 6 body will be in line with the side adjustment (Gotoh Box) or will I be able to drill without hitting it. From the answer above it looks like there is room.

Thanks.